PDA

View Full Version : The Sandwich

ImaCannin
5th December 2012, 08:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEM4NKXK-iA:)*#*

Glass
5th December 2012, 09:08 PM
The last part of this sums it up perfectly.

Dogman
5th December 2012, 09:16 PM
The way to the perfect sandwich is sour dough bread!

You that do not have a live culture and have to deal with feeding and keeping it healthy are missing one of the most fundamental taste experiences that you can ever emagon.

Cebu_4_2
5th December 2012, 09:57 PM
The way to the perfect sandwich is sour dough bread!

You that do not have a live culture and have to deal with feeding and keeping it healthy are missing one of the most fundamental taste experiences that you can ever emagon.

Okay, not an effort to derail this thread cause that would be easy. Dogman, tell me more about how to make sourdough?

Dogman
6th December 2012, 05:37 AM
Okay, not an effort to derail this thread cause that would be easy. Dogman, tell me more about how to make sourdough?

There are two ways to get a culture, one is to buy a starter! and the other way is (if you are lucky) to get a good wild culture to start growing for you.

Mix water and bread flour and let it set out. And pray that the bread gods bless you with good airborne yeast! And then go through the twisted throw away one half and add flour and water to get the mass of starter up into a usable amount.

I have two cultures one I store bought and one that I grew from wild airborn yeast and both are kick ass and make some of the best bread I have ever tasted. It is a pain in the ass to keep it going unless you dry out some for long term storage or freeze it. So you do not have to feed it every couple of days. My wild growth culture is going on 7 years of life now, I dry part of it out for sending to friends and keeping some for myself and freeze the rest when I do not want to mess with it for a while.

Here is a google search link on starters.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=sourdough+starter&oq=soourdo&gs_l=hp.1.1.0i10l4.3742.5449.0.10671.7.7.0.0.0.0.1 64.915.0j7.7.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.h2S-0SIVb5Y&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=e4732e036cc9a29f&bpcl=39650382&biw=1525&bih=714

This one I bought about 5 years ago and it is still going strong.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/classic-fresh-sourdough-starter-1-oz

There is one thing I have not completly agreed with and that is the need to throw away half when you are maintaining the usable mass or building up your starter into a large enough mass to be usable.

You do have to feed an active culture at least once or twice a week, if you do not it will die on you from starvation.

Some where there is a place that will send you a starter for free, but right now I am too dam lazy to find it for you.
do your own poking around to find it.

Makeing and keeping a starter is in some ways is a royal pain in the ass, because you can not ignore it for long. Because if you do it will die on you and then you have to start all over again....

But nothing beats a good sourdough bread that YOU make. Toast with jelly/jam is about as close to heaven as us mere mortals can get while still living!

And I apologize for any derailing of this thread, But this time of the year I put my bakeing hat on and fire up the oven to feed my inner kid/soul that is ignored during the hotter months of the year because of heat in the house/kitchen is not a good thing.

Sourdough bread is a gift of the gods for those that do not mind jumping through the hoops to keep the culture living and healthy, because it is a hassle unless you plan to bake bread at least twice a week. Anything less you need to freeze it or dry it so it will keep over the times you do not want to do any baking.

Hot weather/hot kitchens will wreck and play havoc with getting and keeping sourdough to play nice and give you good bread.

Again forgive me if there is any thread derailing.

Twisted Titan
6th December 2012, 12:28 PM
And i will wager three mercury dimes that after mr dsouza gave that wonderful rebutall. that bleeding heart liberal sheep would still find a way to moral argue gubbermint should use force complusion.

She would have a promosing carreer working for a pimp as they are never satisfied always demand more and male you the scapegoat for all their problems

Ponce
6th December 2012, 12:33 PM
By Dogman = get a culture, one is to buy a starter! and the other way is (if you are lucky) to get a good wild culture to start growing for you.

And a way to get a "new" culture is to loose the one that you already have....per the US.