PDA

View Full Version : Todays shooting thread locked... why?

Cebu_4_2
14th December 2012, 04:32 PM
Really? {0}

drafter
14th December 2012, 04:39 PM
Lately it seems people have been "lock happy". Not sure if it's honest mistakes or if people are intentionally stifling discussion before it can go anywhere. I'm hoping it's just fumble fingers, because otherwise it's kinda disturbing.

Cebu_4_2
14th December 2012, 04:41 PM
yea man, I stepped out and then reread the last 2 pages to try and figure out why it was locked.

drafter
14th December 2012, 04:52 PM
Just as it's starting to get interesting too.

Look at this little tidbit about the father. Hmm, what's with all these financial big wigs having their kids go nuts? Anyone starting to see a pattern here?

"Peter Lanza reportedly works as vice president of taxes for GE Energy Financial Services."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/14/father-connecticut-school-gunman-got-news-from-reporter-waiting-at-home/#ixzz2F4rIeEXV

madfranks
14th December 2012, 05:00 PM
I don't know why it was locked, but apparently it was locked by the OP, not by me or JQP. Feel free to start another thread to pick up where that one left off.

Glass
14th December 2012, 05:02 PM
I wonder if he was/is going to testify somewhere? Perhaps he already did.

I don't know why it was locked, but apparently it was locked by the OP, not by me or JQP. Feel free to start another thread to pick up where that one left off.

This could be it?

Cebu_4_2
14th December 2012, 05:03 PM
Holy shit!!!

Lanza's 20-year-old son, Adam Lanza, has been identified by sources as the gunman who opened fire Friday morning at Sandy Hook Elementary School, killing 20 children and six adults before taking his own life.
Sources say Lanza earlier killed his mother, Nancy Lanza, a teacher at the school, with a shot to the head at their Newtown home, then drove her car to the school to carry out the rampage.

vacuum
14th December 2012, 05:04 PM
Glass - probably. Maybe this thread title should be changed?

Cebu_4_2
14th December 2012, 05:06 PM
Agreed, I cant change it for whatever reason

chad
14th December 2012, 05:13 PM
i started it, and i sure as hell didn't lock it.

Dogman
14th December 2012, 05:14 PM
i started it, and i sure as hell didn't lock it. But you do have the power to unlock it!

chad
14th December 2012, 05:18 PM
i do? how?

chad
14th December 2012, 05:20 PM
nevermind, figured it out. it's unlocked. when i made the last reply, i was on my iphone. maybe i did it by accident.

Dogman
14th December 2012, 05:20 PM
i do? how?

In your first post look above your text area and you should see some menus. One of the options is to lock/unlock the thread.

Think it is called thread tools or sumpthing.

osoab
14th December 2012, 05:21 PM
nevermind, figured it out. it's unlocked. when i made the last reply, i was on my iphone. maybe i did it by accident.

In your first post look above your text area and you should see some menus. One of the options is to lock/unlock the thread.

Think it is called thread tools or sumpthing.

At the top of your first post go to Administrative tools, then select open thread. If that doesn't work...

gunDriller
15th December 2012, 05:39 AM
Could it have been ... Goldielocks ?!

off-topic - i wouldn't be making jokes in the main thread about the Connecticut shooting.

it's interesting - Switzerland has a Citizen Militia. everybody has guns. i can't remember ever hearing about a school or public massacre in Switzerland.

palani
15th December 2012, 08:37 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zug_massacre

The Zug massacre took place on September 27, 2001 in the city of Zug (Canton of Zug, Switzerland) in the canton's parliament. Fourteen people were shot dead by Friedrich Leibacher, who killed himself shortly after the crime.[1]

In the years before the massacre, Leibacher drew attention to himself by an intense use of lawsuits. These were dismissed, so he assumed he was being persecuted by the state, thus he felt he had to resort to the crime.[2]

He was armed with a civilian version of a Stgw 90 (Swiss Army assault rifle),[3] a SIG-Sauer-pistol, a pump-action shotgun and a revolver, using a home-made police vest, Leibacher was able to enter the parliament building without problem.[4]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/switzerland/1358067/Swiss-massacre-spurs-calls-for-gun-law-reform.html

Swiss massacre spurs calls for gun law reform

THE murder of 14 people by a deranged salesman in Switzerland last week has prompted politicians and police officers to call for a review of the country's firearms laws, among the most liberal in the world, and the custom of conscripts keeping weapons at home.

Switzerland has one of Europe's largest land-based armies. Nearly every male aged between 20 and 42 is a conscript. They are required to keep their weapons at home.

Swiss households are stocked with an estimated 12 million weapons in total, more than one for every man, woman and child in the usually tranquil Alpine nation of 7.2 million.

Every year, however, there are violent incidents involving the Sturmgewehr 90 assault rifle, the type used in Thursday's massacre, since it was introduced as the standard Swiss Army weapon in 1990.

There are believed to be 450,000 such rifles in Swiss homes alone, of which 300,000 are kept by conscripts, 100,000 by reservists and about 50,000 by 3,000 shooting clubs. Since 1994 there have been 11 incidents involving the rifles, a number of them fatal.

Hansruedi Sollberger, of a pro-weapons lobby group, Pro Tell, said that the Leibacher case should not be used to introduce a ban on guns.

He said: "These few criminal cases with army weapons are just a tiny part of all the weapons in circulation. Only dictatorships forbid people to possess weapons."

Hatha Sunahara
15th December 2012, 01:23 PM
All societies from time to time have problems with peoples' behavior. If they didn't have guns to kill other people, they might use hammers or wrenches or axes or jack handles. What makes guns different? Because they make killing people that much easier? There's not much you can do about the damage caused by insane people. Guns are not the problem. Insanity should be banned.

Hatha