PDA

View Full Version : Police raid home after man posts image of toy mortar on Facebook

joboo
24th February 2013, 06:51 PM
http://www.digitaljournal.com/img/8/0/1/6/6/7/i/1/4/1/p-large/Facebook_profile_pic.jpg

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/343717#ixzz2LBMy4PGz (http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/343717#ixzz2LBMy4PGz)

"Tewkesbury (http://maps.google.com/?q=Tewkesbury%2C+United+Kingdom&z=4) - Police recently raided a U.K. man's home after he'd posted an image on Facebook. The picture had contained a toy action figure, and there was a toy mortar in the background.

A Gloucestershire home was swarmed by police after a tip from an unidentified Facebook user reported the image to authorities, seemingly believing the man had a mortar in his home, which had been displayed in a profile picture posted to Facebook. The image shows "Action Man", a toy action figure, with a toy dog; the "mortar" was in the background. According to CNET (http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57569754-71/facebook-pic-of-toy-mortar-leads-to-armed-cops-raid/), five carloads of police showed up at Ian Driscoll's Tewkesbury house "armed with guns and a search warrant."

The Daily Mail reported two of the officers were carrying submachine guns. Police had reportedly told Driscoll it was a good thing he was home at the time when they'd arrived or else the door would have had to be broken down. Expecting to find a weapon, imagine the police's reaction when they found a plastic toy rather than a real mortar.

Police said they were relieved to find out the mortar was only a toy and that this ending was better than a potential situation where the public could have been at risk. "The information was given to us in good faith and we acted with good intentions," said Gloucestershire police spokesman Alexa Collicott. "We are sure that the community would rather we acted quickly on information given to us of this nature, in case it had turned out to be a weapon."

The photo still appears on Driscoll's Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=111349572365459&set=p.111349572365459&type=3&theater). What's interesting is it's been up for a while, there are comments under the photo that date back to the first week of December.

“The Action Man looked a bit like me, so I decided to put it as my Facebook picture,” Driscoll, 43, said, reported the Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2278111/Operation-overkill-Armed-cops-swoop-Action-Man-looking-mortar-owner-posts-picture-TOY-weapon-Facebook.html). “I didn’t even notice the mortar in the background.” Another point to note, a remote control also sits in the photo, which indicates scale.

Gawker (http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/02/police-raided-a-guys-house-because-he-posted-a-picture-of-a-toy-mortar-on-facebook/) questioned if anyone actually looked at the photo. "I couldn’t believe someone thought it was real," Driscoll, who is a model maker, told the media. "It’s tiny and quite clearly a toy. I can’t stop laughing. I think it’s hilarious.""

https://jm904a.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pgbb56SouKfCn2D86SZ2GR9YzsbIj15bo0Z7Vmy7x4ZJ2GiG 4s8N3CrOJWXSsVUJNc3IUjqbsLkyx2oS1IqNAQJ-1dz9WCeKR/1273993314096-1.jpg?psid=1

General of Darkness
24th February 2013, 07:08 PM
WTF have we been saying about CIAbook?

Dogman
24th February 2013, 07:16 PM
Seems like the limy isle is just proving they are over and around the bend and one card short of a full deck. (More than one)

Twisted Titan
25th February 2013, 04:41 AM
You know something

Im really not mad at the police this time.

They actually get a pass on this one because i know what to expect when they are involed in anything so their behavior is consitent

How did all this happen?

SOMEBODY SNITCHED.

Some little candy@$$ dipsh!t felt the need to blab his mouth on something he knew nothing about.

This is why the elite rule because we gleefully tell on ourselves rather then minding our business and going about our daily

I hope the snitcher finds himself on the wrong side of the prying eye soon enough.

Twisted Titan
25th February 2013, 04:46 AM
"I couldn’t believe someone thought it was real," Driscoll, who is a model maker, told the media. "It’s tiny and quite clearly a toy. I can’t stop laughing. I think it’s hilarious.""

Uggh there is nothing funny that 5 truckloads of goons showed up ready to kill you anybody else in your home for a platic toy.am glad your being a good sport about it.

No wonder England has become the toilet if Europe.....look what passes for inteligence

Son-of-Liberty
25th February 2013, 07:37 AM
As usual the police did some good detective work on this one.

Joking aside it looks like they did no investigating before sending 5 truckloads of goons to this guys house. He is lucky to be alive.

So all someone has to do now is accuse someone of having an illegal weapon and they swat team your house.

mamboni
25th February 2013, 07:53 AM
"I couldn’t believe someone thought it was real," Driscoll, who is a model maker, told the media. "It’s tiny and quite clearly a toy. I can’t stop laughing. I think it’s hilarious.""

Uggh there is nothing funny that 5 truckloads of goons showed up ready to kill you anybody else in your home for a platic toy.am glad your being a good sport about it.

No wonder England has become the toilet if Europe.....look what passes for inteligence

Snitch! The government and MSM have done a masterful job at dividing and conquering us. These "snitchs" have more trust in government than their fellow man. That is a big probem. And "snitchs" have no respect for privacy and no understanding of private property. That is alos a big problem....for those of us who still believe that the government should fear the people and not the opposite. And where is the accountability for this gross police incompetence? Imagine the cost of this stupid operation? How about the carbon footprint - the gallons of gas consumed for naught? And these officers are paid, with generous pensions to boot. And of course, someone could have gotten hurt. But you see, government operatives are given a free pass no matter how stupid, reckless and wasteful they are. But if you so much as whisper the word "bomb" in an airport you will get frisked, scanned, detained, interrogated and God knows what else. Everything is upside down. We need a complete system reset and a mass culling of all the idiots, dupes, tools and snitchs to put things right.

Son-of-Liberty
25th February 2013, 08:05 AM
The home owner needs to sue everyone involved. How hard would it have been for the police to look at the guys facebook page before sending the swat team?

As for the snitch make him/her prove in court that this wasn't malicious.

Pretty sure this guy would get paid off even in the UK.

Silver Rocket Bitches!
25th February 2013, 08:13 AM
If this had happened in the states they would have arrived at the wrong house and shot the owner's dog.

Son-of-Liberty
25th February 2013, 08:25 AM
If this had happened in the states they would have arrived at the wrong house and shot the owner's dog.

The Daily Mail reported two of the officers were carrying submachine guns. Police had reportedly told Driscoll it was a good thing he was home at the time when they'd arrived or else the door would have had to be broken down.

If this had happened in the states they would have kicked down this guys door in the middle of the night and probably shot him. At least they are a little more polite over there.

There was a guy in Ontario a few years back who was a gun collector. He had about 100 guns all registered. Some guy in his apartment snitched on him for having guns. They kick in his door at 3am knowing full well this guy is a law abiding citizen. When they can't find anything illegal they try and charge him with unsafe storage of a firearm because he was working on one and some of the parts (incomplete gun) were not locked in his safe. It didn't stick. This is the cops usual MO. Kick in doors first ask questions later.

Hitch
25th February 2013, 11:08 AM
This incident, if applied to 4th amendment search and seizure, is a perfect example of the gray area of the law.

It all comes down to what is "reasonable" and can be articulated to justify the search. The cops aren't going to micro analyze the photo, when the person snitched, the cops then could get the warrant for the search. They pretty much have to search the home at that point, they've got to cover their asses, because if they don't and it actually was a mortar that was used on school kids. The responsibility falls on them.

So, they search the home. They can only search in areas where it is reasonable a mortar could be located. It's not reasonable for a mortar to fit into a jewelry box, for example, but could be in a closet. Once inside the home, anything illegal they find, they can make an arrest.

Twisted Titan
25th February 2013, 01:08 PM
The home owner needs to sue everyone involved. How hard would it have been for the police to look at the guys facebook page before sending the swat team?

As for the snitch make him/her prove in court that this wasn't malicious.

Pretty sure this guy would get paid off even in the UK.

Oh no......

The snitch will be protected.

For a plastic toy they are seal team six.

To locate who started this boondoogle they all of a sudden the become The Keystone Cops complete with music.

Idiots across the board

mick silver
26th February 2013, 07:38 AM
people will learn not to post shit like this on a goverment site . we know , all will know this