PDA

View Full Version : Check your inventory!!!

Twisted Titan
22nd January 2013, 09:42 PM
There is no need to speak on the Political climate and what it means to those of us who believe in personal responsibilty.

I just want to stress that everybody needs to do a visual inspection of their inventory and modify purchases if need be.

I just want to realte my personal experince has been.

When I got my Firearms back in the day i did a boat load of ammo purchases I had fat cans of 9mm out the whazoo, my shot gun and rifle ammo was beyond generous I added a few monsin nagats and the PSL 54c just so I have the abilty to reach out and touch somebody from afar if need be. tossed everything in deep storage and was content with the thought "Im ReadY'

Boy was I ever wrong.

The last cabiler of gun I added was my 45 so I was just focusing on picking up boxes of 230 gr when I finally Added up all my boxes i had like 3 fricken big military cans of it well over 3000 rds.

I instantly saw the made a blunder by not picking up boxes of 9mm to better balance out my cache now i am underweight in ammo for guns that I have more of.

also I inspected random boxes of my ammo and ( SURPRISE SURPRISE )some of them got rusted, dont know how, but i was sitting there in disbelief as I went through box after box shot gun shells that were compromised.

alot of The 9MM that i had in deep storage was starting to get discolored ( dont know why ) but I was extremley nervous after looking at my shot gun cache Butas bad as that one is the one that takes the cake is when i went to look over my Mosins.

I have three and I never got a chance to fire them but they all came with the bolt assembly wrapped individually I put one of them together just to see how they work and left the others as they were. well as i am doing inventory i cant locate my other two bolt assemblys. ripping the place up but I cant find them ANYWHERE I think they will enventually turn up but at this time they are unaccounted for.

So long and the short of it is: If the hammer fell today I would have ran to my weapon stash on to see a shit load of ammo that is sour, a boat load of ammo for only 3 pistols but the ammo for my others 6 might be compromised Plus I am down two battle rifles before any shooting even starts.

Thats not good......actualy thats Piss Poor Performance that would have got me canned and with the quickness.

Needless to say I am taking immediate steps to rectify my shortcomings.

I am just putting the word out there: Everybody needs to check their inventory DONT ASSUME!! CHECK IT !!

I gurantee you will catch at spot at least two chinks in your armor and one of them might be a massive.

Dont delay time is shorter then most of us think.

Hop to it.......NOW.

Twisted Titan
23rd January 2013, 05:54 AM
Bump for The morning Crew.

SLV^GLD
23rd January 2013, 06:10 AM
Rotate your inventory and actually fire and maintain the weapons you have. In this way, there is no need to "check" the inventory.

Desiccant and tight seals keeps the rust away.

chad
23rd January 2013, 06:15 AM
do you have pics of your rusty shotgun ammo? it is probably fine. i have shot rusty shotgun ammo for 25+ years without a problem. the ends tend to rust very easily (especially if you duck & goose hunt in moisture all the time).

Libertytree
23rd January 2013, 06:38 AM
TT, have you thought of vaccume sealing your ammo?

Spectrism
23rd January 2013, 07:06 AM
Anyone try making their own dessicant?

If you have a large box, you might try it.

I was thinking of getting some charcoal for BBQs. Cooking them in a covered cast iron pot will boil off any moisture without enough oxygen to burn them. Once cooled, bag the charcoal. These should soak up any moisture in a container. Also works for tools.... even if you did not preheat them.

Sparky
23rd January 2013, 07:46 AM
Rotate your inventory and actually fire and maintain the weapons you have.

I think this is good advice for all perishable preparations, whether it be ammo, fuel, food, or water: USE and ROTATE!

joboo
23rd January 2013, 07:52 AM
I think this guy needs to check humidity levels more than anything.

Twisted Titan
23rd January 2013, 08:34 AM
It was the back portion that got rusted

Not even fully.

The more i look at them

The better i feel about them

It was just a schock to see stuff sitting in boxes you never messed with look anything less then new

Twisted Titan
23rd January 2013, 08:36 AM
TT, have you thought of vaccume sealing your ammo?

You know i have disscant pouches but i never fully organized my ammo for deep storage.

I will break up my cache into battle ready and deep storage

Libertytree
23rd January 2013, 08:16 PM
You know i have disscant pouches but i never fully organized my ammo for deep storage.

I will break up my cache into battle ready and deep storage

A home vacume sealer, for food, is what I've seen used down here in the south because of the humidity. You could throw in one of the oxy absorbers in for good measure though. The vac sealers come in real handy for lots of other prep needs as well.

Twisted Titan
23rd January 2013, 11:57 PM
I think this is good advice for all perishable preparations, whether it be ammo, fuel, food, or water: USE and ROTATE!

I would whole heartley agree but I think we are moving into a time when essentials should be stored up.

I would dry fire and use snap caps.

That box of ammo used at the range may be all the difference down the road.

Im just leery of wasting ammo.

Nomoss
24th January 2013, 01:26 AM
I keep it in ammo cans then fill it with CO2. I do the same with food grains.
Like rice & beans. But I put the co2 in then the grains.
Think about it & you will see why.

gunDriller
24th January 2013, 05:27 AM
condensing humidity is a remarkably persistent foe.

i was first made aware of it when i was asked to fix it at a defense contractor, where it was causing water to get into some air-conditioned assemblies and they were shorting out.

i found a $7 fix that has worked in the auto industry for decades - dielectric grease. i was asked/ told to write a proposal for a $5 million re-design, instead. i refused and was assigned to a different project.

since then, i have noticed it all over the place. e.g. if you have a tarp over something, maybe even triple-tarped, to protect from rain - it doesn't matter. if you have something in storage that air can get into, and you don't live in the desert or somewhere where the air is 10% humidity or lower, and it gets cold at night (where doesn't it get cold at night) - your stored stuff will accumulate moisture, unless it is sealed.

the moisture may or may not damage it.

i got lucky last year. i had some tools stored outside, and during the summer did an inspection and found some rust. 'lost' about 200 pounds of tools - they're still usable, but not sell-able.

so i guess i will use those tools first.

anyway, it's got me curious. i bought some Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly), and some Marine Grease. I may eventually buy some of the other products, and give them all a test (got plenty of tools to test them on.)

now my instinct for long term outdoor storage of high-value items -
* wrap in cloth so sharp edges don't tear bags.
* triple bag in 3 mil contractor bags. seal each bag with poly rope pulled very, very tight.

as far as desiccators, besides desiccator desiccators, stuff like rice will also absorb moisture.

of course the problem with using a food stuff as a desiccator is that then the squirrels will tear into it.

squirrels are amazing. they devoured an entire collection of food & tree seeds that i had a few years ago. one of them drank a pint of Safer's insecticidal soap that i had in a plastic bin in a storage space - and seemed to enjoy it.

anyway, i learned, atmospheric stuff like condensing humidity and animals like squirrels can rip the most well-laid prepper plans to shreds.

Publico
24th January 2013, 06:35 AM
Twisted Titan:

Clearly you forget about bullet maintenance. You should be a bit more careful letting your bullets rust and all.

But more importantly in your post you gave me all the information needed to figured who you are (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110126201842/mayberry/images/f/fb/Bankjob6.jpg)and exactly what you do while at work (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110102173442/mayberry/images/d/da/BankJobAsa.jpg) (3:40 has the best image of T.T. you'll ever see).

Here's the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q_Equi4cx8)of the local deputy finding out that you've got rusty bullets.

BarnkleBob
24th January 2013, 12:03 PM
We purchase 18 gal black plastic tubs (about $6) with snap lids, place food, ammo, etc. in quality zip-lock bags.... then put a "Damp-Rid" ($2 @ dollah store) inside the tub.... works good for 9 - 12 months b4 damp-rid requires replacing...

JDRock
25th January 2013, 07:09 AM
...thanx for the reminder TT...i loathe doing this but it needs to be done.......( grumbles and grabs his coffee and heads out to the garage...)

mick silver
25th January 2013, 07:17 AM
i have a safe just for ammo . this is what i put in mine it works great ......... http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Gun-Storage/Gun-Safes|/pc/104792580/c/104730480/sc/104369580/Liberty-Dehumidifying-Rod/1168135.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshoo ting-gun-storage-gun-safes%2F_%2FN-1100213%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104369580%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat1047 92580%253Bcat104730480&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104792580%3Bcat104730480%3Bcat104 369580 ... and it cheap to what the price of ammo is now