PDA

View Full Version : 57 Maggots Removed From Nursing Home Patient’s Ear.

Ponce
30th November 2012, 10:43 AM
Video at link.
==================

(CBS) –Imagine paying $10,000 a month for skilled nursing home care for your loved one only to have the unthinkable happen.

It was horrific for an Arlington Heights family that is now suing the nursing home.

Ninety-two year old Catherine McCann has severe Alzheimer’s and is unable to speak or care for herself. While she was at Lutheran Home for the Aged in Arlington Heights, it was discovered that her left ear was infested with maggots.

“I was horrified, shocked,” says her husband John McCann, 88. “I thought it was terrible. I’m paying all this money for that kind of care — no way.”

Now, her family is suing the nursing home for emotional distress and negligence.

“In this case, they allowed Catherine McCann to have a fly get into her ear canal, lay eggs and hatch 57 maggots,” says attorney Henry Gruss, who filed the lawsuit

That’s how many maggots Northwest Community Hospital doctors removed from McCann’s ear. Before the surgery, doctors made a videotape to document the infestation.

“One of them was just crawling out of the ear,” Gruss says.

Mary McCann Stassen says she could barely look the photos of her mother’s ear.

“It’s a picture I will never, ever get out of my mind –ever,” she says.

Worse yet, she says, was “hearing her scream as they were taking the maggots out of her ear.”

The family’s attorney sent some of the maggots to an expert for analysis. The expert concluded they had been in her ear for 2 ½ to 3 days.

Since Catherine McCann can’t speak, the only sign of a problem she had given was tugging at her ear, her husband recalled being told.

“And once they got the maggots out, that subsided,” McCann says.

Catherine McCann has an enlarged ear canal from a surgery performed decades ago and has required periodic flushing of the ear, or antibiotics, for infections.

Nine days before the maggots were discovered, McCann was seen by a doctor for treatment for a wax buildup. He prescribed drops four times a day to treat the condition. The nursing home confirmed she was getting the drops with the last dose at 6 p.m. the evening before the maggots were found.

Says Gruss: “I’m questioning whether or not she received the medication in that left ear during this time. Because how can you put drops of medicine in an ear that has 57 maggots?”

Catherine’s husband is angry at the nursing home.

“After giving them $270,000 of my hard earned money — my life savings I gave to them — and not even so much as a note or a call,” he says.

Phillip Hemmer, the nursing home administrator, says a staff members familiar with infectious diseases went to the hospital to see the family.

“We are just as concerned as the family,” he says.

Hemmer added the nursing home does not believe staff did anything wrong.

He said a nursing home aide saw Mrs. McCann scratching her ear on the day of the hospital admission, brought it to the attention of a nurse who saw the larvae and called the nursing home’s medical director. The director decided she should be sent to the hospital.

Nursing home officials believe that until that day, the maggots were not big enough for staff to see them.

Officials say the home has an excellent reputation and this was an “extraordinarily unusual event” that had never happened there before.

They had the home inspected by an exterminator who found no evidence of flies and they speculate that the fly may have gotten in her ear when Mrs. McCann’s private duty caretaker took her outside for a walk.

They also note that Illinois Department of Public Health found no violations in this case.

State officials, however, say that in response to other complaints the home was found to have violated guidelines related to residents’ care and fined $1,100 this month.

Mrs. McCann’s family had her transferred to another nursing home immediately.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/11/29/2-investigators-57-maggots-removed-from-nursing-home-patients-ear/

Dogman
30th November 2012, 10:50 AM
That is just plain sick!

But from what I understand is that most maggots will not eat healthy flesh at all. They have been used to clean up wounds and such over the years by healers/medical types.

Unless it is something like the screwworm or such.

palani
30th November 2012, 11:01 AM
We had a dairy cow once with maggots that got in thru dehorning. The maggots caused the eye to bulge out and the cow died. The vet came in to post the critter and he declared "why that animal has been struck by lightning". Guess he was trying to help as the insurance would cover then.

Libertytree
30th November 2012, 12:12 PM
Which 57 politicians was it? Oh, I'm sorry, maggots are actually useful.

midnight rambler
30th November 2012, 12:31 PM

How could you possibly denigrate maggots like that?? ???

Libertytree
30th November 2012, 12:33 PM

I said I was solly :)

midnight rambler
30th November 2012, 12:37 PM

Maggots are not baby-killers nor destructors of all that is good and wholesome.

Dogman
30th November 2012, 12:39 PM

Maggots are not baby-killers nor destructors of all that is good and wholesome.

Truth!

madfranks
30th November 2012, 12:47 PM
State officials, however, say that in response to other complaints the home was found to have violated guidelines related to residents’ care and fined $1,100 this month.

For $10,000/month care, that fine is a slap on the wrist.

Neuro
30th November 2012, 01:23 PM
I really think you can't blame the nursing home for this, the larvae may have been in her ear for 2-3 days, however I understand why the family make such a big fuss out of it, they have 270,000 reasons to do so. Dollares! But really this could have happened anywhere, flies put eggs anywhere, and they will hatch where they meet little resistance, disgusting yes, but that is nature!

osoab
30th November 2012, 02:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSRAhebMb5Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSRAhebMb5Q

zap
30th November 2012, 03:48 PM
I had a dog who cut her leg up real bad,I put her in the pin for a few days and then I noticed her leg was full of maggots , I left them in there til they ate all the dead flesh, then they all crawled out , they don't eat good flesh just rotten flesh.

If I was paying lots of money for someone to take care of a loved on yep I would be pissed if they had maggots

Santa
30th November 2012, 05:04 PM
You suppose the old gal had a wicked ear infection and the maggots were only leaving because they'd cleaned it up?

osoab
30th November 2012, 05:35 PM
You suppose the old gal had a wicked ear infection and the maggots were only leaving because they'd cleaned it up?

One of my first thoughts was ear wax. :o

joboo
30th November 2012, 06:02 PM
$10,000 a month should be like living in a spa.

That's at least $7000-$8000 per month over the top of all possible living expenses. Mortgage, food, etc... AT LEAST.

At the extreme minimum $200 a day over and above everything.

For $200 a day you should have personal waiting staff, daily massages, manicure, pedicures, bedtime stories, etc.

I'd sue the fuck out of them.

General of Darkness
30th November 2012, 07:28 PM
$10,000 a month should be like living in a spa.

That's at least $7000-$8000 per month over the top of all possible living expenses. Mortgage, food, etc... AT LEAST.

At the extreme minimum $200 a day over and above everything.

For $200 a day you should have personal waiting staff, daily massages, manicure, pedicures, bedtime stories, etc.

I'd sue the fuck out of them.

Actually here in Cali you can have a live in caretaker for around 3K a month.

Serpo
30th November 2012, 08:36 PM
Reminds me of the global elite and how they can seem like maggots in your ear ,having to be extracted one by one.

ShortJohnSilver
1st December 2012, 12:31 AM
10K a month for Alzheimers level care is not a bad price. Believe it or not.