PDA

View Full Version : Christmas trees on their way

palani
28th November 2012, 12:55 PM
Now here is a chance to infect the rest of the world with insects from Iowa. Would the U.S. even permit these to be imported? Then why would the rest of the world?

http://www.press-citizen.com/viewart/20121128/NEWS01/121128010/Christmas-trees-their-way-from-Iowa-troops

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Iowa Christmas tree growers are again joining in a national effort to send trees to U.S. service members and their families overseas and at stateside bases.

More than 20 tree farms participated Tuesday in the Trees for Troops project, which is a program of the Christmas Spirit Foundation. Organizers said since the program’s beginning in 2005, more than 103,000 free trees have been delivered by FedEx to more than 60 military bases in the U.S. and overseas.

Iowa growers donated 85 trees Tuesday, bring their total contribution over seven years to about 1,000 trees, said Iowa Christmas Tree Growers Association Director Jan Pacovsky.

The Iowa trees will be sent to Ellsworth Air Force Base in South Dakota, where they will be given to families who live on or near the base.

Most of the trees shipped overseas come from East Coast growers, who live closer to large international airports.

Army veteran Gary Harman told The Des Moines Register (http://dmreg.co/Qqx55y ) that the memory of serving in Heidelberg, Germany, on a lonely Christmas Day in 1968 motivated him to join in the effort.

“Christmas Day away was one of the longest days I’ve ever spent,” said Harman.

With that in mind, Harman cut down two trees at his Indianola farm on Tuesday and hauled them to the drop-off spot at the Iowa State Fairgrounds.

A number of the growers who participated were veterans.

Like Harman, grower Steven Hoogestraat served in the Army during the Vietnam War.

“You could make it through birthdays and Thanksgiving and the other holidays, but it seems like Christmas was always the toughest,” Hoogestraat said.

Bob Moulds drove more than two hours from Fairbank in northeast Iowa to contribute 20 trees. Some were from his tree farm and others were contributed by individuals and three farms near Waterloo.

After contributing in the past, Moulds said he’s received letters of thanks from families who received the trees.

“I never was in the service, so maybe this can be my contribution,” Moulds said.

Neuro
28th November 2012, 01:57 PM
Now here is a chance to infect the rest of the world with insects from Iowa. Would the U.S. even permit these to be imported? Then why would the rest of the world?

http://www.press-citizen.com/viewart/20121128/NEWS01/121128010/Christmas-trees-their-way-from-Iowa-troops
Backed by the full firepower of the United States Military. You have to be considered terrorist if you even think about depriving the poor US soldiers of an Iowa holiday tree. Israel will provide the star in glow in the dark nuclear waste from Dimona at only $666 a piece...

osoab
28th November 2012, 04:40 PM
I wonder what insects we have exported.

The Japanese beetle and the asian beetle (dull orange lady bug) are two the come to mind that were imported to here. Then we have dandelions, kudzu and trees of heaven (I think).

palani, your post got me thinking. ILL has all these signs at campsites saying not to take your firewood into another area and to wash your boat before going to another water hole. It's amusing that barges and truckloads of wood have little if no precautions or posted signs reminding about the prevention of carrying pests.