PDA

View Full Version : NASA mulls plan to drag asteroid into moon's orbit

osoab
7th January 2013, 12:37 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Will they ban guns on the asteroid?

NASA mulls plan to drag asteroid into moon's orbit (http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn23039-nasa-mulls-plan-to-drag-asteroid-into-moons-orbit.html)

chad
7th January 2013, 12:41 PM
what could go wrong?

i like the part about how it would expose astronauts to dangerous radiation beyond the protection of the earth. i thought they had that part all fixed prior to the moon landing?

mick silver
7th January 2013, 12:42 PM
just why in the hell would anyone do this . does anyone see how bad this could go wrong in so many ways

undgrd
7th January 2013, 12:47 PM
Great. The bag they'll use to catch this rock will probably rip sending it to earth...hopefully it lands on you know who's front door.

chad
7th January 2013, 12:48 PM
just why in the hell would anyone do this . does anyone see how bad this could go wrong in so many ways

a) because they "can."
b) because they think they are smarter than everything and everyone else.

osoab
7th January 2013, 12:54 PM

a) because they look busy doing science stuff
b) because they already have the movie produced.

fify

Hatha Sunahara
7th January 2013, 12:59 PM
They're going to print lots of extra money to pay for it?

Hatha

gunDriller
7th January 2013, 01:05 PM

i wouldn't be surprised if eventually 'Man' gets this process down pat.

eventually. in the meantime, Murphy (as in Murphy's Law) will have a field day. Several field days.

it'll be like the movie "Armageddon" - without the happy ending, or Ben Affleck actually being able to act.

palani
7th January 2013, 01:20 PM
it'll be like the movie "Armageddon" - without the happy ending, or Ben Affleck actually being able to act.

I was going to suggest STARSHIP TROOPERS, necessary in the event insects ever figure out how to blow asteroids out their posterior.

Glass
7th January 2013, 01:43 PM
I think they are looking for more things to crash into the moons north pole for "scientific purposes".

madfranks
7th January 2013, 01:52 PM
The craft would then propel itself out to a target asteroid, probably a small space rock about 7 metres wide. After studying it briefly, the robot would catch the asteroid in a bag measuring about 10 metres by 15 metres and head back towards the moon.

They're going to put the asteroid in a bag? Paper or plastic?

joboo
7th January 2013, 05:47 PM
How big is the question.

If you look at the surface of the moon you will see many thousands of meteor hits. They happen all the time.

osoab
7th January 2013, 05:54 PM
How big is the question.

If you look at the surface of the moon you will see many thousands of meteor hits. They happen all the time.

Not in your lifetime. Or your grandfathers either.

joboo
7th January 2013, 05:56 PM
Not in your lifetime. Or your grandfathers either.

How many hit the earth...this year alone? Do you think the moon is somehow exempt?

Size is the question.

osoab
7th January 2013, 06:08 PM
How many hit the earth...this year alone? Do you think the moon is somehow exempt?

Size is the question.

I'm not talking pea shooters. The giant crater maker type.

Hatha Sunahara
7th January 2013, 07:49 PM

How do you know this? Is this something everybody knows? Have you seen any meteor events on the moon in your lifetime? An actual meteor hitting the moon? If it happens all the time, all of us should be able to watch such collisions. I used to 'know' this too. But I'm not so sure any more. Those craters on the moon could have been caused by huge discharges of electricity--by lightning bolts. Or there could be a multitude of other explanations. Make yourself familiar with the electric universe theory. Here's a good place to start:

http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/

Hatha

Golden
8th January 2013, 07:20 AM
They're going to print lots of extra money to pay for it?

Hatha

You're two for two Hatha.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjc-DHV9Kkg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjc-DHV9Kkg

How do you know this? Is this something everybody knows? Have you seen any meteor events on the moon in your lifetime? An actual meteor hitting the moon? If it happens all the time, all of us should be able to watch such collisions. I used to 'know' this too. But I'm not so sure any more. Those craters on the moon could have been caused by huge discharges of electricity--by lightning bolts. Or there could be a multitude of other explanations. Make yourself familiar with the electric universe theory. Here's a good place to start:

http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/

Hatha

Thunderbolts info can be found in GSUS GD or Science and Technology forums.