PDA

View Full Version : High Blood Pressure Damages Your Brain.

Ponce
28th November 2012, 07:53 PM
So, now I know why I am crazy.......but not stupit?.....with a 165 to 185 BP I am lucky to be able to type, even if it sucks.
========================================

The Project for Natural Health Choices Inc. warns that high blood pressure can actually accelerate brain aging.

Fort Lauderdale, FL (PRWEB) November 27, 2012

The Project for Natural Health Choices Inc. warns that high blood pressure can actually accelerate brain aging. This was proven in the finding of new research conducted at the University of California and published on November 19th in the medical journal, The Lancet Neurology. The findings provide new support that high blood pressure can cause accelerated brain aging.

The particular study consisted of nearly 600 subjects with an average age of thirty nine years. The researchers performed MRI brain scans along with checking the blood pressure of the participants. The research team found that subjects with both hypertension and pre-hypertension had damage to the structural integrity of their white matter and the volume of grey matter.

While previous research has linked high blood pressure with brain degradation of seniors, this is one of the first to show a correlation at a much younger age.

According to senior author Charles DeCarli, "The message here is really clear: People can influence their late-life brain health by knowing and treating their blood pressure at a young age, when you wouldn't necessarily be thinking about it."

Below are some methods of lowering blood pressure that researchers suggest:

Exercise regularly
Reduce sodium intake
Maintain a healthy BMI (body mass index)
Consume foods shown in studies to possibly lower blood pressure such as raisins, bananas, and watermelon.

If concerned about maintaining brain health, consider lowering high blood pressure with some of the above methods suggested by researchers.

This release has been sponsored by the Project for Natural Health Choices Inc., a natural health company that wants to help people improve their health through natural methods such as natural dietary supplements, exercise, and other natural therapies.

To learn more about the Project for Natural Health Choices Inc. and “The Bill of American Health Rights" petition that fights to protect the constitutional right that people have to employ natural health practices which include the use of and access to natural health products, supplements, and therapies, go to http://www.naturalhealthchoicesproject.com/petition/.

For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb2012/11/prweb10142315.htm

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/business/prweb/article/High-Blood-Pressure-Damages-Your-Brain-4069391.php#ixzz2DcDiuGoT

Neuro
29th November 2012, 02:37 AM
The blood pressure is high because the brain doesnt get enough oxygen and nutrients with a lower blood pressure, lowering the blood pressure would be detrimental to brains function... The researchers just tied the cart in front of the horse.

willie pete
29th November 2012, 03:01 AM
The blood pressure is high because the brain doesnt get enough oxygen and nutrients, The researchers just tied the cart in front of the horse.

maybe you'd like to rethink that? I'd have to say HTN is mostly a symptom of several different disease processes, also familiar Hx plays a direct part

Neuro
29th November 2012, 03:06 AM
maybe you'd like to rethink that? I'd have to say HTN is mostly a symptom of several different disease processes, also familiar Hx plays a direct part
Let's discuss it! What diseases in particular?

Bigjon
29th November 2012, 04:09 AM
Since I started taking omega 3's in the form of Mercola's Krill oil plus 400 iu vit E, my blood pressure has dropped from 130/90 to 105/60.

willie pete
29th November 2012, 01:51 PM
Let's discuss it! What diseases in particular?

wanna start with DM? atheriosclerosis? arteriosclerosis? CAD? dietic hypernatremia? a number of vascular disease processes? obesity?........and then there's the cardiac etiology;on the low end of the cardiac spectrum, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, an increased cardiac ejection fraction, CHF or A-fib

Neuro
29th November 2012, 02:54 PM
wanna start with DM? atheriosclerosis? arteriosclerosis? CAD? dietic hypernatremia? a number of vascular disease processes? obesity?........and then there's the cardiac etiology;on the low end of the cardiac spectrum, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, an increased cardiac ejection fraction, CHF or A-fib
Ok out of these which are causing hypertension, and which are caused by hypertension, and which are just concomitant with hypertension? Btw, isn't congestive heart failure commonly associated with hypotension?

willie pete
29th November 2012, 04:06 PM
Ok out of these which are causing hypertension, and which are caused by hypertension, and which are just concomitant with hypertension? Btw, isn't congestive heart failure commonly associated with hypotension?

some, as stated are on the low end of the idopathic spectrum, but you should reverse your query; HTN is a symptom of some of these listed....the first listed vascular sclerosises can be directly related to HTN, I don't understand your reponse "lowering (a hypertensive) blood pressure would be detrimental to your brain's health"...the entire goal of a hypertensive patient is to lower their BP

Old Herb Lady
29th November 2012, 06:14 PM

some, as stated are on the low end of the idopathic spectrum, but you should reverse your query; HTN is a symptom of some of these listed....the first listed vascular sclerosises can be directly related to HTN, I don't understand your reponse "lowering (a hypertensive) blood pressure would be detrimental to your brain's health"...the entire goal of a hypertensive patient is to lower their BP

A cardiologist who appreciates bikini clad ladies ! LOL ! Bet your ticker works like a well oiled machine, Doc !?

Their familiar hx should be a wake-up call before they end up with a dx of any one of those and blame it on genetics.
If they have the genetic predisposition to HTN or any major dis-ease/s, they need to make lifestyle choices according to their inherited weakness/es.

All those diseases are preventable and completely reversable through natural healing (diet & lifestyle changes).
I knew someone ( a very famous person who everyone has heard of) who was on a heart transplant list and got taken off the list because he completely healed his own heart.

You and Neuro both have valid points, tho , what comes first or what comes after......it doesn't matter......people need nutrition to feed their hearts & brain & obviously NOT
what they've been feeding theirs with, IMO.

EITHER which way, incorporating just simple things into the diet like cayenne peppers, garlic, omega 3's, no processed non-food, less dead animals, etc and the heart & brain would be HAPPPY ! :) And oh BTW, hawthorne berries & hawthorne berry syrup is AMAZING for any heart issues.

milehi
29th November 2012, 07:21 PM
I had blood pressure issues today. I was feeling a little strange this morning and checked my bp in a vacant operating room and found 154/96. not good.

I'm mainly vegetarian and eat mostly Thai food spiced hotter than the cooks eat it. I eat a ton of salmon, juice vegetables, keep my alkalinity at 7-7.5, ect. I also race bikes at a top level and ride over 100 miles a week at altitude.

I pulled some strings and got an EKG later in the day that showed an athletic healthy heart with a heart rate in the mid 40's. This time my bp was 163/93.

Work stress is the culprit. I haven't had a vacation in over seven years. The last three months have been busy and I've been on call eight out of the past ten weekends. I'm on call this weekend too. The doc said he'd write a letter for time off to give to my boss, but I am the boss.

willie pete
29th November 2012, 07:41 PM
I had blood pressure issues today. I was feeling a little strange this morning and checked my bp in a vacant operating room and found 154/96. not good.

I'm mainly vegetarian and eat mostly Thai food spiced hotter than the cooks eat it. I eat a ton of salmon, juice vegetables, keep my alkalinity at 7-7.5, ect. I also race bikes at a top level and ride over 100 miles a week at altitude.

I pulled some strings and got an EKG later in the day that showed an athletic healthy heart with a heart rate in the mid 40's. This time my bp was 163/93.

Work stress is the culprit. I haven't had a vacation in over seven years. The last three months have been busy and I've been on call eight out of the past ten weekends. I'm on call this weekend too. The doc said he'd write a letter for time off to give to my boss, but I am the boss.

I think you'll agree with me, take the Doc's note or get a consultation or even a short course of an ACE inhibitor (Captopril or Lisinopril); with a BP of 154/96 and a HR of 116, when you're normally bradycardic?? .....that's a Red flag....

milehi
29th November 2012, 09:03 PM
I think you'll agree with me, take the Doc's note or get a consultation or even a short course of an ACE inhibitor (Captopril or Lisinopril); with a BP of 154/96 and a HR of 116, when you're normally bradycardic?? .....that's a Red flag....

The doc was reluctant to prescribe anything since he liked the EKG results. The mid 40's heart rate is taken before I get out of bed. The 116 HR might have been from fast walking, looking for an open room to poach my BP.

Neuro
29th November 2012, 10:50 PM
Well that's because you have been trained to think that way. Smoke a cigarette, very soon the systolic blood pressure would have gone up some 15-20 mm Hg. Most of that effect is not due to nicotine, it's due to the carbon monoxide in the smoke. Carbon monoxide compete with oxygen in the alveoli of the lungs for a spot on the hemoglobin molecule, hemoglobin has about a thousand times greater affinity to carbon monoxide so it almost always wins. The brain gets to little oxygen from a normal amount of blood flow. Brain is the master organ, tells the heart to increase output, and tells blood vessels going to the peripheries and short term non essential organs to contract, the result higher blood pressure, and more blood going to the brain, certainly it would be better not to smoke, but I have a hard time seeing how it would be beneficial for the brain to artificially lower the blood pressure when it is in its greatest needs of MORE oxygen...

Atherossclerosis, stiff arteries, is an effect of having the smooth muscles of the vascular walls contracted for a long time. You see the same principle in skeletal muscles also, if they are contracted due to injuries or skeletal imbalances, they become fibrotic and calcifications start appearing (after several years). Ask yourself why in medicine very often you have been taught to think of the symptom as a cause?

Neuro
1st December 2012, 09:37 AM
hypertrophic cardiomyopathy

The heart is a muscle, it grows bigger because of overuse, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is not the cause of hypertension, it is caused by it...

Ponce
1st December 2012, 09:40 AM
My EKG was great........even with an average of 165 for my BP........I know, I kow......I am weird :)