PDA

View Full Version : Whoops! Police drone crashes into police SWAT team

madfranks
11th December 2012, 07:23 AM
I feel no sympathy for these assholes. I'm glad the drone crashed into them rather than an innocent bystander's home or car.

http://www.alternet.org/doh-police-drone-crashes-police-swat-team

In a recent investigative report by the Center for Responsive Politics and Hearst newspapers, the authors expressed concern that drones were being pushed into the domestic market before safety and ethics issues had been sufficiently addressed. Such fears were confirmed this week when the first police department in the country to acquire an aerial drone crashed the $300,000 aircraft into its own SWAT team.

The Montgomery County sheriff’s office in Texas had planned a big photo opportunity with their newly acquired surveillance drone. It all went horrible wrong when, according to the Examiner, “[The] prototype drone was flying about 18 feet off the ground [and] it lost contact with the controller’s console on the ground. It’s designed to go into an auto shutdown mode … but when it was coming down, the drone crashed into the SWAT team’s armored vehicle.” (The SWAT team had suited up, armored vehicle on hand, for the purpose of the photo.)

“Not only did the drone fail, and not only did it crash, it literally crashed into the police . It’s no wonder we’re not able to find a video of this spectacular publicity failure,” noted Gizmodo.

No one was injured but the incident nonetheless highlights concerns about the domestic proliferation of drone technology. The CRP–Hearst report explicitly listed collisions as a concern insufficiently addressed by lawmakers in the so-called “drone caucus,” who have pushed an agenda to hurry drones into the hands of police departments and private corporations.

10 Bears
11th December 2012, 07:32 AM
Hahahahahaha...I hope it happens to them until they can take no more.

Police State Tactics Gone Wrong.

Hatha Sunahara
11th December 2012, 08:56 AM
Why do the police need drones? Aren't they themselves drones enough?

Hatha

Spectrism
11th December 2012, 09:05 AM
I want to see a video of this party.

Twisted Titan
11th December 2012, 11:07 AM
Fine use of Tax Resources.

More funds will be extracted from The Proloteriat to better train the drones that operate the drones

vacuum
11th December 2012, 11:18 AM
Hopefully it was totaled and not easily repairable. Same for the armored car.

collector
11th December 2012, 11:25 AM
Proof that there is a God !!

Dogman
11th December 2012, 11:27 AM
Now something like that I would pay to watch in real time. It would be worth a years
worth of hoot's and grins.

JDRock
11th December 2012, 02:26 PM
many were injured...fortunately, no Americans. ; )

gunDriller
11th December 2012, 05:16 PM

Hatha

it does seem redundant. or recursive - or something.

Neuro
12th December 2012, 04:10 PM

Hatha
Yeah, but pigs can't fly...