PDA

View Full Version : Bug Out Vehicle challenge

Hillbilly
18th February 2013, 02:51 AM
What vehicle would you choose for ultimate reliability and livability if you only had 2000 thousand dollars? I'm thinking that a lot of people either spend too much or are unable to spend a lot of money on a Bug out Vehicle or Gypsy type vehicle that that could stay mobile in and live in during some large scale crisis where they were forced to leave home?

2000 dollars to spend
It has to be reliable
Fuel Efficient
able to haul your stuff and sleep in the back

What would you buy?

freespirit
18th February 2013, 04:41 AM
for me i bought a '99 jeep grand cherokee. $2000 cert/e-tested, hi output 4.0L inline 6cyl. roof rack to store gear, seats fold flat in the back for sleeping, fuel efficient, and full time all wheel drive.

get one of those SUV tent things for the back and you're off!

but hey, thats just me... ;D

palani
18th February 2013, 07:24 AM
Find a used Rokon.

General of Darkness
18th February 2013, 07:35 AM
for me i bought a '99 jeep grand cherokee. $2000 cert/e-tested, hi output 4.0L inline 6cyl. roof rack to store gear, seats fold flat in the back for sleeping, fuel efficient, and full time all wheel drive.

get one of those SUV tent things for the back and you're off!

but hey, thats just me... ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3favjuZPPM&list=UUvlG_ZnHoZLPv0CVWOC0a1Q&index=5

freespirit
18th February 2013, 12:04 PM
actually general, mine is the WJ model and has a dana30 front axle and a dana35 rear.

there are a few upgrades you can do to these axles to make them into serious off-roaders, but for the most part, they are pretty bomb for stock equipment. i have a few upgrades planned for the jeep this year, and was thinking of posting a thread about it in the lounge but so far the only mod i have done to mine was adding a throttle body spacer which has definitely made a difference in fuel economy and torque as well as throttle response.

i have driven it all winter with no starting problems, never even came close to getting stuck, even in 14.5" of snow.

i would recommend it to anyone!

Libertytree
18th February 2013, 12:43 PM
I have an 89 XJ Renix, it's a helluva good truck but as mentioned in the vid diagnosing sensor problems is very problematic. I took mine to a shop that had the computer to diagnose my problem(s) and it's still inconclusive. So, a fuel filter, cap/rotar, throttle body sensor, air intake sensor later she's still not right. Picked up an oxygen sensor today, hopefully that'll get me back on the road again.

freespirit
18th February 2013, 01:24 PM
LT-
Are you a member of any of the jeep forums? I have found a ton of info on them but am not a member of any...

Libertytree
18th February 2013, 01:34 PM
LT-
Are you a member of any of the jeep forums? I have found a ton of info on them but am not a member of any...

Like you I'm just a lurker and researcher, lots of people have had my/these issues in the past, so it's no use to post a new thread about it. There's a ton of good info out there and Lord knows I've culled them all trying to find a needle in a haystack and I've learned quite a bit too in the process. Oh, I forgot, also replaced the crankshaft position sensor. Next will either be the MAP sensor or fuel pump or fuel pump regulator?? Hopefully though it's the O2 sensor I just now bought, keeping fingers crossed and praying, lol.

Hillbilly
18th February 2013, 01:35 PM
Find a used Rokon.

Rokon's are cool but you can't sleep in them. I'm taking about being able to go from place to place living in your vehicle for protection from the elements and "other things"

govcheetos
18th February 2013, 02:01 PM
1st generation Toyota 4Runner. (84-89)

-Many available
-decent on fuel
-reasonbly easy to work on
-huge aftermarket parts availability
-arguably indestructable.

If you ever watch the MSM news when they show "terrorists", it's always about 8-10 guys with AKs and a anti aircraft gun riding around in a 1st generation Toyota. That's gotta mean something.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/

Here is a thread about a couple living in their 4Runner traveling from the US to Argentina.

Shows how they outfitted the vehicle and REAL life challeges encountered by a couple out there actually doing it.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/classic-t4rs/101157-home-highway-san-francisco-ushuaia-argentina-87-4runner.html

This shows how much these vehicles can take. This is a truck and not a 4Runner, but the frames, engines, and drive trains are the same. (Also has good controlled demolition footage for the 911 truth folks.)

No offense to the Jeep folks, but i can't see a cherokee holding up to this stuff.
part 1
http://youtu.be/xnWKz7Cthkk

part 2
http://youtu.be/0Uc4Ksz3nHM

part 3
http://youtu.be/YfZDtC9kjVk

Libertytree
18th February 2013, 02:17 PM
I think I might opt for a 4x4 pickup, (70's/80's model with no computers) with a camper and pull a small trailer for any extra stuff.

govcheetos
18th February 2013, 02:37 PM
I think I might opt for a 4x4 pickup, (70's/80's model with no computers) with a camper and pull a small trailer for any extra stuff.

I use to think the same, but changed my mind to a single vehicle.

During a bug out type situation I don't want to have to be pulling a trailer.

-lowers your visibility
-slows you down
- you're a larger target
-not nearly as offroad capable
-needs more fuel to pull it
-you'll fill it up with stuff that the horde will want to take from you

Same reasons for not wanting an RV as a bugout vehicle

midnight rambler
18th February 2013, 02:43 PM
'buggin' out' = becoming a refugee

and

on the road you don't have enough to pay for those 'toll roads'

Libertytree
18th February 2013, 02:49 PM
I use to think the same, but changed my mind to a single vehicle.

During a bug out type situation I don't want to have to be pulling a trailer.

-lowers your visibility
-slows you down
- you're a larger target
-not nearly as offroad capable
-needs more fuel to pull it
-you'll fill it up with stuff that the horde will want to take from you

I reckon it depends on the bugout objective and what the parameters are. In my case I hope to have the XJ and my enclosed trailer that can be used as a shelter upon my destination and/or to haul supplies. If I had to absolutely dump or hide it somewhere I would, worst case scenario I'd put what I could in/on the truck and torch the trailer.

Libertytree
18th February 2013, 02:52 PM

and

Buggin out isn't optimal but it might have to be a contingency plan should the need come down to it.

govcheetos
18th February 2013, 02:52 PM
I reckon it depends on the bugout objective and what the parameters are. In my case I hope to have the XJ and my enclosed trailer that can be used as a shelter upon my destination and/or to haul supplies. If I had to absolutely dump or hide it somewhere I would, worst case scenario I'd put what I could in/on the truck and torch the trailer.

I have an RV to live in in the event my house was destroyed in a hurricane, but wouldn't "BugOut" in it in a SHTF scenario.

Hillbilly
18th February 2013, 03:10 PM
I'm a American Vehicle man but I'm starting to think that a pre 84 toyota 4x4 truck might be the way to go. Any experience with them?

govcheetos
18th February 2013, 03:14 PM
I'm a American Vehicle man but I'm starting to think that a pre 84 toyota 4x4 truck might be the way to go. Any experience with them?

Haven't had a pre-84, only mid 80s and early 90s.

Pre 84 would still have a 22r or 20r engine which are legendary.

A lot of the 84-88 models and a few of the early 90s had carbed engines if you are looking to get away from fuel injection.

pre 86 had solid front axles which are highly desired.

Hillbilly
19th February 2013, 12:36 AM
Haven't had a pre-84, only mid 80s and early 90s.

Pre 84 would still have a 22r or 20r engine which are legendary.

A lot of the 84-88 models and a few of the early 90s had carbed engines if you are looking to get away from fuel injection.

pre 86 had solid front axles which are highly desired.

I've been reading that the 20r and early 22r had better timing chains and can run nearly forever if taken care of. I want to stay away from any fuel injection or computers. How are the Automatic Tranys in these vehicles? I have a bad leg and really need an auto.

govcheetos
19th February 2013, 04:42 PM
Yes, the 22r and 20 r had timing chains are way more preferred over timing belts. They are also carb engines. The 22re is the same engine with fuel injection.

The automatics are good as far as automatics go. I've never had to rebuild an automatic or replace a clutch in a Toyota vehicle, and I've owned five so far. Currently own one with an automatic with over 221K on it, never been rebuilt. I change the fluid and clean the filter every year regardless of mileage. My transmission guy said he almost never gets them in his shop and has only worked on a few. I have owned six GM vehicles (still own four) and have had to rebuild two automatics so far. The automatics do cut down on fuel mileage and are a lot more sluggish than a 4 or 5 speed.

A company called LC Engineering does A LOT with these engines as far as freeing up extra horsepower.

Hillbilly
19th February 2013, 05:52 PM
Yes, the 22r and 20 r had timing chains are way more preferred over timing belts. They are also carb engines. The 22re is the same engine with fuel injection.

The automatics are good as far as automatics go. I've never had to rebuild an automatic or replace a clutch in a Toyota vehicle, and I've owned five so far. Currently own one with an automatic with over 221K on it, never been rebuilt. I change the fluid and clean the filter every year regardless of mileage. My transmission guy said he almost never gets them in his shop and has only worked on a few. I have owned six GM vehicles (still own four) and have had to rebuild two automatics so far. The automatics do cut down on fuel mileage and are a lot more sluggish than a 4 or 5 speed.

A company called LC Engineering does A LOT with these engines as far as freeing up extra horsepower.

That's good to know, I'm going to start looking for either toyota pickup or station wagon. any specific years or models that stand out that you would recommend?

Serpo
20th February 2013, 10:19 AM
Well it looks as I am going bug out and posting isnt going to be so easy on dial up but the vehicle here that I can use up rugged hills is a LADA 1600 NIVA .

Fantastic vehicle and gets up the hills well,ran out of all rego ect but works well on our land,This thing keeps going.

joboo
22nd February 2013, 04:35 PM
http://img.izismile.com/img/img6/20130222/640/daily_picdump_1169_640_15.jpg

General of Darkness
22nd February 2013, 04:40 PM
Joboo. Either post to provide valuable information or don't post.

joboo
22nd February 2013, 10:42 PM
Joboo. Either post to provide valuable information or don't post.

What? It's the the ultimate bug out vehicle (a touch of humor never hurt anyone).

Only post valuable information? Dude....you post (start threads even) about the most inane inconsequential things Ive ever seen.

old steel
22nd February 2013, 10:50 PM

and

Post of the day.

Glass
23rd February 2013, 03:31 PM
Dirty MAP sensors seem to be a problem with a lot of 4x4. Not done it. Read a lot about it on local 4wd forums. Cause? Its just crud build up. Can be cleaned for improvement in power.

I was looking at solar systems, dual batteries at a site written so I can understand it. Found a link to this thing:

http://www.robgray.com/graynomad/wothahellizat/12711.jpg

This spiel refers to Wothahellizat Mk1 which is no more, I'll leave it here though because much still applies to Wothahellizat Mk2.

How many miles on it? The truck has only 34,000 miles on the clock. This is genuine and quite reasonable for an ex-army vehicle that was then used by a fire brigade (it had 12,000 when we bought it). Therefore the running gear is in good condition.

To give you an idea, when we had the springs reset last year, the shackle pins pushed out with a small amount of pressure from my finger. They looked new.

We put a recon Perkins 6354 in it. The motor has only 20,000 miles since the rebuild. It was built by Mick Umback at The Rock Tractor Repairs. Mick is well known as an expert on Perkins, and for doing a good job.

The gearbox was rebuilt about 15,000 miles ago.

Why would you buy an old truck?
The truck is old-fashioned technology which is easy and cheap to work on, but apart from maintenance you shouldn't have to work on it. It's had an easy life.

There's no computers here, if something breaks you can weld it back on, or wire a sapling onto it until you get into town.

It's still easy to find parts (there's an ad in every "Deals on Wheels" specifically for ex-army ACCO parts). The Army ACCOs were renowned for their reliability and I'm inclined to agree, we've had no problems with the original truck bits.

I installed a Perkins engine for the same reason, absolutely everybody knows about the Perkins 6354.

When we built this we both had well-paid jobs and didn't mind spending big, for example the inverter cost $5300. Everything was purchased new, no second-hand bits were used.

http://www.robgray.com/graynomad/wothahellizat/wot1/diaries/diary_34/pic_3.jpg

http://www.robgray.com/graynomad/wothahellizat/wot1/index.php

It isn't low profile but sure looks comfortable.

Might be OT, anyone considered camoflague? Not in the traditional way but ways to reduce profile when in going through populations. Blend in. If you have a lot of stuff, something that looks commercial could be useful. A pickup and a trademens trailer type of thing.

Anyone seen those guys spraying their cars in plastic. The stuff they coat tool handles with for grip. Sprays on, peels off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoCuSNs9U50

joboo
23rd February 2013, 04:27 PM
Anyone seen those guys spraying their cars in plastic. The stuff they coat tool handles with for grip. Sprays on, peels off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoCuSNs9U50

Neat, I wonder how durable it is (years?), and after it bakes in the sun if it affects the clear coat.

Glass
4th March 2013, 09:05 PM
been looking into Land Rover Defenders recently. They have a bad rap for reliability although this seems to apply to the other models than the Defender. The current 2.2Lt Diesel power plant seems to be a bit light on to me but people get by. I like the basic utility of them. You get a lot less fruit in a new one of these than you do another brand small truck. Things like air bags and side intrusion protection etc. Adjustable steering and adjustable seats.

Some of the older models have different engines but mostly they are about 2.5Lt capacity. You will not go anywhere in a hurry but you will get there. The 110 wagon is a good size and there are a lot of Bodgers out there doing all sorts of things to their Defenders.

These tick none of my boxes except for low tech = hopefully easy to work on but I'm still interested.

govcheetos
5th March 2013, 07:35 PM
I'm pretty sure parts are gonna be a nightmare to find/pay for like most other British vehicles.

For what it's worth, this guy rides an old school toyota at about minute 1:26.

http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?67762-Modern-day-Thoreau-Harassed-by-the-Government

Glass
5th March 2013, 09:18 PM
I'm pretty sure parts are gonna be a nightmare to find/pay for like most other British vehicles.

For what it's worth, this guy rides an old school toyota at about minute 1:26.

http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?67762-Modern-day-Thoreau-Harassed-by-the-Government

I'm living in one of the colonies so there are a few Land Rovers around. I like the Defender, Wrangler type of vehicle. Function over form. Prefer ye olde engines that were pre electronics. Hard to get these days so the next best would be a low electronic power plant like the 5 cyl 2.5L unit they ran for a while.

My criteria are:
low tech engine
low tech transmission and transfer boxes (as possible)
High torque
multi fuel capable
Wagon body or tray back with canopy potential
Off road ready with no mods.

Not my daily vehicle but something that will go off road not pretend to go off road. Basically bullet proof. A lot of the new 4x4's I've been looking at are about 60% the way to being an offroader. Suspension and cooling seem to be the biggest weaknesses. Toyotas are more off road than others with protection plates underneath and a fairly good suspension. Other brands you would be looking at another $5K to get them setup for off road plus double or triple that depending on tyres and recovery options.

Old Toyota cruisers and hiluxes are good gear. Unbreakable. I had a toyota (car) and they go and go. Not the most fuel efficient but not the worst. The offroaders here command a high premium. Even for old units. You will pay $40K - $50K for a 5 year old Prado - baby landcruiser. Top of the range Landcruiser is $110K. Doesn't need much more than a fridge and a fat wallet and your good to go the Simpson desert.

Isuzu looks good. Stronger donk and a 3 tonne truck drivetrain. Big chassis. Needs cooling for the transmission and stiffer suspension.

The Land Rover is similar in that it doesn't need any mods to go off road. I think the motor is underpowered for the weight of the machine but you will get where you are going.