PDA

View Full Version : 5 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Count On A Generator When T-SHTF.

singular_me
28th November 2012, 03:08 PM
thought it might be useful to share if you are like me off the grid

http://beforeitsnews.com/survival/2012/11/5-reasons-why-you-shouldnt-count-on-a-generator-when-t-shtf-2451496.html

Twisted Titan
28th November 2012, 03:44 PM
On a long enough time. ....the survial rate of everyone drops to zero

Tag line at Zero Hedge

Dogman
28th November 2012, 03:53 PM
The article brought up some very good points about fuel and availability, for long term usage. Solar + battery's and maybe wind power if you are located in a good windy place would be good for long term practical use. Fuel type engine driven generators for use in a pinch.

gunDriller
28th November 2012, 04:41 PM
if definitely helps to have a major fuel source.

like acres of firewood or something.

vacuum
28th November 2012, 04:49 PM
A honda 900 watt inverter generator can run for about 12 hours at 25% - 30% load (1/2 gallon of gas). So 1/2 gallon of gas per day is about 150 - 200 gallons of gas to have electricity for a year. To power a radio or laptop, charge batteries for flashlights, charge a cell phone, small but critical stuff. You can store that much fuel easily. Also, is very quiet.

skid
28th November 2012, 04:59 PM
I live beside a fast flowing river. My long term plan is to install an old school 10 foot diameter water wheel driven by the force of the river. I will use a high tech permanent magnet low speed generator to convert the water wheel energy into electricity. I hope to get 5kw of 24/7 power. No fuel storage issues either...

freespirit
28th November 2012, 05:04 PM
I live beside a fast flowing river. My long term plan is to install an old school 10 foot diameter water wheel driven by the force of the river. I will use a high tech permanent magnet low speed generator to convert the water wheel energy into electricity. I hope to get 5kw of 24/7 power. No fuel storage issues either...

good call , skid!

General of Darkness
28th November 2012, 05:14 PM
When the SHTF, the GOAL is to just out LAST everyone else. Kinda like you're being chased by the bear joke with a friend. I don't have to be faster than the bear, I just need to be faster than you.

From what I've read and ingested. The KEY is a few things.

1 - Be prepared as best you can
2 - Be prepared for the unexpected
3 - Don't be STUPID

Sure you can embellish on those, but hells bells use your brain and be self sufficient.

chad
28th November 2012, 05:35 PM
my plan is to not need anything powered by electricity. all i need to finish off the list is a sand point well. electric pump runs the current one.

made candles from deer fat this year as a test run...

hoarder
28th November 2012, 06:27 PM
I live beside a fast flowing river. My long term plan is to install an old school 10 foot diameter water wheel driven by the force of the river. I will use a high tech permanent magnet low speed generator to convert the water wheel energy into electricity. I hope to get 5kw of 24/7 power. No fuel storage issues either...Read up on micro hydropower. You could stab a line in the river at the upstream end of your property and bury it so you have some drop and put in an underground alternator.
The good thing about hydro is it generates 24 hours a day. If you had a sizeable battery bank you could get by with much less than 5KW.

skid
28th November 2012, 10:35 PM
Read up on micro hydropower. You could stab a line in the river at the upstream end of your property and bury it so you have some drop and put in an underground alternator.
The good thing about hydro is it generates 24 hours a day. If you had a sizeable battery bank you could get by with much less than 5KW.

I have about 330 feet of river bank. I can't go upstream far enough to get the drop required without trespassing on my neighbor's property. However, with 3 or 4 water wheels I could power the whole rural neighborhood. Water wheels are simple, are easily repaired, maintained and operated, have no pluggage issues (like inlet screens for pipes), can be designed to shed impacts from logs, and can be adjusted in elevation to varying river levels. The biggest issue is obtaining a low speed generator. My wheel should turn between 10-15 rpm so I will have to devise a speed increaser of some sort. 50 rpm seems to be the minimum for commercially available generators in the 5kw range.

And yes I could get by with less than 5kw, but that's what I estimate I could generate by my calculations. I will perform a torque load test on the wheel before I purchase the generator to ensure I size it appropriately.

hoarder
29th November 2012, 05:58 AM
I have about 330 feet of river bank. I can't go upstream far enough to get the drop required without trespassing on my neighbor's property. However, with 3 or 4 water wheels I could power the whole rural neighborhood. Water wheels are simple, are easily repaired, maintained and operated, have no pluggage issues (like inlet screens for pipes), can be designed to shed impacts from logs, and can be adjusted in elevation to varying river levels. The biggest issue is obtaining a low speed generator. My wheel should turn between 10-15 rpm so I will have to devise a speed increaser of some sort. 50 rpm seems to be the minimum for commercially available generators in the 5kw range.

And yes I could get by with less than 5kw, but that's what I estimate I could generate by my calculations. I will perform a torque load test on the wheel before I purchase the generator to ensure I size it appropriately.An inclinometer would give you a reading on the drop, it doesn't take much.
A speed increaser would be easy. It could be gear drive, chain drive or belt drive, the latter being the simplest choice. The reason I would prefer a microhydropower is discretion. I don't know how difficult it is to get a permit in your state as water rights are very complicated. A water wheel not only signals your existence but is what lawyers call an "attractive nuisance", meaning you're to blame for kids getting hurt playing on it. Insurance would be out of the question.

freespirit
29th November 2012, 06:09 AM
ponce should weigh in here... i seem to remember him posting about a little hydroelectric project he was working on...

mick silver
29th November 2012, 06:13 AM
When the SHTF, the GOAL is to just out LAST everyone else. Kinda like you're being chased by the bear joke with a friend. I don't have to be faster than the bear, I just need to be faster than you.

From what I've read and ingested. The KEY is a few things.

1 - Be prepared as best you can
2 - Be prepared for the unexpected
3 - Don't be STUPID

Sure you can embellish on those, but hells bells use your brain and be self sufficient.
i have alway thought like that to . if i can just out last all the fools then maybe my family could take the things we would need . i guess that why i prep for the long haul

skid
29th November 2012, 09:15 AM
An inclinometer would give you a reading on the drop, it doesn't take much.
A speed increaser would be easy. It could be gear drive, chain drive or belt drive, the latter being the simplest choice. The reason I would prefer a microhydropower is discretion. I don't know how difficult it is to get a permit in your state as water rights are very complicated. A water wheel not only signals your existence but is what lawyers call an "attractive nuisance", meaning you're to blame for kids getting hurt playing on it. Insurance would be out of the question.

I have no problems measuring drop as I have an optical level. However without a lot of drop (pressure) you're not going to generate much power through a small pipe. For a micro hydro to make any power whatsoever, you need to have at least 100psi for a Pelton or Francis wheel turbine.

The river I live on is a white water kayak/rafting river. If those guys can avoid rocks and other obstacles, they can avoid my wheel. I'm planning on putting a large log in front of it just above the water so kayakers will have to avoid it. I have water rights on the river, and have a permit to build the necessary infrastructure to pump the water. My infrastructure will be a little different than most pumping installations, but will serve the same purpose.

In regards to speed increasers, yes one can use chains or belts, but those items wear out quicker than a direct coupled generator or a speed increaser gearbox. I may have to stock some spare parts...

hoarder
29th November 2012, 09:46 AM
Scroll down 1/3 to Harris Hydros:
http://backwoodssolar.com/catalog/hydropower.htm 10 feet of head is only about 5 PSI.

I found a system similar to (but smaller than) what you are discussing here

http://green-trust.org/hydro.htm