PDA

View Full Version : Building a Tiny House......

Ponce
2nd December 2012, 08:22 AM
Go to link for photos and construction video......
========================================

200 square foot homes prop up in DC as aspiring homeowners look for their piece of the American dream after the housing crisis
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 18:36 EST, 30 November 2012 | UPDATED: 20:12 EST, 1 December 2012
Comments (188) Share

..A neighborhood of miniaturized homes, that look like what some Americans build in their backyards as dollhouses, is propping up in northeast Washington, D.C.

The 150 to 200 square feet living spaces in a transformed vacant lot behind a line of row houses, sell for between $20,000 to $50,000 a piece and are part of a national backlash to the conspicuous consumption of the McMansion era.
The concept of the tiny residences became popularized by Tumbleweed Tiny House Co., based in Santa Rosa, Calif., that launched in 2000. The plans faced a tepid reception but after the credit crisis of 2008, have exploded in popularity.
Scroll down for video.

Little piece of paradise: A neighborhood of miniaturized homes, that look like what some Americans build in their backyards as dollhouses, is propping up in northeast Washington, D.C.

Just what you need: Though the inside of the home isn't terribly spacious, with the right decorations it can still suit the needs of its inhabitants

Little houses, big world: The 150 to 200 square feet living spaces can cost between $20,000 to $40,000 a piece, depending on whether someone builds it themselves or hires a builder

Less is more: The concept came as a backlash to the conspicuous consumption of the McMansion era
The lot was purchased in March by a group of three DC residents who became interested in creating a neighborhood of tiny houses as an example of affordable, scaled back living.

The group has transformed the concrete abandoned lot into a grassy area for the stall-like homes. They have also constructed a garden area and have planted 10-15 trees to surround the lot. The group of homes all circle an open, grassy area with a picnic table open to the community.
More...From free love and sexual liberation to vegetable patches and $3 a day living costs: Inside America's oldest hippie commune
Obama says middle-class tax hike would be 'like getting a lump of coal' for Christmas as he tours U.S. drumming up support for deal
Knoxville, Dallas and Pittsburgh only THREE major U.S. cities showing signs of economic recovery, study shows

The homes, ideal for one or two inhabitants, are naturally limited in space and so the neighborhood will include a 8’x20’ garage/storage structure for those items that just can't be squeezed into the miniature shelters.
The homes are located in the historic Stronghold neighborhood in a community called Boneyard Studios.

Rough draft: The designs for the little houses were inspired by Tumbleweed Tiny House Co., based in Santa Rosa, Calif., that launched in 2000, though Tumbleweed is not involved in the DC community

Cozy: 'It's no longer about impressing your friends with your huge 1980s castle, it's more about your lifestyle,' on DC condo developer has said

Jay Shafer, who founded the The Tumbleweed Tiny House Co.- a company that popularized the tiny house movement but is not involved with the DC community, has sold more than 1,500 sets of plans for similarly small living spaces.

He said after the recession of 2008, the tiny houses took off.

'Americans still like our stuff big and cheap, so a 100-square-foot house is not for everyone or big families. But people in tiny homes save a ton of money on heating and AC,' he told the Washington Post.

Though Shafer used to reside in a 90-square foot house, he has since upgraded to a 500-square-foot home after he and his wife welcomed their second child.
'It's no longer about impressing your friends with your huge 1980s castle, it's more about your lifestyle: What restaurants and fitness centers and community life can you walk to? It's not about driving everywhere and staying inside and spending hours watching TV,' said Monty Hoffman, chief executive and founder of PN Hoffman, a Washington area condo builder.
'They're a statement that no one needs to be trapped in a mortgage they can't afford in a house that’s too big for them anyway,' Amy Lynch, a consultant with the Minneapolis-based BridgeWorks, told the Washington Post about the practicality of the miniaturized residences after the housing crisis of 2009.

'The baby boomers raised their children. Now, they’re looking at all this stuff they have and thinking, ‘What has meaning for me now?’ Plus, these tiny houses are small enough that you can clean — actually clean them!'
The line of tiny homes in DC that is beginning to take shape, a project called Boneyard Studios, has mobilized volunteers and residents to join the cause.

But the pint-sized homes make some area residents feel like the American Dream is no long attainable.

'These tiny houses feels like we are going backwards,' Patricia Harris, who owns a rowhouse in the District, said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2241277/200-square-foot-homes-prop-DC-aspiring-homeowners-look-piece-American-dream-housing-crisis.html?ICO=most_read_module

foolsgold
2nd December 2012, 09:33 AM
I just got a new refriderator, I will let the cardboardbox in came in go for $20. It's very heavy duty.

Cebu_4_2
2nd December 2012, 11:11 AM
20-40K for a shed deluxxe... something is just wrong with this.

gunDriller
2nd December 2012, 11:30 AM
I just got a new refriderator, I will let the cardboardbox in came in go for $20. It's very heavy duty.

i'll provide a water-proof shell for the box. some 4 mil plastic. and you even have a choice between black & clear plastic. only $50.

i also have a wind-up radio. gets AM & FM. i'll throw that in for $30, including an EMP-proof wrapper.

so you can have a waterproof roof over your head for $100 - and still be able to listen to baseball games after the false-flag EMP event.

Santa
2nd December 2012, 12:01 PM
The Greek philosopher Diogenes had an interesting housing solution. Sleep in an empty wine barrel.

Problem is, the cops will stomp it down, taser you and throw you in jail for trying to live in a box.

Santa
2nd December 2012, 12:01 PM
Delete double post, mf...

midnight rambler
2nd December 2012, 12:04 PM
Problem is, the cops will stomp it down, taser you and throw you in jail for trying to live in a non-government approved box.

fify

Ponce
2nd December 2012, 12:05 PM
In the old days even if shoe box was your home the cops neede a warant to search it... when I was living in the back of my truck in a camper shell the cops wanted to search it and I told them to get a warrant.....they got mad but they left me alone.......now days they would simply shoot me.

midnight rambler
2nd December 2012, 12:07 PM
This is all about getting people accustomed to Agenda 21.

Serpo
2nd December 2012, 12:26 PM
called Boneyard Studios.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/30/article-0-164A7C46000005DC-751_964x699.jpg Rough draft: The designs for the little houses were inspired by Tumbleweed Tiny House Co., based in Santa Rosa, Calif., that launched in 2000, though Tumbleweed is not involved in the DC community

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/30/article-0-164A7D2E000005DC-45_964x733.jpgVIDEO: Timelapse of mini house construction:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/30/article-0-164A7BF3000005DC-573_964x604.jpg Home sweet home: The DC neighborhood that is beginning to take shape, called Boneyard Studios, in the historic neighborhood of Stronghold

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/30/article-0-164A7B09000005DC-522_964x612.jpg Firm foundation: People begin construction on a house of wheels in the Stronghold neighborhood

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/30/article-0-164A7B7F000005DC-364_964x631.jpg Assembly: A team of three workers raise the walls as the little home begins to take shape

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/30/article-0-164A7B27000005DC-814_964x680.jpg (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2241277/200-square-foot-homes-prop-DC-aspiring-homeowners-look-piece-American-dream-housing-crisis.html?ICO=most_read_module)

Bit by bit: The plans faced a tepid reception in 2000 but after the credit crisis of 2008, have exploded in popularity

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/30/article-0-164A7B53000005DC-710_964x665.jpg (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2241277/200-square-foot-homes-prop-DC-aspiring-homeowners-look-piece-American-dream-housing-crisis.html?ICO=most_read_module)

Teamwork: A team works together to build a house in the Stronghold neighborhood

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/30/article-0-164A7B40000005DC-748_964x635.jpg Feeling like home: With a little porch in front equipped with chairs and a front door,

Serpo
2nd December 2012, 12:33 PM
My wife and I lived in a plywood car container before we had our first child and it was some of the best times in our lives.

Gone up in the world since, but I like certain aspects of this ,such as building on the tandem trailer because in many areas and Im talking isolated places this is a very good idea.No foundations ,so no permit required and it gives me an idea that I may build one of these.

In some places it is the land that is overwhelming and you dont need much of a place to enjoy being there.

On the other hand putting them all next to each other is a bad idea

Dogman
2nd December 2012, 12:46 PM
My wife and I lived in a plywood car container before we had our first child and it was some of the best times in our lives.

Gone up in the world since, but I like certain aspects of this ,such as building on the tandem trailer because in many areas and Im talking isolated places this is a very good idea.No foundations ,so no permit required and it gives me an idea that I may build one of these.

In some places it is the land that is overwhelming and you dont need much of a place to enjoy being there.

On the other hand putting them all next to each other is a bad idea

I also like this in so many ways. Trailer mounted so your digs move with you! Add fresh/gray/black water tanks with solar panels on the roof and a battery bank. Toss in a gen set and you have a custom travel trailer that has class and your reflects your individual style.

Unlike the all look the same stuff you see on the road/campgrounds today! And I bet these can be insulated way better than what you can buy ready made!

I always hated living in an apartment and seeing the rent go down a black hole, the upside was no property/school tax.

With a trailer home the same would apply (most places) no paying property/school taxes.

For someone single with no family (Me) something like this would dam near be perfect! See the country and drag your house
with you!

Libertytree
2nd December 2012, 12:49 PM
From the looks of the one on the right, assuming it's finished, it ain't going anywhere with its wheels buried halfway up. The skylights on that unit are a nice touch though.

Dogman
2nd December 2012, 12:57 PM
From the looks of the one on the right, assuming it's finished, it ain't going anywhere with its wheels buried halfway up. The skylights on that unit are a nice touch though. Here if the trailer still has its axles and wheels attached it is considered a temporary structure. If the trailer is on blocks or the axles and wheels are off (removed) it is considered permanent and taxable. That trailer still has both and could be pulled or dug out fairly easily so I would imagine that it is considered still a trailer. That apply's to house trailers and down.

Libertytree
2nd December 2012, 01:13 PM
I recently built a trailer for my mower, 5ft wide, 8ft long and 6 1/2ft tall,totally enclosed. My Cherokee can hold everything I own and I figure that if the need ever arose I could live in and store a lot of stuff in the trailer too, adding more inside/above storage now. With a good tarp and some poles I'd have a great porch and cooking area. 40 sq ft or so, lol. No latrine or electric but but it would qualify as a micro house.

madfranks
2nd December 2012, 01:53 PM
When I was in college, two friends and I rented a 500 sf mobile home. Two bedrooms, and one of us slept in the living room. It may be small, but it's still plenty of space if you know how to organize your stuff.

Serpo
2nd December 2012, 01:56 PM
by the look of some of these links ,the place could be built somewhere convenient and then towed to your chosen (isolated) spot.

Main trouble with isolated spots is trying to build things without easy access to materials.

http://boneyardstudios.com/page/2/

http://boneyardstudios.com/2012/11/28/new-plans-update-on-lees-tiny-house-design/

gunDriller
2nd December 2012, 01:58 PM
>>Problem is, the cops will stomp it down, taser you and throw you in jail for trying to live in a non-government approved box.

fify

yeah, and you have the county flying over to see if you have put up any 'un-approved structures'.

not to hard to work your way around though.

if you have a home with a crawl space, that can easily be turned into a basement ... well, if you call digging in a tight space for several months easy.

that kind of reminds me of that old TV show, "Hogan's Heroes".

and there are other ways to deal with the bureaucrat-oids.

e.g., if they have a limit on new properties of 100 square feet - where everything over 100 square feet requires zoning approval - well there's a HECK OF A LOT you can do in 81 square feet.

Serpo
2nd December 2012, 02:04 PM
>>Problem is, the cops will stomp it down, taser you and throw you in jail for trying to live in a non-government approved box.

yeah, and you have the county flying over to see if you have put up any 'un-approved structures'.

not to hard to work your way around though.

if you have a home with a crawl space, that can easily be turned into a basement ... well, if you call digging in a tight space for several months easy.

that kind of reminds me of that old TV show, "Hogan's Heroes".

and there are other ways to deal with the bureaucrat-oids.

e.g., if they have a limit on new properties of 100 square feet - where everything over 100 square feet requires zoning approval - well there's a HECK OF A LOT you can do in 81 square feet.

In NZ decades ago now we(a group of us) fought the council for permits/sub division for a few years and guess what ,we won.Not that we all have permits there but we do have permission to basically do what the f#ck we want.

Instead of going for the big expensive permit its a lot cheaper to construct temporary dwelling type stuff especially if you only use it in the summer.
Councils change ,the new people in havnt much idea what happened back then and are not very interested either,they also remember that the tribunal that sorted this case out told them if they keep harassing us then they will have to pay our lawyer bills,haha,that seemed to shut them up pretty quick and approval was forth coming.

Glass
2nd December 2012, 02:38 PM
It's not quite the go anyware that these guys have but I think it does the trick it is designed for. Hopefully it won't face this kind of country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk6KJXeOM0k

I've notice a big rise in the number of camper vans and RV's parked around the city since the last 4 years. I think a lot of people went from brick and motar to a van and motor of some sort.

EE_
2nd December 2012, 02:52 PM
It's not quite the go anyware that these guys have but I think it does the trick it is designed for. Hopefully it won't face this kind of country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk6KJXeOM0k

I've notice a big rise in the number of camper vans and RV's parked around the city since the last 4 years. I think a lot of people went from brick and motar to a van and motor of some sort.

That was nucking futs!

EE_
2nd December 2012, 03:28 PM
What's the advantage of building these mini houses on wheels, over just buying a less expensive travel trailer?

midnight rambler
2nd December 2012, 03:34 PM
In NZ decades ago now we(a group of us) fought the council for permits/sub division for a few years and guess what ,we won.Not that we all have permits there but we do have permission to basically do what the f#ck we want.

See, that's it in a nutshell right there - IF enough people band together the state actors will always back down.

Glass
2nd December 2012, 03:47 PM
See, that's it in a nutshell right there - IF enough people band together the state actors will always back down.

Some times they come back with a highway right through your little piece of paradise. They did that here with a place called Wedge Point. It's like Serpo describes. A small shanty town full of beach shacks people erected for their summer holidays. Structures become permanent. People think they have a claim. Govt thinks otherwise. People fight back. Govt builds highway, now cosy little shanty town is overrun with people. Govt is a revengeful beast. Expecially when you get a communist involved because that chip on their should will carry their plans to #@ck you over a long long way.

Libertytree
2nd December 2012, 04:04 PM
Some times they come back with a highway right through your little piece of paradise. They did that here with a place called Wedge Point. It's like Serpo describes. A small shanty town full of beach shacks people erected for their summer holidays. Structures become permanent. People think they have a claim. Govt thinks otherwise. People fight back. Govt builds highway, now cosy little shanty town is overrun with people. Govt is a revengeful beast. Expecially when you get a communist involved because that chip on their should will carry their plans to #@ck you over a long long way.

Happens all the time in Costa Rica, especially along the coast...and not because of a road, just because they can. Part of this BS is because it was determined that the drug smugglers were/are using these shantys as depots and of course the US lends them a hand.

Carl
2nd December 2012, 04:23 PM
One of my more favorite web sites:

Tiny House Blog
(http://tinyhouseblog.com/)

You're Welcome!

OO)~