PDA

View Full Version : Ground beef recipes please

chud
12th November 2012, 02:53 PM
Anyone have a favorite recipe that uses ground beef?

Thanks.

milehi
12th November 2012, 03:00 PM
I would make shepard's pie.

osoab
12th November 2012, 03:05 PM
Cheese Burgers.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1075372/randy-trailer-park-boys_medium.jpg
http://brentroad.com/photos/00511410.jPG
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6t92wR7qF1r9t0eso1_400.jpg

Shami-Amourae
12th November 2012, 03:08 PM
Grass or corn fed?

ImaCannin
12th November 2012, 05:46 PM
Zucchini Scramble
ecipe type: Main
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_TVBh9h_RA28/THLhPNuvzFI/AAAAAAAACr4/D1JE3_nI0Iw/zucchini%20scramble%20in%20dish_thumb%5B6%5D.jpg?i mgmax=800

Serves: 4 – 6
Ingredients
1 small onion
3 small zucchini
2 Tablespoon millet flour (or other gf flour)
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon dried basil or dill (or other herb of choice)
1 Tablespoon coconut oil (or oil of choice)
1 pound ground beef
6 eggs
1/4 cup water
salt & pepper to taste
Instructions
Chop the onion.
Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and then slice it.
Add the flour to the zucchini slices and toss to coat.
Heat the oil in a large skillet and stir-fry the zucchini, onion, and garlic with the basil or dill until the onion and zucchini are tender.
In a separate skillet, brown the ground beef and drain.
Combine the beef and vegetables in one skillet. Season with salt and pepper.
Beat the eggs with the water (or milk) and pour it over the mixture in the skillet.
Heat and stir until the egg is set.

MNeagle
12th November 2012, 05:55 PM
go to www.allrecipes.com (http://www.allrecipes.com) & "search by ingredient".

My standbys are chili, spaghetti, tacos, meatloaf, meatballs, goulash, etc.

ImaCannin
12th November 2012, 06:09 PM
Cheeseburger Rice
http://glutenfreehomemaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Cheeseburger-Rice.jpg
Ingredients
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1/2 c. catsup
2 Tb. mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
3 c. cooked rice
1 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
Instructions
In a large skillet, brown the beef and sauté the onion. Drain. Add the catsup, mustard, salt and pepper and mix. Stir in the cooked rice and heat until hot through. Sprinkle the cheese over top, or mix it in.
Note: You might notice the orange bell pepper in my photo. I had some that needed to be used so I added it. It wasn’t bad, but I wouldn’t do it again. It’s just not a typical cheeseburger flavor.

woodman
12th November 2012, 06:35 PM
Hamburg pie.

1 lb burger
1 onion
1 can peas
12 oz heinze catsup
1/2 block velveeta cheese
4 cups mashed potatoes
salt, pepper, garlic to taste

brown burger, drain grease. Put in a baking pan. Put in onions, peas, catsup, salt, pepper and garlic. Mix up and even out in pan bottom and put a layer of sliced Velveeta on top. Now layer mashed potatoes on top. Place in oven and cook at 350 until cheese and potatoes start to melt into each other.

Glass
12th November 2012, 07:36 PM
Hamburg pie.

1 lb burger
1 onion
1 can peas
12 oz heinze catsup
1/2 block velveeta cheese
4 cups mashed potatoes
salt, pepper, garlic to taste

brown burger, drain grease. Put in a baking pan. Put in onions, peas, catsup, salt, pepper and garlic. Mix up and even out in pan bottom and put a layer of sliced Velveeta on top. Now layer mashed potatoes on top. Place in oven and cook at 350 until cheese and potatoes start to melt into each other.

I would make shepard's pie.

Nice one

woodman
12th November 2012, 07:48 PM
Nice one

Yes, it is known also as Shepard's pie. It is the best I've had, at least how my wife makes it. The kids and grandkids always clamor for it and there is rarely any leftover. It is really good cold, the next day if it makes it that far.

woodman
12th November 2012, 07:53 PM
Another wickedly good hamburger recipe is Tamale Pie. A sort of Shepard pie made Mexican style. You make up hamburger with chile powder and salt, pepper and garlic, 1/4 of green pepper chopped and use corn instead of peas, add onion and tomato juice instead of catsup, enough to cover the meat mixture slightly and pour cornmeal batter (follow recipe on back of cornmeal) over top. The cornmeal batter will sink into the pie and dissapear into the juice but as it cooks it will rise and cover the top with delicious cornmeal.

lapis
12th November 2012, 08:45 PM
Another wickedly good hamburger recipe is Tamale Pie.

Mmm, that sounds good. I make something like that without the cornmeal batter. Will have to add it next time!

chud
12th November 2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks everybody, good stuff.

gunDriller
13th November 2012, 06:45 AM
i mix in smoke flavoring, diced onions, parmesan if i have it, starting with marinated meat. grind the meat by hand.

the beef i'm currently using has zero fat - well maybe a little, but it's gross looking and the chickens like it.

i stopped by the beef counter at the supermarket yesterday just to look at well-marbled beef. makes me look forward to finishing off the cow beef. probably got about 5 more months.

steel_ag
13th November 2012, 08:04 AM
ground chuck.

Source: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080126102628AArc5o4

What's the difference between ground beef and ground chuck?

5 years ago
Report Abuse

Additional Details
I'm pretty sure it's not ground Chuck Norris... but seriously, what's the difference?

5 years ago
vicki o vicki o
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
First, you have regular ground which commonly comes from the plate (underbelly) and breast of the cow. This is not the choicest of meats and tends to be very fatty, grisly and, in lesser grades, can contain some bone chips. Regular ground beef is the least purchased ground simply because Americans are becoming more health conscience and don't mind paying an extra 50 cents per pound for better quality. This area on the cow is also where corned beef and brisket come from. Usually, when your butcher or their packager is processing regular ground beef, they will add in fat found from other parts of the cow. This gives the percentage of fat figure that is seen on your ground beef packaging (e.g. 75-80% lean means that 20-25% of the package is really fat, also known as suet).

Secondly, you can purchase ground chuck. This is the most popular ground on the market. Ground chuck comes from the shoulder and neck area of the cow and is usually very fatty but also has an immense amount of flavoring. This is why such cuts of meat as a chuck roast are favored for a hearty winter meal. Served with potatoes and gravy, this cut can be especially delicious but has a downside of too many fat calories. Sometimes, when processing ground chuck, the butcher will blend a better grade of fat (if necessary) in with the meat. This fat comes from other "chuck type" cuts of meat such as rib-eye steaks. Ground chuck is great for a juicy burgers and mouth watering meatloaf.

Your third choice is ground round. The "round" area is actually the rear or rump of the cow. This is the area where a rump roast, round steaks and round roasts come from. This meat is high in flavor, very lean and also a tad bit chewy. Perfect for a slow cooked pot roast that won't accelerate your fat intake. Ground round is an ideal choice for tacos, lean meatloaf and sloppy joes. It also works well with most Hamburger Helpers since it requires little draining due to the lack of fat content.

Lastly, ground sirloin is approaching almost a cult-type status among the very health conscience who don't want to sacrifice on taste. Generally, a good sirloin cut of meat will have a marbling texture of fat throughout the meat that is completely different from the chunks found in a chuck. This gives an almost angelic blend of fat and flavor for burgers that will truly out of this world.

steel_ag
13th November 2012, 08:07 AM
slankers two thumbs up. that is all.

Source: http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/

lapis
13th November 2012, 02:06 PM
Good information for the most part, but I resent the lean meat = healthy slant.

ground chuck.

First, you have regular ground which commonly comes from the plate (underbelly) and breast of the cow. This is not the choicest of meats and tends to be very fatty, grisly and, in lesser grades, can contain some bone chips.

Nothing wrong with these extras!

Regular ground beef is the least purchased ground simply because Americans are becoming more health conscience [sic] and don't mind paying an extra 50 cents per pound for better quality.

Hmmm, can being "health" conscious by cutting fat have led to the increase in the amount of junk eaten and obesity rates? Almost everyone I know has cut fat and/or meat out of their diets, but aren't healthy for it.

This area on the cow is also where corned beef and brisket come from. Usually, when your butcher or their packager is processing regular ground beef, they will add in fat found from other parts of the cow. This gives the percentage of fat figure that is seen on your ground beef packaging (e.g. 75-80% lean means that 20-25% of the package is really fat, also known as suet).

Um, suet is the kind of fat that is only found around an animal's kidneys...and is perfectly fine to eat.

Secondly, you can purchase ground chuck. This is the most popular ground on the market. Ground chuck comes from the shoulder and neck area of the cow and is usually very fatty but also has an immense amount of flavoring. This is why such cuts of meat as a chuck roast are favored for a hearty winter meal. Served with potatoes and gravy, this cut can be especially delicious but has a downside of too many fat calories.

*Groan*

I've never eaten so few calories as when I was on a low-carb high-fat diet (which wasn't a good thing, trust me). Fat is filling and prevents you from eating junk!

steel_ag
13th November 2012, 02:16 PM
Source: http://www.dreammanifesto.com/resentment-real-danger-happiness.html

Resentment – A Real Danger to the State of Happiness
By Julian Burke in Forgiveness on July 8th, 2009 / 5 Comments

Resentment is a common emotion, though commonly misunderstood. We may not always be able to control our other emotions, but we at least understand anger, love, despair and the rest. Resentment is an emotion that we often feel without fully recognizing it for what it is, or even being able to properly put the name to it.

What is Resentment?
Before we can deal with resentment, we need to understand what it is and how it affects us. Resentment is a feeling of displeasure or indignation that stems from an incident, real or perceived, that is hurtful. When you resent someone it will color all your future interactions, no matter how trivial, with that person.

Resentment can be open or concealed, immediate or delayed.

Sometimes resentment sits right on the surface. You may resent a coworker who gets ahead by taking undo credit for your work. You may resent a friend’s patronizing attitude toward your hobby or maybe your ex’s new beau. There is no end to the number of issues, large and small, that have fired a sense of resentment in people. Resentment can sneak up on the best prepared of all of us. It is how we handle it that matters – how and how soon. The longer we let resentment linger, the more powerful it becomes.

The Cure for Resentment
The cure for resentment, as with many other negative emotions, is forgiveness. The only way to get past resenting someone for something is to forgive that one for that thing. As devastating as resentment is, if it is open and on the surface then resentment is usually a relatively easy cure once the resent-er acknowledges his need to forgive and deal honestly with the resent-ee.

Hidden, or unrecognized resentment is a thornier issue. Resentment can be a subtle but devastating obstacle on the road to happiness and self-fulfillment. Unlike outright anger or contempt, resentment can linger in our thoughts and on our hearts without us realizing that it is there.

Because it is harder to spot, some people will harbor deep resentment toward others without any conscious knowledge that there is a problem. But when situations become tense, those old resentments find their way to the surface, impeding resolution and fueling the fires of conflict.

If left unchecked, resentment can linger after the situation is seemingly resolved. Often resentment will still fester long after apologies are exchanged and all is superficially forgiven. This concealed resentment poses a real danger to our happiness. The first step to releasing the negative emotion and moving toward happiness is recognizing that there is a problem. There are three common signs of concealed resentment: distrust, questioning motives, and bitterness.

Someone holding on to resentment will often demonstrate an unfounded distrust and suspicion of the other person, sometimes without consciously realizing it. It may be in matters completely unrelated to the initial incident.

Resolving a Conflict between Two Teenagers
Say two teenagers, Janie and Susie, have a conflict over who misplaced Susie’s favorite hairbrush. They may make up. They may apologize. They may appear to move on completely.

But if Susie holds on to her resentment, believing deep down that Janie really did take her hairbrush, that resentment may boil over into other matters altogether. She may hold Janie accountable for more than her fair share of their homework project; she may think Janie is making advances on Susie’s boyfriend.

If there is a lingering resentment, it could show up in any interaction between the two, even if it is completely unrelated to the original issue. In fact, many times it is more likely to come up elsewhere because Susie feels secretly ashamed for still resenting Janie after they made up.

Fixed Attention
Another common sign of unsettled resentment is an unusual level of attention to the other person’s motives in mundane actions. This is really a manifestation of projecting one’s own feelings of displeasure onto the other person. Going back to the previous example of Susie and Janie, Susie may think that Janie is suddenly acting “fake”. Susie finds herself questioning if Janie really meant it when she said she liked her earrings, or the real reason that Janie offered to drive them to the mall.

The motive behind the other person’s actions becomes more and more suspect as time goes on. Soon, the offender is simply assumed to be duplicitous in everything. Resentment like this can ruin a relationship quickly if it is not dealt with properly.

The Sign of Bitterness
The third sign is simply a bitterness that shows itself whenever the other person is around, though it may not necessarily be overtly directed at that person. Many times resentment couples with the previously mentioned sense of shame when a person knows that they should not feel that way.

The result can be an unfocused, unproductive sense of bitterness every time the other person is around. Because the bitterness has become detached from the real issue that sparked the resentment, it has no real focus and we tend to lash out at anyone in the vicinity.

This presents a great danger to our happiness because it affects not only our already troubled relationship, but our other relationships as well. This can begin a downward spiral, or domino effect, that works its way through the resentful person’s entire life.

Resentment does not always focus on a person. We can resent a pet, a company, a religion, even our own bodies. In order to get past the feeling of resentment we need to look at the root cause of our resentment.

Do I really resent the dog, or do I resent my wife for buying the dog without consulting me? Is it the church, or the gossipy neighbor who goes there? Not always, but usually, there is a person on the other end of our resentment, a person who needs our forgiveness just as much as we need to forgive them.

The remedy for resentment: The Choice of Forgiveness

Neuro
13th November 2012, 02:33 PM
i mix in smoke flavoring, diced onions, parmesan if i have it, starting with marinated meat. grind the meat by hand.

the beef i'm currently using has zero fat - well maybe a little, but it's gross looking and the chickens like it.

i stopped by the beef counter at the supermarket yesterday just to look at well-marbled beef. makes me look forward to finishing off the cow beef. probably got about 5 more months.
LOL, I admire your dedication to eating that prolapsed cow... Maybe, you should take a holiday from it now and then, and eat some good beef once in a while... Who knows maybe shit hits the fan within 5 months, and that could be it in getting good cuts of prime beef, plus having a good amount of that old cow in the freezer, is a good prep. Life is short after all, and the cash you spend now, may not be worth very much later.

gunDriller
13th November 2012, 03:13 PM
Another wickedly good hamburger recipe is Tamale Pie. A sort of Shepard pie made Mexican style. You make up hamburger with chile powder and salt, pepper and garlic, 1/4 of green pepper chopped and use corn instead of peas, add onion and tomato juice instead of catsup, enough to cover the meat mixture slightly and pour cornmeal batter (follow recipe on back of cornmeal) over top. The cornmeal batter will sink into the pie and dissapear into the juice but as it cooks it will rise and cover the top with delicious cornmeal.

i envy you folks that can eat hot foods.

Old Herb Lady
13th November 2012, 03:32 PM

If your stomach can't handle hot foods, then try some slippery elm bark before you eat it.
It will coat your stomach with goodness and then voila ! Enjoy !

No need to resent or forgive or any of that stuff. Oops wrong thread for that, sorry gun driller ! :)

woodman
13th November 2012, 03:40 PM

I pay the price for the enjoyment though. When I was young it would not affect me at all but now that I'm in my 50's it can be a pain in the ass the next morning. Funny thing I noticed: I quit drinking beer for about 3 months to loose weight and afterwards my gut can handle hot stuff with little pain the next day. I guess the daily allotment of alchohol was taking it's toll on my stomach lining.

Love chili, the hotter the better. Good way to use up the hamburger or venison of lesser quality.

chud
1st January 2013, 01:35 PM
Cheeseburger Rice

Thanks ImaCannin, this was a hit with my family.