PDA

View Full Version : Street lights in Britain turned off by the thousands - to reduce carbon emissions

midnight rambler
29th October 2012, 05:06 PM
And to save money on electricity.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9637929/Street-lights-turned-off-in-their-thousands-to-meet-carbon-emission-targets.html

horseshoe3
29th October 2012, 05:49 PM
Good. Maybe some US cities can follow suit and cut down on light pollution. I'm more isolated than much of the population. The nearest town is 15 miles away - pop 3,000. The next biggest town is 12,000 and 25 miles away. Then comes the 50,000 town 35 miles away. On any given night, the glow from these 3 towns lights up more than half of the horizon. There is no need for that. Just a couple decades ago, when I was a kid, it got dark out here. Now, there is no such thing as a dark night. The populations of these towns has increased a total of maybe 10%, but their light output has multiplied many times over.

chad
29th October 2012, 05:52 PM
i love living far away form town. the stars go down to the ground on cold, winter nights.

sirgonzo420
29th October 2012, 05:55 PM
Good. Now Britons can see the stars.

Dogman
29th October 2012, 05:58 PM
i love living far away form town. the stars go down to the ground on cold, winter nights. Sky's without "Sky glow" bring out the stars to the point you feel you can almost touch them. And on very clear nights, it is totally humbling.

chad
29th October 2012, 06:00 PM
i know, it's awesome. we wait until january or so and a zero degree or colder night. the kids and i (my wife laughs at us and stays inside) take these huge blankets we have out side and lay them in the snow in the back field. we gear up and can lay there for about 45 minutes or so before they start getting cold. we just lay there and look at them.

Serpo
30th October 2012, 03:19 AM
What a bunch of idiots, its good to see the stars but if this is the best governments can do its pathetic and really annoys me.

Fundamental change is required and they come up with these things so it looks like they are doing something when really they are not.

Germany did something,no one else has much.

Neuro
30th October 2012, 03:56 AM
North Korean policy adoption? Yes I think it is nice to see the stars on clear nights without light pollution, and I think one can save on the amount of street lights and their strength... Just outside my house in Sweden I have this orange Sodium light, which I find is an extremely ugly and annoying type of light. Would prefer a white or a yellow toned light...

palani
30th October 2012, 04:31 AM
i know, it's awesome.

Try it sometime with a Gen III nitescope. You'll see more stars than you knew existed even with cloud cover.

midnight rambler
30th October 2012, 07:17 AM
Try it sometime with a Gen III nitescope. You'll see more stars than you knew existed even with cloud cover.

+1

Better than any recreational drugs. When Carl Sagan said, "...billions and billions of stars" he was being conservative.

mick silver
30th October 2012, 07:23 AM
what horseshoe said

sirgonzo420
30th October 2012, 07:25 AM
+1

Better than any recreational drugs. When Carl Sagan said, "...billions and billions of stars" he was being conservative.

And he was still being conservative when he said that there are far more galaxies than people!

Horn
30th October 2012, 08:19 AM
What a bunch of idiots, its good to see the stars but if this is the best governments can do its pathetic and really annoys me.

Fundamental change is required and they come up with these things so it looks like they are doing something when really they are not.

Germany did something,no one else has much.

Don't expect them to reduce emissions that much, the game right now is how much you can reduce as opposed to the "ignorant" freeman from the next county. Close wins are considered better in the press.

This determines how good a light you stand in front of the Queen currently. Later it will be if you can be a good prisoner and stand still without making your chains rattle.

Uncle Salty
30th October 2012, 11:11 AM
How the heck are all their spy cams going to catch criminals at night if the lights are off?

What a bunch of dumb fuckers. And here I thought they were dedicated to an all Orwellian world. Pussies. Keep the lights on and spy on us like you mean it!