PDA

View Full Version : Good Article about Amazon/ Newegg etc. e-Commerce Warehouses & Working Conditions

gunDriller
22nd November 2012, 02:28 PM
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/02/mac-mcclelland-free-online-shipping-warehouses-labor

Dang !

The pseudo-progressives at Mother Jones have produced a genuinely interesting article, about the writer's experience working at a warehouse that does 'order fulfillment' for the larger online stores.

I Was a Warehouse Wage Slave - My brief, backbreaking, rage-inducing, low-paying, dildo-packing time inside the online-shipping machine.

"Soon, we move on to practical training. Like all workplaces with automated and heavy machinery, this one contains plenty of ways to get hurt, and they are enumerated. There are transition points in the warehouse floor where the footing is uneven, and people trip and sprain ankles. Give forklifts that are raised up several stories to access products a wide berth: "If a pallet falls on you, you won't be working with us anymore." Watch your fingers around the conveyor belts that run waist-high throughout the entire facility. People lose fingers. Or parts of fingers. And about once a year, they tell us, someone in an Amalgamated warehouse gets caught by the hair, and when a conveyor belt catches you by the hair, it doesn't just take your hair with it. It rips out a piece of scalp as well."

Well, you expect safety issues in an industrial situation.

What makes it unsafe is the extremely hurried pace workers are forced to work in.

"Everyone in here is hustling. At the announcement to take one of our two 15-minute breaks, we hustle even harder. We pickers close out the totes we're currently filling and send them away on the conveyor belt, then make our way as fast as we can with the rest of the masses across the long haul of concrete between wherever we are and the break room, but not before passing through metal detectors, for which there is a line—we're required to be screened on our way out, though not on our way in; apparently the concern is that we're sneaking Xbox 360s up under our shirts, not bringing in weapons. If we don't set off the metal detector and have to be taken aside and searched, we can run into the break room and try to find a seat among the rows and rows and long-ass rows of tables. We lose more time if we want to pee—and I do want to pee, and when amid the panic about the time constraints it occurs to me that I don't have my period I toss a fist victoriously into the air—between the actual peeing and the waiting in line to pee in the nearest one of the two bathrooms, which has eight stalls in the ladies' and I'm not sure how many in the men's and serves thousands of people a day. Once I pare this process down as much as possible, by stringing a necktie through my belt loops because I can't find a metal-less replacement for my belt at the local Walmart—and if my underwear or butt-crack slips out, I've been warned, I can get penalized—and by leaving my car keys in the break room after a manager helps me find an admittedly "still risky" hiding place for them because we have no lockers and "things get stolen out of here all the time," I get myself up to seven minutes' worth of break time to inhale as many high-fat and -protein snacks as I can. People who work at Amalgamated are always working this fast. Right now, because it's almost Black Friday, there are just more of us doing it."

It makes me feel lucky to have entered the professional workforce in the 1980's. In high-tech workers still had to be super-diligent, with good attention to detail. But at least then things were still made in America.

And with Obama-care coming, and "health"-care providers gouging employers & employees alike, anybody who has an entrepreneurial instinct to actually make stuff in America better have a good plan for controlling health care costs (only hire Amish workers ?)

In the mean-time, the shipping boxes get packed in America.

I wonder how many of the workers are Jewish ? That "Amalgamated" warehouse sounds like the Talmud write large. The goyim workers are pushed to the breaking point all day every day. The Jewish managers sit in their offices insulated by several layers of management.

General of Darkness
22nd November 2012, 03:34 PM
Shut up slave, get back to work. Heck I paid 40% taxes last year, grant you I don't work in those types of conditions, but my conditions are basically continual stress. And for what? The house, my "things", fuck me I'm not sure why I put myself though this bullshit, I guess it's because at the end of the day I'm still brainwashed that debt is good. I need a brain reset once the dust settles in my personal life.

madfranks
23rd November 2012, 07:44 AM
I Was a Warehouse Wage Slave - My brief, backbreaking, rage-inducing, low-paying, dildo-packing time inside the online-shipping machine.

Then don't do it. Quit. Leave. Resign your position. Oh, you mean you'd rather do menial work and get paid low wages than have no job at all? Then stop complaining and work your way up the ladder!

EE_
23rd November 2012, 08:54 AM
Then don't do it. Quit. Leave. Resign your position. Oh, you mean you'd rather do menial work and get paid low wages than have no job at all? Then stop complaining and work your way up the ladder!

Uh, I don't think there is a ladder for many of these people.

Not everyone is given the same opportunity, drive, ambition, intelligence, ability, genetics or looks to succeed or excel in this world. These people are the ones that get exploited. They will get used like an old rag and discarded when they can no longer be used.

People will soon learn, there will not be enough jobs to go around ever again in our lifetime.

Maybe you should take a ride to Walmart today and look at some the people there...or notice them the next time you are standing in line at the 7/11. I'm not sure how some of them are able to get any job, more less enough money for their cigarettes and beer.

Society will correct itself in due time. A mass die-off is inevitable.

http://firstrung.co.uk/dbimgs/Ladder_broken_rung_small(4).jpg

mick silver
23rd November 2012, 09:19 AM
theres no need to work there when you can go and get some free welfare , food stamps , free housing . i would bet if you work there you would still need welfare to make it

Horn
23rd November 2012, 09:45 AM
If congress has their way, they'll soon tax online purchases so the conditions there will become that much worse.

That's if they can remain in business.

Uncle Salty
23rd November 2012, 11:41 AM
The world needs ditch diggers too (who said that in what movie?).

The truth is, trades are high demand jobs. Becomes a plumber, welder, electrician, auto-mechanic. Learn a trade and you learn a skill that can travel with you forever and will be highly valuable in the collapse when most people can't fix shit.

steyr_m
23rd November 2012, 12:19 PM
A long, but very good read. There are a few hard-to-get items I need to get through Amazon; but after that, it'll be brick-and-mortor stores only.... Someone bought paper towel on-line?

Shami-Amourae
23rd November 2012, 12:31 PM
If congress has their way, they'll soon tax online purchases so the conditions there will become that much worse.

That's if they can remain in business.

California already forces taxes at places like Amazon.com now. I pretty much stopped shopping there all together.

gunDriller
23rd November 2012, 02:17 PM
A long, but very good read. There are a few hard-to-get items I need to get through Amazon; but after that, it'll be brick-and-mortor stores only.... Someone bought paper towel on-line?

given that one of America's primary products is now advertising, it's logical that they broke the article up into 4 pages - more ads that way.

that's our MAIN PRODUCT - as a nation. Google, for example. they wouldn't exist if they hadn't started selling ads based on web-searches.

madfranks
23rd November 2012, 05:12 PM
Uh, I don't think there is a ladder for many of these people.

Not everyone is given the same opportunity, drive, ambition, intelligence, ability, genetics or looks to succeed or excel in this world. These people are the ones that get exploited. They will get used like an old rag and discarded when they can no longer be used.

People will soon learn, there will not be enough jobs to go around ever again in our lifetime.

I know, it just pisses me off that people take a no-skill entry level job and then complain about it. I did my time working a shitty job until I built up some skills that allowed me to take higher paying work.

madfranks
23rd November 2012, 05:13 PM
theres no need to work there when you can go and get some free welfare , food stamps , free housing . i would bet if you work there you would still need welfare to make it

That's a great point, why work a crappy low wage job when you can not work at all and make just as much, if not more, collecting "benefits" from the public trough? This is why it's so hard to get out once you're in the government system, you get more by not working than you do by working.

steyr_m
24th November 2012, 10:30 AM
That's a great point, why work a crappy low wage job when you can not work at all and make just as much, if not more, collecting "benefits" from the public trough? This is why it's so hard to get out once you're in the government system, you get more by not working than you do by working.

I know what you're saying, but advertising does make some things "free". Radio has had adverts since I was a kid and it hasn't really influenced me yet. Better than paying for Sirius....

Hatha Sunahara
24th November 2012, 12:56 PM

This is what put an end to the Soviet Union. People figured out that they can survive without working. The system however cannot survive if it lets people avoid work.

Hatha

gunDriller
24th November 2012, 02:00 PM
I know, it just pisses me off that people take a no-skill entry level job and then complain about it. I did my time working a shitty job until I built up some skills that allowed me to take higher paying work.

shitty jobs circa 2012 are WAAAAY shittier than shitty jobs 30 years ago.

obviously there's exceptions, e.g. coal mining, which has always been an unhealthful job.