PDA

View Full Version : Horse and cart driver's fine withdrawn

Glass
26th September 2012, 12:15 AM
Horse and cart driver's fine withdrawn
A traffic infringement issued to a man who used his mobile phone while driving a horse and cart in the Swan Valley will be withdrawn.Ross Gundry, who has run Swan Valley Wagon Trails for the past 14 years, was recently nabbed using this mobile phone while driving his Clydesdale horse Toffee down West Swan Road.

He was issued a $250 fine.

Assistant Commissioner Gary Budge said WA police had reviewed the circumstances surrounding the traffic infringement notice and decided a caution could have been issued in the first instance.

He said the infringement would be withdrawn as a result, but such discretion would not extend to any future infringement.

“It is an offence to use a mobile phone when in control of a vehicle and the Road Traffic Act is very clear that the definition of a vehicle includes an animal being driven or ridden,” Mr Budge said.

“All persons should recognise that being on a road demands full concentration and in this particular matter there were also passengers on the wagon.

“The infringement in this case was properly issued by the officer in accordance with current legislation.”

I highlighted a specific section here. The immediate assumption people will make here is that it could potentially be a safety issue. I don't think that is the reason for this statement. I think this statement was made to make claim that the operator was involved in Traffic.

The cops claim a couple things in the article:
Passengers - this assumes these people are paying the man. They could be travelling companions not passengers.
Man runs company called Swan Valley Wagon trails

I can only surmise what may have been the real cause of this change of heart by the police but with out more particulars such as the carriage way the horse and cart were on at the time, etc it's difficult to back up anything I might think with actual FACTS - evidence of evil deeds.

Can't find the thread about what FACTS are to link in here. No mind.

Link to story (http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/14966683/horse-and-cart-drivers-fine-withdrawn/)