PDA

View Full Version : squirrel recipes please!

big country
7th October 2012, 12:34 PM
Well I finally shot my third squirrel of the season, so its time to cook them now. Any recipes you would like to share? I've never cooked my own, my mom always cooked them when I was a kid. Finally got my own woods to hunt them in now and need some recipes. Thanks!

I once had a sweet/sticky yet spicy fried squirrel, but never got the recipe...anyone have anything like this?

gunDriller
7th October 2012, 12:49 PM
Do you eat the guts ?

Is squirrel meat actually tasty by itself, or do you need a marinade or something in order to make it taste good ?

big country
7th October 2012, 01:24 PM
I personally do not eat the guts, though some eat the heart/lungs/liver or use them as part of gravy. I just eat the meat, it tastes fine, as most would say "like chicken" meaning it doesn't really have a distinctive taste of its own. If you've had rabbit, it is very similar.

gunDriller
7th October 2012, 04:01 PM
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-chicken-nuggets/

Original recipe makes 30 nuggets Change Servings

3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1 tablespoon dried basil

1/2 cup butter, melted

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Cut chicken breasts into 1 1/2-inch sized pieces. In a medium bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, cheese, salt, thyme and basil. Mix well. Put melted butter in a bowl or dish for dipping.
Dip chicken pieces into the melted butter first, then coat with the breadcrumb mixture. Place the well-coated chicken pieces on a lightly greased cookie sheet in a single layer, and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.

Squirrel McNuggets, anybody ?

LuckyStrike
7th October 2012, 08:22 PM
I don't eat them anymore, but the squirrels and rabbits I have eaten have been pretty gamey.

Can't really help with recipes OP, I've just cooked mine over a fire while camping, nothing real elaborate.

hoarder
7th October 2012, 08:38 PM
Cajuns put squirrels in gumbo and what I've eaten was good. The problem with rabbits and squirrels is that they are able to survive with very little water. That's what makes them gamey. Same problem with mule deer.

gunDriller
8th October 2012, 06:37 AM
seems like Liquid Smoke and a book barbecue sauce, e.g. Sweet Baby Ray's, will go a long way to reviving some marginal meat.

at least it has on the old cow i have now eaten about 1/2 of.