PDA

View Full Version : U.K. Doctors group wants a ban on "long pointed knives" !

Down1
26th December 2012, 02:30 PM
A&E doctors are calling for a ban on long pointed kitchen knives to reduce deaths from stabbing.

A team from West Middlesex University Hospital said violent crime is on the increase - and kitchen knives are used in as many as half of all stabbings.

They argued many assaults are committed impulsively, prompted by alcohol and drugs, and a kitchen knife often makes an all too available weapon.

The research is published in the British Medical Journal.

The researchers said there was no reason for long pointed knives to be publicly available at all.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4581871.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4581871.stm

Celtic Rogue
26th December 2012, 02:45 PM
LOL They are once again treating the symptom and not the problem! Following this line of reasoning... I see in the future arms being amputated so shootings, knifing and beatings can be avoided as arms often makes an all too available weapon!

Cebu_4_2
26th December 2012, 02:47 PM
I thought UK knives already have to have 'blunt' or rounded ends...

Maybe they will have to turn them in and receive plastic sporks like they do on US planes.

Ponce
26th December 2012, 02:47 PM
So, what's next?......sticks sharpen to a point?......even a cane candy, you can suck the end till it comes a point...a paper rolled up tite makes a good weapong to hit someone on the throat, a sock with loose change or rocks inside is a wonderfull weapon......a weapon is not what is but what you make ot be.

Rifles are ok but not really needed, high capacity mags? is ok but all that you need is one bullet, and they allowed you ten.

Back in Cuba before joining Castro you had to take the weapon away from a "casquito" or soldier.

osoab
26th December 2012, 03:06 PM
Thus marks the end of British cuisine.

vacuum
26th December 2012, 03:10 PM
I pot of boiling water is a deadly weapon as well. What about cast iron frying pans? I think kitchens in general should be banned. People should only be able to purchase prepared food from certified food preparation businesses.

midnight rambler
26th December 2012, 03:24 PM
So called 'stab proof' kitchen knives have been around the UK for over three years. They claim the blunt tip prevents it from being used as a weapon, however the top example looks like it would be perfectly suited for slashing. I'm thinking it would do a fine job of slitting someone's jugular or carotid.

http://a57.foxnews.com/www.foxnews.com/images/539586/450/350/1_21_061609_Knives.jpg

And screwdrivers make fantastic stabbing weapons - are they gonna outlaw screwdrivers next??

Ares
26th December 2012, 03:45 PM
So called 'stab proof' kitchen knives have been around the UK for over three years. They claim the blunt tip prevents it from being used as a weapon, however the top example looks like it would be perfectly suited for slashing. I'm thinking it would do a fine job of slitting someone's jugular or carotid.

http://a57.foxnews.com/www.foxnews.com/images/539586/450/350/1_21_061609_Knives.jpg

And screwdrivers make fantastic stabbing weapons - are they gonna outlaw screwdrivers next??

You'll have to be a "licensed" Mechanic in order to have access to screw drivers, and you'll only have access during your shift. After that all screw drivers are to be locked up in a cabinet at the end of the day. The shift manager will be responsible for all access. *sarcasm*

vacuum
26th December 2012, 03:52 PM
You'll have to be a "licensed" Mechanic in order to have access to screw drivers, and you'll only have access during your shift. After that all screw drivers are to be locked up in a cabinet at the end of the day. The shift manager will be responsible for all access. *sarcasm*

But what about pens and pencils? Overall, I think it would be much more efficient if all of us wore shock collars with a camera that viewed everything we did. Then, if it saw we were trying to kill or hurt someone, it would simply subdue us on the spot. No need for all these restrictions.

There are also tons of other benefits of doing so. If the live video feed was uploaded to the cloud, you could literally google your life. Forgot where you put your keys? Just ask "where did I put my keys?". Bingo. Forget someone's name? That's not a problem anymore. With all these conveniences, really the only people who would be against such such beneficial technology would be criminals.

Ponce
26th December 2012, 05:12 PM
Midnight? the best place to cut someone, unless you are in combat, is in the inside of the leggs...just below the balls..there is not way to stop the bleeding.

Horn
26th December 2012, 05:28 PM
Its going to be a truly disgusting world when someone finally mutilates someone with a pair of tweezers.

gunDriller
26th December 2012, 05:47 PM

and watch out for Buck Chisels -

http://www.antiqbuyer.com/images/ARCHIVE_PICS/archivetools/Edge/12Bchis/12buckchis.jpg

let us ban the banners - by de-funding them - by using pioneer medicine and self-medication 85% of the time.

Let the 'doctors' work at Starbuck's ! Good coffee is more therapeutic than the Witch Doctor medicine many allopathic revenue-maximizing doctors push.

of course, i'm in the US so what British doctors do or say doesn't normally have much effect on me.

Cebu_4_2
26th December 2012, 05:59 PM
the best place to cut someone, unless you are in combat, is in the inside of the leggs...just below the balls..there is not way to stop the bleeding.

Somethings are better left unsaid. I took this to heart as my son had a bleeding disorder. Eek.

Ponce
26th December 2012, 07:42 PM
Always remember that the ultimate weapons is your mind and that with it your can create anything that you might need.

Down1
27th December 2012, 04:03 AM
Last Updated: Thursday, 26 May, 2005, 23:48 GMT 00:48 UK
This is an old article.
I should have been more alert before posting.
Sorry.

Horn
27th December 2012, 09:29 AM
I abhor knives too, I've had two separate instances here in San Jose of being held up at gun point & always felt I could dodge a bullet.

A knife is something that urges the criminal closer, and I think would actually become implemented more frequently.

Bare handed criminals are the worst kind as they will most definitely use a beer bottle or brick primarily before even demanding your wallet.