PDA

View Full Version : Nurses Fired for Refusing Flu Shot

Down1
3rd January 2013, 01:41 PM
An Indiana hospital has fired eight employees, including at least three veteran nurses, after they refused mandatory flu shots, stirring up controversy over which should come first: employee rights or patient safety. The hospital imposed mandatory vaccines, responding to rising concerns about the spread of influenza.

Ethel Hoover wore all black on her last day of work as a nurse in the critical care unit at Indiana University Health Goshen Hospital. She said she was in "mourning" because she would have been at the hospital 22 years in February, and she's only called out of work four or five times in her whole career , she said.

"This is my body. I have a right to refuse the flu vaccine," Hoover, 61, told ABCNews.com. "For 21 years, I have religiously not taken the flu vaccine, and now you're telling me that I believe in it."
http://news.yahoo.com/nurses-fired-refusing-flu-shot-224637902--abc-news-health.html

http://news.yahoo.com/nurses-fired-refusing-flu-shot-224637902--abc-news-health.html

Ponce
3rd January 2013, 02:31 PM
I haven't seen one single article that says that you will be protected by taking a flu shot...nothing but bad things will happen if you do take it.

Twisted Titan
3rd January 2013, 03:19 PM
You can always get a new job.

You cant get a new Body

Twisted Titan
3rd January 2013, 03:26 PM
I would sue the sh!t outta that hospital because i know for a fact three things

Doctors didnt take the shot. They are not gonna risk losing money

Jews were exempted. The Rabbi said it aint kosher and The Jew is beyond reproach

Upper management didnt get it. The know they get paid to make people sick. They aint risking health

Bigjon
3rd January 2013, 04:07 PM

Jews were exempted. The Rabbi said it aint kosher and The Jew is beyond reproach

Upper management didnt get it. The know they get paid to make people sick. They aint risking health

do you have a link?

osoab
3rd January 2013, 05:01 PM

Sue for what? Although I sympathize and agree with the nurses, it is a private business. I'm not condoning the actions of the hospital. I am upholding any action taken by private business for their own business model.

Ares
3rd January 2013, 05:43 PM
Sue for what? Although I sympathize and agree with the nurses, it is a private business. I'm not condoning the actions of the hospital. I am upholding any action taken by private business for their own business model.

It's no longer a "private business" since government subsidizes so much of it now.

osoab
3rd January 2013, 05:48 PM
It's no longer a "private business" since government subsidizes so much of it now.

I understand that along with the co-opted medical industry by big pharma. I still won't advocate forcing a private business into any decisions whether I agree with them or not.

Uncle Salty
3rd January 2013, 06:05 PM

So a private business should be able to force you to eat a shit sandwich for lunch on Fridays or get fired?

vacuum
3rd January 2013, 06:12 PM
I understand that along with the co-opted medical industry by big pharma. I still won't advocate forcing a private business into any decisions whether I agree with them or not.

There are a lot of issues here. First of all, private businesses do a lot of stuff, but this is dealing with people's bodies. Human rights still exist even if there is a private business.

Second, this is forced on workers but they refuse to accept any liability if someone is injured from effects of the vaccine. No one accepts liability for them, you're just SOL if something bad happens to you.

Finally, some groups are exempt as has been mentioned, but others aren't. How can you give doctors, jews, and management a free pass but not everyone else?

Hospitals are licensed and regulated, so they have to treat people fairly. In a truly free market, anyone could prescribe anyone anything. Anyone could give anyone medical advice, or make medical claims. But that's not the case. They want to regulate medicine (perhaps rightly so) but they don't want any of the liability for vaccines, they don't want to have to justify themselves, and they want to be able to discriminate against certain hospital workers.

They can't have it both ways. Either more people need to be able to prescribe things, and get payouts from insurance companies for doing medical work, or they need to take more responsibility for their actions.

Twisted Titan
3rd January 2013, 08:16 PM
Second, this is forced on workers but they refuse to accept any liability if someone is injured from effects of the vaccine. No one accepts liability for them, you're just SOL if something bad happens to you.

And thats the angle i would play

I would make the hospital ( not my insurance) sign a form saying they will be the responsible party should any adverse complications arise.

Of course they wont. So that is my legal standing.

I speak for a fact because my hospital is gearing up for something similar. ...those who declined are asked on a form i wS the only person to cite the legal ramifications of liability and Responsible party.

milehi
3rd January 2013, 09:22 PM
I had to fill out a declination form this year at a hospital I do business at. A peer went the route of having fake paperwork drawn up. For me, I now have to wear a mask in the OR, just like I've been doing all along. I'm in the process of cutting ties with all facilities under this corporate umbrella. I can't stand it. The work environment is so hostile I can't imagine any healing going on. It goes, policy, procedure...and finally patient care. Did I mention how much I fuckin' hate the place? I've been diverting every case I have to a certain small regional facility where everyone has a smile and cares more about the job they signed up to do, rather than "what they're not getting or owed".

Twisted Titan
3rd January 2013, 10:49 PM
Excellent Mi

Great way to starve The Beast

old steel
3rd January 2013, 10:50 PM
Flue shot?

Don't need no stinkin' flue shot. [{baa}]