PDA

View Full Version : FBI Documents Shine Light on Clandestine Cellphone Tracking Tool

EE_
18th January 2013, 04:58 PM
FBI Documents Shine Light on Clandestine Cellphone Tracking Tool
By Ryan Gallagher
Posted Thursday, Jan. 10, 2013, at 2:14 PM ET

What's more dangerous: a real stingray or the FBI's Stingray tool?

The FBI calls it a “sensitive investigative technique” that it wants to keep secret. But newly released documents that shed light on the bureau’s use of a controversial cellphone tracking technology called the “Stingray” have prompted fresh questions over the legality of the spy tool.

Functioning as a so-called “cell-site simulator,” the Stingray is a sophisticated portable surveillance device. The equipment is designed to send out a powerful signal that covertly dupes phones within a specific area into hopping onto a fake network. The feds say they use them to target specific groups or individuals and help track the movements of suspects in real time, not to intercept communications. But by design Stingrays, sometimes called “IMSI catchers,” collaterally gather data from innocent bystanders’ phones and can interrupt phone users’ service—which critics say violates a federal communications law.

The FBI has maintained that its legal footing here is firm. Now, though, internal documents obtained by the Electronic Privacy Information Center, a civil liberties group, reveal the bureau appears well aware its use of the snooping gear is in dubious territory. Two heavily redacted sets of files released last month show internal Justice Department guidance that relates to the use of the cell tracking equipment, with repeated references to a crucial section of the Communications Act which outlines how “interference” with communication signals is prohibited.

It’s a small but significant detail. Why? Because it demonstrates that “there are clearly concerns, even within the agency, that the use of Stingray technology might be inconsistent with current regulations,” says EPIC attorney Alan Butler. “I don't know how the DOJ justifies the use of Stingrays given the limitations of the Communications Act prohibition.”

The FBI declined a request to comment on specific questions related to the legality of Stingrays, as it says the matter remains in litigation. Spokesman Christopher Allen told me by email that “in general the FBI cautions against drawing conclusions from redacted FOIA documents.”

A potential legal conflict, however, is not all the documents draw attention to. They disclose that the feds have procedures in place for loaning electronic surveillance devices (like the Stingray) to state police. This suggests the technology may have been used in cases across the United States, in line with a stellar investigation by LA Weekly last year, which reported that state cops in California, Florida, Texas, and Arizona had obtained Stingrays. More still, the trove offers a rare hint at the circumstances in which Stingrays are deployed. “Violent Gang Safe Street Task Forces Legal Issues" is the title of one newly released set of FBI presentation slides related to tracking tactics.

It’s likely that in the months ahead, a few more interesting nuggets of information will emerge. The FBI has told EPIC that it holds a mammoth 25,000 pages of documents that relate to Stingray tools, about 6,000 of which are classified. The Feds have been drip-releasing the documents month by month, and so far there have been four batches containing between 27 and 184 pages each. Though most of the contents—even paragraphs showing how the FBI is interpreting the law—have been heavy-handedly redacted, several eyebrow-raising details have made it through the cut. As I reported back in October, a previous release revealed the Feds have an internal manual called “GSM cellphone tracking for dummies.”

The release of the documents was first prompted last year after EPIC launched a lawsuit under the Freedom of Information Act. The suit was triggered after it emerged during a court case in 2011 that the feds had used a cell-site simulator in order to track down a suspect, with one agent admitting in an affidavit that the tool collaterally swept up data on “innocent, non-target devices” (U.S. v. Rigmaiden). The government has previously argued that tools like the Stingray are permissible without a search warrant—outside the search and seizure protections offered by the Fourth Amendment—because they use them to gather location data, not the content of communications. The Justice Department says cellphone users have no reasonable expectation of privacy over their location data—a claim that has incensed privacy and civil liberties groups.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/01/10/stingray_imsi_catcher_fbi_documents_shine_light_on _controversial_cellphone.html

EE_
18th January 2013, 04:59 PM
Stealth Hoodie Hides Wearer From Drones
Jan 18, 2013 02:38 PM ET // by Jesse Emspak

Surveillance cameras are ubiquitous, especially in the U.K.. and in the United States, Congress has already approved the use of drones for domestic surveillance. Then there’s the “Stingray” tool used by the FBI to track cell phones. It’s enough to make even those who’ve gotten nothing hide feel nervous.

New York-based artist Adam Harvey doesn’t like it one bit. So he’s taken it upon himself to design anti-surveillance clothing to foil government snoopers.

An Invisibility Cloak For Heat
Harvey has been looking at the effects of such surveillance on culture for some time. Last year he designed a kind of face makeup called CVDazzle to avert face-recognition software.

In the spirit of fooling cameras – and messing with surveillance – Harvey has now come out in a set of hoodies and scarves that block thermal radiation from the infrared scanners drones use. Wearing the fabric would make that part of the body look black to a drone, so the image would appear like disembodied legs. He also designed a pouch for cell phones that shields them from trackers by blocking the radio signals the phone emits. For those airport X-ray machines, he has a shirt with a printed design that blocks the radiation from one’s heart.

Libyan Rebels Flying High With Minidrone
The materials the clothes are made are specialized and expensive, so these aren’t the kinds of fashions that the local discount store will have – at least not yet. Harvey does plan to offer the clothes for sale, though.

He sees the designs as a kind of conversation about surveillance in society at large. If we’re going to be watched all the time, shouldn’t we find a way to deal with that?

If you want to see Harvey’s work, it will be at Primitive London starting Jan. 17.
http://news.discovery.com/tech/gear-and-gadgets/stealth-hoodie-hides-wearer-drones-130118.htm

osoab
18th January 2013, 06:10 PM
Project Echelon (http://www.nsawatch.org/echelonfaq.html)

The above is a bigger threat.

General of Darkness
18th January 2013, 06:28 PM
I think that this "Stingray" uses the data network and GPS etc. So here's my solutions since I've got a Samsung Galaxy 3, yes it's a great tool for being in sales, I'm always connect, yeah I know I know.

1 - Set-up the cheapest phone I can find with literally NO data, NOTHING with my current provider.

2 - With Android I believe I can close all the apps, WiFi etc and still make and receive calls.

I just tried option 2 and it works. I wish I had a REAL answer to this, but I'm not an expert at cellular technology.

EE_
18th January 2013, 06:48 PM
How did Adam Lanza evade all this technology for three years?
He must have been a genius?

osoab
28th January 2013, 05:09 PM
The Government is Profiling You (http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article33749.htm)

While spreading an atmosphere of fear after 9/11, our government has violated our laws, prevented the Congress and courts from doing their Constitutional duty, created a surveillance state and concentrated power in the executive, all in the name of keeping us safe. In an effort to reverse these ongoing unconstitutional activities, William Binney revealed the National Security Agency's massive domestic spying program, Stellar Wind, which intercepts domestic communications without protections for US citizens. Binney disclosed that NSA sought and received access to telecommunications companies' domestic and international billing records.

He told the public that, since 9/11, the agency has intercepted between 15 and 20 trillion communications. Binney also revealed that the NSA concealed Stellar Wind under the patriotic-sounding "Terrorist Surveillance Program," in order to give cover to the warrantless surveillance program's violations of Americans' constitutional rights.

hour and a half vid a link.

joboo
28th January 2013, 06:10 PM
Welcome to 2013, this type of thing has been going on for a couple decades. The main fiber trunk was spliced way back.

As of this Saturday it's now illegal to unlock your cell phone. $500,000 fine, or 5 years in jail or both...whatever they want to do with you.

Make sure you get your carrier's permission, or you get spanked.

Glass
13th February 2013, 05:29 PM
Meet Stingray Surveillance: The "Unconstitutional, All-You-Can-Eat Data Buffet"

Via Michael Krieger of Liberty Blitzkrieg blog (http://libertyblitzkrieg.com/2013/02/13/meet-stingray-surveillance-the-unconstitutional-all-you-can-eat-data-buffet/),
It’s getting impossible to keep track of all the new spy tools being rolled out by the police state in the name of “fighting terrorism”, aka spying on innocent American citizens unconstitutionally. I thought that I had my hands full the other day with ARGUS: The World’s Highest Resolution Video Surveillance Platform (http://libertyblitzkrieg.com/2013/01/29/meet-argus-the-worlds-highest-resolution-video-surveillance-platform/), but this “Stingray” system is already being deployed illegally in cities throughout the United States. As the EFF (https://www.eff.org/) states: “The Stingray is the digital equivalent of the pre-revolutionary British soldier.” From the EFF:
The device, which acts as a fake cell phone tower, essentially allows the government to electronically search large areas for a particular cell phone’s signal—sucking down data on potentially thousands of innocent people along the way. At the same time, law enforcement has attempted use them while avoiding many of the traditional limitations set forth in the Constitution, like individualized warrants. This is why we called the tool “an unconstitutional, all-you-can-eat data buffet.”

Recently, LA Weekly reported the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) got a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) grant in 2006 to buy a stingray. The original grant request said it would be used for “regional terrorism investigations.” Instead LAPD has been using it for just about any investigation imaginable.

Of course, we’ve seen this pattern over and over and over. The government uses “terrorism” as a catalyst to gain some powerful new surveillance tool or ability, and then turns around and uses it on ordinary citizens, severely infringing on their civil liberties in the process.

Stingrays are particularly odious given they give police dangerous “general warrant” powers, which the founding fathers specifically drafted the Fourth Amendment to prevent. In pre-revolutionary America, British soldiers used “general warrants” as authority to go house-to-house in a particular neighborhood, looking for whatever they please, without specifying an individual or place to be searched.
The Stingray is the digital equivalent of the pre-revolutionary British soldier.

On March 28th, the judge overseeing the Rigmaiden case, which we wrote about previously, will hold a hearing on whether evidence obtained using a stringray should be suppressed. It will be one of the first times a judge will rules on the constitutionality of these devices in federal court.

It will be interesting to see what happens in late March. I will be watching.

Link @ zerohedge (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-02-13/guest-post-meet-stingray-surveillance-unconstitutional-all-you-can-eat-data-buffet)

gunDriller
13th February 2013, 06:03 PM
in 2001 Nokia contracted with Northrop Grumman to design their 2.5 G cell phone base station.

given that division's other products (Communications, Navigation, Interrogation Friend-or-Foe Avionics for F-22, JSF, etc.), and the security clearances already in place, i wouldn't be surprised if Northrop Grumman got the contract specifically so they could design in back-doors for the NSA etc.

and - the project started in early 2001 ... before 9-11.

given Northrop Grumman's very intimate relationship with the Neocon war-toy-boyz, i'm thinking there was more going on on that one contract than just Nokia paying Northrop Grumman to design a cell-phone base station.

it was pretty odd when you think about it. most of the time Nokia designs their own base stations.

why this one time did they pay Northrop Grumman to do it ? i'm thinking they wanted a cell-phone base station that was "Patriot Act" compliant.