PDA

View Full Version : This pic seems wrong?

Libertytree
21st January 2013, 03:00 PM
This is a pic from the inaugural parade, posted on yahoot. I thought I knew my period garb fairly well and "red coats" were NOT the fashion of the day for Americans. Thoughts? I know it's not of earth shattering importance but it strikes me as wrong. If the pic turns up small maybe someone can enlarge it?

Serpo
21st January 2013, 03:03 PM
http://gold-silver.us/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4348&d=1358809198

Cebu_4_2
21st January 2013, 03:03 PM
Maybe they are going to try to confiscate out weapons again, first time wasn't all that successful.

Serpo
21st January 2013, 03:04 PM
So America is the UK

chad
21st January 2013, 03:08 PM
red coats in washington, sounds about right.

Libertytree
21st January 2013, 03:10 PM
red coats in washington, sounds about right.

That would be TURN coats in Washington.

Heimdhal
21st January 2013, 03:42 PM
That is british line infantry dress. Red dye was far too expensive and difficult to obtain for the colonial army to equip their troops in, and it was also not a regular color for our colonial forces (militia or otherwise) specificaly because it WAS a color of the British regular forces.

We had a lot of greys and blue, since they were easier to make domestically. The colonial army official went to blue in 1780 or 81 (cant remember specificaly) by an order of washington. Before that, there was no standard. The standard was...dont look british and get shot.

http://ncrevwar.lostsoulsgenealogy.com/uniforms1776.htm (versions of period wear).

We did indeed have red in some uniforms, just not as a dominant color. Officers would somtimes have it in the trim and borders of uniforms, since it showed wealth.

Maybe they are guerillas posing as brits? :)

Libertytree
21st January 2013, 03:54 PM
That is british line infantry dress. Red dye was far too expensive and difficult to obtain for the colonial army to equip their troops in, and it was also not a regular color for our colonial forces (militia or otherwise) specificaly because it WAS a color of the British regular forces.

We had a lot of greys and blue, since they were easier to make domestically. The colonial army official went to blue in 1780 or 81 (cant remember specificaly) by an order of washington. Before that, there was no standard. The standard was...dont look british and get shot.

http://ncrevwar.lostsoulsgenealogy.com/uniforms1776.htm (versions of period wear).

We did indeed have red in some uniforms, just not as a dominant color. Officers would somtimes have it in the trim and borders of uniforms, since it showed wealth.

Maybe they are guerillas posing as brits? :)

Dude, that's exactly what I thought I knew, ver batim. Hell, I thought maybe I'd missed something somewhere, somehow and it made me doubt myself. Thanks for restoring my sanity!

Now...WTF? british fifers at an American presidential parade?

Cebu_4_2
21st January 2013, 04:14 PM
Who says he's an amerikan president?

PlatinumBlonde
21st January 2013, 04:58 PM
Dude, that's exactly what I thought I knew, ver batim. Hell, I thought maybe I'd missed something somewhere, somehow and it made me doubt myself. Thanks for restoring my sanity!

Now...WTF? british fifers at an American presidential parade?

Makes sense...after all Barry is a british subject..

midnight rambler
21st January 2013, 05:02 PM
Makes sense...after all Barry is a british subject..

lol The truth is we don't know what he is, however Spawn of Satan seems fitting somehow.

gunDriller
21st January 2013, 05:33 PM
lol The truth is we don't know what he is, however Spawn of Satan seems fitting somehow.

Dingle Barry is probably aiming for Knighthood. Maybe even Sainthood.

"Beknighted Sir Dingle Barry, Patron Saint of Satan's Spawn."

osoab
21st January 2013, 05:39 PM
Dingle Barry is probably aiming for Knighthood. Maybe even Sainthood.

"Beknighted Sir Dingle Barry, Patron Saint of Satan's Spawn."

Dingle Barry. I love it.