PDA

View Full Version : Collectibles Discussion

EE_
12th November 2012, 10:23 AM
What do you think the value of many collectibles will be as people run out of disposable income and inflation takes hold.

Personally, I sold off my collectible/numismatic coin collection in the last year, every time gold and silver were reaching a peak. It seemed to be the best time to move them and I did pretty well.
I sold other collectibles too, that have no use for barter or usefulness in the coming crash.

Ebay costs are high, but there are not many options for getting rid of these things.

Is it time to dump your collectible items, or hold on to them?
What do you think the future for the collectible market is?
Do you think laws will change allowing the government to tax the sales of these items?
Do you think buyers will dry up when the next crisis hits?
What should be dumped? Luxury 2nd cars, boats, motorcycles, etc?

Do you think the money would be better spent on more preps, barterable items, or more bullion?

Thoughts?

mamboni
12th November 2012, 10:29 AM
What do you think the value of many collectibles will be as people run out of disposable income and inflation takes hold.

Personally, I sold off my collectible/numismatic coin collection in the last year, every time gold and silver were reaching a peak. It seemed to be the best time to move them and I did pretty well.
I sold other collectibles too, that have no use for barter or usefulness in the coming crash.

Ebay costs are high, but there are not many options for getting rid of these things.

Is it time to dump your collectible items, or hold on to them?
What do you think the future for the collectible market is?
Do you think laws will change allowing the government to tax the sales of these items?
Do you think buyers will dry up when the next crisis hits?

Do you think the money would be better spent on more preps, barterable items, or more bullion?

Thoughts?

Yes

Poor

Yes

Yes

Everything except gold, silver, firearms and ammo and anything with utility in a survivalist environment. Yes, dump these now.

Yes, get all three in equal proportions once you have enough preps.

Yes, see above

FreeEnergy
12th November 2012, 10:46 AM

We are pretty far from NYC and their gasoline problems. But this weekend I noticed that there's NO Premium gas sold on some gas stations. That got me thinking, if so little is needed to put in jeopardy luxury german cars that require premium gas, what can be coming?...

Ponce
12th November 2012, 11:01 AM
I decided to just stand to one side till the people get hungry and start selling what they have for pennies on the dollar.

People don't think, for example.....somebody paid $1,600 for a race bike seven years ago and only used it twice, so that the bike is still like new, he needs cash so that he will sell it for $500.00.....he will find no takers and lower the price to $300.00 and once again no takers.....lower the price to $150.00 and someone will but it............but.......in those seven years since he bought the bike the dollar has gone down from $1.00 to 0.60 cents so that he is actually selling the bike for $90.00, meanwhile........the guy who bought the bike paid $5.16 for an oz for silver and now the price is of $90.00 so the buyer actually paid only $5.16 for the bike.........

mamboni
12th November 2012, 11:13 AM
I decided to just stand to one side till the people get hungry and start selling what they have for pennies on the dollar.

People don't think, for example.....somebody paid $1,600 for a race bike seven years ago and only used it twice, so that the bike is still like new, he needs cash so that he will sell it for $500.00.....he will find no takers and lower the price to $300.00 and once again no takers.....lower the price to $150.00 and someone will but it............but.......in those seven years since he bought the bike the dollar has gone down from $1.00 to 0.60 cents so that he is actually selling the bike for $90.00, meanwhile........the guy who bought the bike paid $5.16 for an oz for silver and now the price is of $90.00 so the buyer actually paid only $5.16 for the bike.........

Yes, timing is everything. I always feel a little guilty when someone has to sell at severe discount and I will generally pay a little more to show good will. Even now on Ebay stuff is selling for 90% more discount when you factor dollar devaluation since 2001. In the same time period gold and silver have gone up 5-6 fold.

gunDriller
12th November 2012, 01:04 PM
short answer, i think it depends a lot on the community.

in a wealthy community where you can sell on consignment at a dealer with good store security, then collectibles are good. you might actually find some guy that wants to buy a signed Mickey Mantle baseball for $1000 on his way from work.

in the country, and in less wealthy communities, i think it is better to have less "product differentiation", to rely less on collectibles, and to go for reliable valuable marketable objects - like Gold Eagles.

Rubberchicken
12th November 2012, 01:20 PM
I recently sold some old metal signs, thermometers and other assorted old advertising collectibles after I responded to an ad in the local paper. They were items i've had for a long time but they were piled in the garage collecting dust and more often than not, in the way. Surprised by the amount I received the next stop was the the LCS and then the ammo depot. Not high end items by no means but i managed a roll of silver eagles, tenth oz eagle and some extra ammo. No sellers remorse here.

milehi
12th November 2012, 02:41 PM

I did this last Friday. I traded same for same at the brick and mortar, and took the numismatic markup profit and spent it on brass and a pallet of dogfood.

I'm about to do an e bay selloff too, before user costs get higher. Shipping too. It's like death by a thousand cuts.

EE_
12th November 2012, 03:47 PM
Now I'll tell you what I really think...

I have the same feeling now as I did the day after Katrina (August 23, 2005) struck the gulf.
The day after Katrina I went to work and stood in front of my crew of about 10 men. I said to them "did you hear that giant crack sound?" They asked what crack? I said that was the housing market cracking!
I was later vindicated by people that wrote about this event, echoing my very thoughts.

It was a game changing event, much like 9/11 was that sent us to war. I also said to workers at the Paseo Colorado mall in Pasadena the morning of 9/11 just as the second building was hit...we are going to war! I knew that second we were.

I have that same feeling again.
Sandy is another such event that has changed things. I think this disaster is much bigger then most have any idea of. I think this event is going to break the backs of many institutions. Some of this disaster is still hidden.

The money isn't there to repair the damage and I think in many ways the damage is worse then we are led to believe. As a result, thousands will be thrown into the welfare system permanently. Homes won't be rebuilt and 250,000+ cars will not be insured either. 10's of thousands will be leaving the damaged area. Where will they go? All added in, I think the losses are going to be much higher then first assessed.

To a lessor extent...add to this the Obomo re-election/power grab and the escalation of war in the Middle east involving Israel. We could be headed for the next leg down. No great revelation here with gsus people.

I don't think it's near time to hunker down, but I do think it's time to make some of your last moves to consolidate and adjust priorities...and that includes dumping anything useless to buy the things we've discussed here.

I don't know what has broken this time, whether it's the next leg down on housing or the big bust...I just feel like something has changed again.

Outside of all that, everything is great! :)

milehi
12th November 2012, 04:46 PM
I guess we'll see in six months.

MNeagle
12th November 2012, 06:00 PM
Resident expert: http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?28056-Bartering-And-Horse-Trading-(Part-Duh)

Ponce
12th November 2012, 06:10 PM
Be ready for all and afraid of none.......I really don't know what else to do since I have been getting ready for the past 14 years..........I only wished that I was about 20 years younger so that I could join the fun...hummmmmmmmm, the fun will probably come to me..........it is a good day to die.

AndreaGail
12th November 2012, 06:54 PM
I was big into sports cards back in high school but cashed out for about $1000 (although put much more into it that that) and put it all into silver when it was $15ish an oz back around 08

I have tried to liquidate that everything I own collectible or miscellaneous that can fetch some money now but most certainly wont in the future, the exceptions being antiques and stuff that I could foresee have utility

Twisted Titan
13th November 2012, 05:13 AM
Every paycheck is flying outta my hands at the speed of light

Good quality blades,tactical gear, generators food preps ammo rechargeable batteries,Fenix flashlights on and on

What i had protected my family and made sure we werent refugees.

Anything that doesnt have instrinsic or heirloom value should be liquidated with all possible speed

Sell......while Suckers are still willing to buy

woodman
13th November 2012, 06:51 AM
Every paycheck is flying outta my hands at the speed of light

Good quality blades,tactical gear, generators food preps ammo rechargeable batteries,Fenix flashlights on and on

What i had protected my family and made sure we werent refugees.

Anything that doesnt have instrinsic or heirloom value should be liquidated with all possible speed

Sell......while Suckers are still willing to buy

TT, were you in an area affected by the storm? I know you were in New York but not sure where. I've been working in the Buffalo area and no problems there.

woodman
13th November 2012, 06:54 AM
I am thinking about getting a woodstove that will be a decent back-up cook stove. If things get real bad, the electric will be pretty spotty and a wood fired stove will be worth it's weight.

mick silver
13th November 2012, 07:37 AM
woodman that would be the best thing you could do . i got a wood cook stove last year for 285 bucks and it lools new . best thing about it outside in a small building that we can open up to cook in the summer with an close it up in winter . hey look for the cook stoves with a water tank on the side of it , best 285 bucks i ever spented

steel_ag
13th November 2012, 08:18 AM
People don't think, for example.....
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_irrationality

"Rational irrationality versus doublethink

Rational irrationality is not doublethink -- it does not state that the individual deliberately chooses to believe something he or she knows to be false. Rather, the theory is that, when the costs of having erroneous beliefs are low, people relax their intellectual standards and allow themselves to be more easily influenced by fallacious reasoning, cognitive biases, and emotional appeals. In other words, people do not deliberately seek to believe false things but rather stop putting in the intellectual effort to be open to evidence that may contradict their beliefs."

Ponce
13th November 2012, 08:22 AM
Before coming up with my squeeze balls I was selling knifes at the swap meet and still have around 50 of them put away, they are not "quality" blades but in what is to come as long as they cut that will be the only thing that tey will care about.

steel_ag
13th November 2012, 08:29 AM
...in what is to come....

a lot of cutting