PDA

View Full Version : listen to your Local police, fire on internet..

Shorty Harris
21st November 2012, 04:07 AM
There is some question as to weather or not it is live. Seems to be for my local area as every hour on the Hour the time similar the the old time info you would get on the phone is relayed.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/

Could be a useful tool

Cebu_4_2
21st November 2012, 07:57 AM
very uneventful here.

Glass
21st November 2012, 11:21 AM
Thats a very good resource you've posted there. I see when you drill down to an area you can access downloads including the full frequency list for police and emergency. With a scanner you can store the frequencies to go to if you need them.

Aside from that there are many other identified frequencies in there. In NY for example.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?tab=reports&ctid=1855&rpt=1&os=400&s=freq

When the internet first got fast enough to stream I would listen to the various dispatches. NY and LA being the best altough LA would sometimes go quiet and other cities I wouldn't have thought would be busy would have a lot going on. So it was worth looking about for the action.

All the emergency is encrypted here now so not much left to listen to except mall security or transit cops.

Shorty Harris
22nd November 2012, 03:57 AM
Apparently, Or so Ive been told that ALL emergency police, and fire communications have to switch from analog to digital by some date in January 2013. This was mandated by the US Gov't. I've been told that to date, no one has manufactured a scanner that will track "digital communications".

vacuum
22nd November 2012, 04:43 AM
Apparently, Or so Ive been told that ALL emergency police, and fire communications have to switch from analog to digital by some date in January 2013. This was mandated by the US Gov't. I've been told that to date, no one has manufactured a scanner that will track "digital communications".

The real issue is that they will build in the option to encrypt transmissions, I'm sure

vacuum
22nd November 2012, 04:46 AM
Here's a site that will show all police reports for any given area over the specified time period.

http://www.crimemapping.com/

Dogman
22nd November 2012, 04:58 AM
The real issue is that they will build in the option to encrypt transmissions, I'm sure Most of the radios that are used in my area already can use encryption. For some reason they very rarely use it, they ether use "cop sync" or cell phones when passing sensitive info to each other. One of my radio hobby's has been breaking and descrambling cops talk on my radios over the years.

What can be scrambled can be unscrambled, but if they ever start using spread spectrum + scrambling like our military which they will in time I think, all bets are off.

Glass
22nd November 2012, 12:19 PM
Most of the radios that are used in my area already can use encryption. For some reason they very rarely use it, they ether use "cop sync" or cell phones when passing sensitive info to each other. One of my radio hobby's has been breaking and descrambling cops talk on my radios over the years.

What can be scrambled can be unscrambled, but if they ever start using spread spectrum + scrambling like our military which they will in time I think, all bets are off.

They use a motorolla rolling encryption down here AFAIK and the processing power/time needed to decrypt apparently makes real time listening impossible. Basically you need the key and that's another problem in itself as the radios "unique ID" themselves. I think it's a bit like MAC level access control. I don't know how that applies to receiving/listening.

Dogman
22nd November 2012, 12:32 PM
They use a motorolla rolling encryption down here AFAIK and the processing power/time needed to decrypt apparently makes real time listening impossible. Basically you need the key and that's another problem in itself as the radios "unique ID" themselves. I think it's a bit like MAC level access control. I don't know how that applies to receiving/listening.

Yes, and to break it mere mortal people like us will be locked out, not saying it is or will be imposable to crack it. But right now unless you have one of their radios and it is included in the system (net) those radios are secure from ease droppers.

If they go that rout here it is not good, I have their tac channels (lot's of scanner time, plus a borrowed RF spectrum analyzer to find them) that they use for sensitive info, and also ordering lunch! I have heard them do some shit, that they did/do not want out in the public. Like public officials drunk, certain people with money that own the town, etc , etc. Plus getting their storys straight. But now they are using cell phones more and more for that kind of stuff. You can hear the stop or call, and then nothing, the call drops into a black hole.