PDA

View Full Version : "do you want a receipt?"

chad
23rd December 2012, 06:13 AM
is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the staff in stores going out of their way to not give you a receipt? it seems like whereas in the past they would cheerfully always give me a receipt or tell me it was in the bag, in the last few months, i've noticed they are always asking "if i want one." it's like for some odd reason they are trying to weasel out of it.

had one lady yesterday get visibly annoyed that i wanted a receipt.

never have had this happen before, but i notice it everywhere lately.

collector
23rd December 2012, 06:40 AM
I've heard that some cashiers can add on a "cash back" withdrawl and pocket the money at the end of their shift. Without a receipt you'd never know it until you checked your bank statement, then how do you prove you didn't get the money?

chad
23rd December 2012, 06:43 AM
the only angle i could figure out is that they're trying to get out of letting you return stuff. but that doesn't make sense for stuff like gas that you can't return (all of the gas stations here get pissy when i ask for one). did not not of that angle collector.

Dogman
23rd December 2012, 06:51 AM
Chad are you talking about hand written receipts or the ones that are printed from a roll in the cash register? Here you have to ask for one if the register does not automatically print one out. And sometimes I run into the cashier that does like you describe, when asked for one but it us usually when they are really busy, because most customers do not ask for one.

chad
23rd December 2012, 06:52 AM
the automatic ones that get spit out dogman. yeah, it's like they are trying to save money on ink and not print them automatically anymore. maybe that's what it is.

collector
23rd December 2012, 06:52 AM
Do you notice if there's a difference between someone that pays with cash or credit? The cash back angle usually works with a debit or credit card but obviously won't wok with someone that pays cash. I think the biggest scammers were the Walmart cashiers but I can imagine food stores could get away with that too - I always see people asking for cash back during checkout.

If it's gas station employees, that could be that they're just being lazy - having to make a few extra key strokes on their digital register

Dogman
23rd December 2012, 06:56 AM
the automatic ones that get spit out dogman. yeah, it's like they are trying to save money on ink and not print them automatically anymore. maybe that's what it is. That was my first thought, but my browser "refreshed" when I first replied and my reply got wiped. Saving paper and ink could be it, going by the adage "A penny saved is a penny earned."

Glass
23rd December 2012, 07:05 AM
A receipt represents equitable title for the goods therein. A receipt is basically money, well, as we know money these days. Not sure why they don't want you to have them. In the big stores you should find all the checkouts have camera's. The video footage is time stamped to the transactions. Security should be able to bring up a list of transactions on a register, select one, then view the video of that transaction.

I've heard that some cashiers can add on a "cash back" withdrawl and pocket the money at the end of their shift. Without a receipt you'd never know it until you checked your bank statement, then how do you prove you didn't get the money?

I've heard of fast food outlets getting hit for refund scams where payout is for higher value than original sales. Same goes for all returns scams I guess. I hadn't thought about cash outs. I worry about card skiming mostly. Anywhere they take away the card. I think ATM use at drive through window is big risk.

Santa
23rd December 2012, 07:35 AM
I've noticed that too... thanks for pointing it out, Chad.

Somehow, I don't think this is a good trend.
We've seen the results of voting without paper trails, now we'll begin to see the results of purchasing without paper trails....

collector
23rd December 2012, 07:54 AM
Just pay for purchases with cash and the transaction is complete - keep your identity secure by dealing with "legal tender"

Ponce
23rd December 2012, 08:23 AM
A while back this theater owner told the new ticket seller "Use the blue roll for men and the pink roll for women, I want to see how many men comes in"......blue roll for tax and pink roll in his pocket.

AndreaGail
23rd December 2012, 08:32 AM
I was at the Apple store the other day getting a gift for my sister and they didnt even have check out registers. Just people standing around with tablets with those credit card gizmos attached

When my transaction was complete the lady didnt even ask me if I wanted a receipt either, and when I asked her for one, my options were she could print it out or I could have it emailed to me

Carl
23rd December 2012, 03:14 PM
Maybe they're just tired of picking them up after people throwing them away in the parking lot...

Neuro
23rd December 2012, 03:49 PM
Cashless and receiptless society coming? The chip or retina scan validate the transaction, no paper ever changes hand, every transaction is centrally stored at the bank computer and taxed, according to regulations...

Ponce
23rd December 2012, 04:15 PM
Well Neuro, remember......one day everyone will have a "debit-credit card" all the "money" that is given to you will go there and all that you spend will come from thetre.

Neuro
23rd December 2012, 04:36 PM
Well Neuro, remember......one day everyone will have a "debit-credit card" all the "money" that is given to you will go there and all that you spend will come from thetre.
Certainly, and if you are a good boy in big brothers recordings, you'll get extra credit given to you, if you displease big brother by not thinking and acting "Right", you'll get instantly fined. I'll guess they back up the system with a death penalty for bartering, but if you give names of the people in the bartering network, they will show leniency... Actually I don't think we are far away from this being implemented...

collector
23rd December 2012, 04:43 PM

The movie Demolition Man comes to mind