PDA

View Full Version : just a random observation on what doing things incrementally can do

chad
22nd January 2013, 03:26 PM
in 2008 after the big crash, i started saving all pasta sauce jars, pickle jars, any glass jar with a sealable rubber cap.

as i got 8 or 9 of them, i would dry can bean soup mix, spices, dehydrated vegetables from the garden, pasta, white rice, etc. using oxygen absorbers. i never did more than 10 **i think** at one time. a few them would never reseal (mainly pickle jars), but most did.

i just got done organizing all of them by date in my storage room. 387 jars, most of them 24 or 25 ounces. that's a crapload of food with not a lot of work, and it was never expensive to do, as i only ever did it small batches.

anyway, i surprised myself with this experiment. just thought i would point it out as a good and cheap way to do stuff incrementally.

Twisted Titan
22nd January 2013, 03:35 PM
How can a ant eat a elephant? One bite at a time

How can you build a ammo cache like Black Blade? One ammo box at a time.

gunDriller
22nd January 2013, 03:42 PM
in 2008 after the big crash, i started saving all pasta sauce jars, pickle jars, any glass jar with a sealable rubber cap.
anyway, i surprised myself with this experiment. just thought i would point it out as a good and cheap way to do stuff incrementally.

Depression era living.

nothing Depressing about it ! :)

When I go to Walmart, I go into the rest-room and get a big wad of paper towels. I compress them as much as possible and then go shopping, with a big bulge in my left jacket pocket.

Maybe Chad's method for saving money is better because he's not stealing paper towels. :)

chad
22nd January 2013, 03:44 PM
Depression era living.

nothing Depressing about it ! :)

When I go to Walmart, I go into the rest-room and get a big wad of paper towels. I compress them as much as possible and then go shopping, with a big bulge in my left jacket pocket.

Maybe Chad's method for saving money is better because he's not stealing paper towels. :)

hey, that's a good idea, i'll have to try it tomorrow :D

joboo
22nd January 2013, 03:45 PM
Every glass jar I see is like gold. It's actually a bonus consideration for me when deciding to buy something (both for health, and for storage). I have about a dozen soaking right now to get the store labels off.

Ponce
22nd January 2013, 03:47 PM
Chad? I posted about this longgggggggggg ago, back in Cuba you keep anything and everything....... empty containers in the future will be very valuable, let it be glass or plastic.

Gun? now you know why back in Cuba the restaurants put a chain to their silverware attached to the tables......and in the bathrooms they have someone that checks out the stalls after someone leave them.

V

chad
22nd January 2013, 03:48 PM
Every glass jar I see is like gold. It's actually a bonus consideration for me when deciding to buy something (both for health, and for storage). I have about a dozen soaking right now to get the store labels off.

i know what you mean. i started buying glass because of the whole bph thing in cans, but then i realized it is like getting a free mason jar when you buy a $1.50 thing of pasta sauce. it's literally like getting the food for free. you'd have to be a fool not to buy everything in glass jars if you can.

Glass
22nd January 2013, 07:36 PM
I did the same with the jars. I've got boxes of them now and hundreds of yet to be used lids. Hoping to get a canner this year and put them to good use.

chud
22nd January 2013, 08:44 PM

as i got 8 or 9 of them, i would dry can bean soup mix, spices, dehydrated vegetables from the garden, pasta, white rice, etc. using oxygen absorbers. i never did more than 10 **i think** at one time. a few them would never reseal (mainly pickle jars), but most did.

i just got done organizing all of them by date in my storage room. 387 jars, most of them 24 or 25 ounces. that's a crapload of food with not a lot of work, and it was never expensive to do, as i only ever did it small batches.

Very inspiring, thanks for posting that.
I wish you had shared it sooner. :-)

Mouse
23rd January 2013, 01:09 AM
Most commercial jars will not accept screw down lids with seals. Most commercial jars will also crack (or worse) if you use them for pressure applications. Most commercial jars are good for holding screws and nuts, or dehydrated goods with oxy absorbers.

Go to the yard sales and get you some old ladies stash of real jars. And make sure you get a crapload of rings and seals, I suspect they will be used. I go through hundreds a year.

madfranks
23rd January 2013, 07:11 AM

Have you ever been suspected of shoplifting? Once I was confronted with store security because both of my jacket pockets were bulged and zipped up. Of course it was just my gloves and hat, but they thought I was stealing.

I would like to make use of your idea though, but unfortunately I already have a rather large bulge in my pants and there's no room for me to stuff napkins in. :)

ShortJohnSilver
23rd January 2013, 02:07 PM
Just a note, new jars are less than $1 each for quart or pint sizes last I checked. You may have to go off the beaten path to find them, however.

osoab
23rd January 2013, 05:10 PM
Have you ever been suspected of shoplifting? Once I was confronted with store security because both of my jacket pockets were bulged and zipped up. Of course it was just my gloves and hat, but they thought I was stealing.

I would like to make use of your idea though, but unfortunately I already have a rather large bulge in my pants and there's no room for me to stuff napkins in. :)

I don't care to know how you shop for socks.