PDA

View Full Version : What about truffle farming?

steel_ag
8th November 2012, 07:39 PM
Source: http://www.natruffling.org/faq.htm#storage

How do I store truffles?
Truffles can be stored for several days in a paper bag (never in plastic!) in the refrigerator. They can be frozen for several months in a glass jar. They can be immersed in olive oil, and the oil will absorb the flavor, however shelf life at room temperature is limited without pasteurization. Some folks store truffles in dry white rice, but this is not recommended as the rice will tend to draw the moisture and aroma away from the truffles, diffusing and diluting the aroma. Ideally, truffles should be used as fresh as possible, unless you are in the enviable situation of having too many!
Back to top...

I found a truffle. What is it?
What? You don't have your very own copy of the NATS Field Guide to Selected North American Truffles and Truffle-like Fungi? You can get one here! Alternatively, you can mail specimens to the Trufflemaster for identification. Truffles should be dried thoroughly before mailing (see below). For more infomation on sending truffles for identification click here. Include your email address, collection location and habitat data, and any notes about unique fresh characteristics (odor, staining reactions, etc.).
Back to top...

How do I dry truffles?
Truffles should be dried before sending to the Trufflemaster for identification, but not if you intend to eat them. Fresh truffles sent through the mail often arrive as an unrecognizable furry odiferous lump - not a good thing! Ideally, truffles to be mailed for identification should be dried on a regular food dehydrator. If you don't have a dehydrator, leave them in the fridge in a loosely closed paper bag for about 3 days, this will dry them quite well (Caution: This may impart a truffle flavor all other foods in the refrigerator!). Truffles dry a lot faster if they are cut in half first. For more information on sending truffles for identification click here.
Back to top...

What about truffle farming?
Businesses that sell trees inoculated with truffle mycorrhiza can easily be found on the internet. Results are not guaranteed and can take years. It is a good idea to get sample trees assessed for root colonization by an independent lab (such as MycoRoots).
Back to top...

How do I find my local mycological club?
Go to the excellent Club Directory on the NAMA website!
Back to top...