PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Forgiveness

steel_ag
8th November 2012, 07:26 PM
Source: www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Judaism/2002/06/Fighting-Forgiveness.aspx {0}

What does Judaism teach about forgiveness?

A Hasidic parable tells of a King who quarreled with his son. In a fit of rage, the King exiled his son from the Kingdom. Years passed, and the son wandered alone through the world. In time, the King's heart softened, and he sent his ministers to find his son and ask him to return. When they located the young man, he answered them that he could not return to the kingdom--he had been too hurt, and his heart still harbored bitterness. The ministers brought back the sad news to their King.

The King told them to bring his son the following message: "Return as far as you can, and I will come the rest of the way to meet you."

This is a story about hardness of heart, faith, forgiveness and love. Whether we identify with the king or the child, we all understand what it is to fight against forgiveness. At times we feel as if, to use the imagery of the Talmud, clay rises in our hearts, and we feel stony instead of soft. We tell ourselves that forgiveness is not deserved. Our anger is just.

The triumph of the King was that he overcame the rage that had mastered his feelings, and led to the exile of one he had loved. Forgiveness is the lightening of our own hearts. The darkness of hatred, of rage and contempt that we harbor inside rarely injure the unforgiven as much as they do the one who will not forgive. We imagine that our continued anger is so powerful that it will bring sorrow and ruin on those against whom we hold a grudge. But its influence is far more dangerous for our own hearts.

According to one rabbinic tradition, Rosh Hashannah (the Jewish New Year) celebrates the day of the creation of human beings. That sixth day of creation, the same tradition goes on to teach, is the day in which Adam and Eve were placed in the garden, ate the fruit, were ejected from the garden, and were forgiven by God.

Old Herb Lady
15th November 2012, 06:30 PM
https://images.encyclopediadramatica.se/thumb/3/30/MrSockpuppet.jpg/270px-MrSockpuppet.jpg (http://gold-silver.us/File:MrSockpuppet.jpg)

Glass
15th November 2012, 07:04 PM
Where blood is thicker than water this may be possible. Where there is no such clanship, there is much less chance of forgiveness in my experience but having said that, where there is shared loss there can often be more readiness to forgive regardless of the relationship.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
15th November 2012, 07:15 PM
As far as forgiveness goes, I have found that speed is of the essence. If you are going to forgive someone, do so quickly. Don't let your proverbial son leave in the first place.

Oftentimes acting in anger and only later forgiving the other party causes the other party to not accept. Then you have to work on forgiving yourself - because you acted foolishly.

So if you are going to eventually forgive someone, you might as well do it sooner rather than later.

General of Darkness
15th November 2012, 07:16 PM
Jews have hearts? I don't believe it.

steel_ag
15th November 2012, 07:35 PM
Jews have hearts? I don't believe it.

I remember someone on this forum talking about Kol Nidre once....I am not a subject matter expert on this matter

belief systems.....