PDA

View Full Version : Car dealer makes clerical error of $5,600, charges buyer with automobile theft

midnight rambler
28th September 2012, 02:36 PM
http://hamptonroads.com.nyud.net/2012/09/dealership-apologizes-error-customer-arrest-0

Now it's going to cost them a helluva lot more than $5,600.

LuckyStrike
28th September 2012, 05:51 PM
I know someone who searched for a new vehicle online, found the best price, called to verify and then drove several states away to pick up the vehicle. Do the paperwork, about to leave and somebody says "oh, wait we cant sell you that car for that price" even though all of the paperwork had been signed. It was kind of a standstill (I was there with this person) and they asked "what happens if we leave, I have the key, you have the cash for the agreed amount and signed paperwork" they said they would tell the police it was a stolen vehicle. Long story short the money was paid, since we were out of state and had to be back and didn't have time to deal with the legal BS. But I have no doubt they do this crap on purpose when they know you are serious, it was also a GM.

midnight rambler
28th September 2012, 05:59 PM
I know someone who searched for a new vehicle online, found the best price, called to verify and then drove several states away to pick up the vehicle. Do the paperwork, about to leave and somebody says "oh, wait we cant sell you that car for that price" even though all of the paperwork had been signed. It was kind of a standstill (I was there with this person) and they asked "what happens if we leave, I have the key, you have the cash for the agreed amount and signed paperwork" they said they would tell the police it was a stolen vehicle. Long story short the money was paid, since we were out of state and had to be back and didn't have time to deal with the legal BS. But I have no doubt they do this crap on purpose when they know you are serious, it was also a GM.

If I had the MSO (Manufacturer's Certificate) signed and in my possession I would have damn sure driven off!* And saying 'Fuck you very much!' as I walked out the door. Whomever holds the MSO in their name OWNS the automobile, possession of the MSO is of greater importance than possession of the automobile as the MSO is the ultimate title to the automobile. So remember that when dealing with a dealer when you're an 'out of state' buyer.

*and I would have hauled ass to the nearest copy shop and found a notary to make a certified copy of the MSO via an Affidavit of Document Certification by Document Custodian

LuckyStrike
28th September 2012, 06:02 PM
If I had the MSO (Manufacturer's Certificate) signed and in my possession I would have damn sure driven off! And saying 'Fuck you very much!' as I walked out the door. Whomever holds the MSO in their name OWNS the automobile, possession of the MSO is of greater importance than possession of the automobile as the MSO is the ultimate title to the automobile. So remember that when dealing with a dealer when you're an 'out of state' buyer.

Noted, I wasn't the one buying the car so I kept my mouth shut, but yeah had it been me I would've given them a lot more hell. Like I said though being that we were out of state even though we were in the right who has a few days to sort out all of the legal BS.

midnight rambler
28th September 2012, 06:08 PM
Noted, I wasn't the one buying the car so I kept my mouth shut, but yeah had it been me I would've given them a lot more hell. Like I said though being that we were out of state even though we were in the right who has a few days to sort out all of the legal BS.

The very moment a judge saw you had the MSO in hand and in your name (which is why you would need to make a couple of certified copies, one to mail to yourself and hide the other nearby) he'd (HAVE TO) cut you loose.