PDA

View Full Version : bought a new chainsaw today...

freespirit
6th October 2012, 08:46 PM
was on my way out to my fathers place to give him a hand clearing some brush today. stopped at canadian tire for some work gloves, and grabbed one of these...33cc motor, 14" bar, auto oil feed and fully assembled for $99cdn, regular price $169.

i know, i know, it's not a stihl, lol, but those are a little out of my price range for the moment, and this will be handy for camping and will do what i need till i can afford something bigger and better.

for what it's worth, this thing worked like a charm right out of the box, everything was solid, no loose nuts or bolts, and fired right up after just a few pulls. nice and light too. i think i could strap it to my backpack or BOB pretty easily.

LuckyStrike
6th October 2012, 09:03 PM
For 99 bucks you really can't beat it.

I never realized how expensive chainsaws could be until I priced Husquvarnas a while back those are no joke, unless I used it weekly I could never justify spending 5x more than this Poulan (or more)

milehi
6th October 2012, 09:23 PM
I had to (ahem) log in to see what you picked up. I worked for a utility co where we did eveything ourselves. When the bark beetle decimated half the forest, we dropped our own trees on district property. For limbing, we bought Poulon and Echo saws and figuered they'd be disposable, but they kept chuggin' along. I run a larger Stihl 440 Magnum only because I can use a larger bar for dropping pickup loads of firewood

freespirit
8th October 2012, 12:18 PM
when it rains, it pours, lol...

today i pop by a friend's house and told him about my new saw. he bought the same one a couple of years ago that has a brand new bar and chain, but the motor doesn't run right. he also has a larger, running 44cc one with a 20" bar (i think) and a couple of extra chains, as well as three brand new chains for the 14" one.

he sold me the whole works for $25!!

score!! lol ;D

Dogman
8th October 2012, 12:43 PM
That exact saw, shows up here at very near that price. Usually labeled as "Reconditioned" by the factory.

I bought one years ago and it still runs great, It has gone through 2 or three bars and several chains. I have another one (Husqvaran) that has a larger bar for cutting bigger stuff.

SLV^GLD
8th October 2012, 01:42 PM
I have a Poulan that t I think is 16" but may well be the 14" and it works just dandy. I've had it running with zero issues for right at 10 years now. I recently replaced the chain and was impressed at how much improvement I got from that. I recall cutting up a birdock tree some time ago and it seems that it had really put a dent in the chain's capability.

skid
14th October 2012, 10:12 PM
I have a 660 Stihl that I paid over a grand for. It's a big saw and I could use a smaller saw for limbing. Let us know how it lasts...