PDA

View Full Version : Currency vs Money......... V

Ponce
27th February 2013, 08:22 AM
I saw the heading for a video with the name of "Currency vs Money", I did now watch the video but did came up with my own conclusion......but.......before I give you mine I would like to know yours.

Roland
27th February 2013, 08:44 AM
As I see it currency is an agreed medium of exchange for goods and services between at least two people. sea shells, tally sticks, issued paper notes against holdings ect... that represents value ether base on faith of credit (ability to pay later) or equity in an asset
while money is a tangible store of wealth that for the most part is hard to debase and represents "work" ie the labor it takes to produce. gold, silver, some preciouse stones, private property . money works as a currency as long as trade is fair( your not going to trade the work it took to mine an oz of gold for the work it takes to dig a fence post hole).

palani
27th February 2013, 08:54 AM
currency (n.)
1650s, "condition of flowing," from Latin currens, prp. of currere "to run" (see current (adj.)); the sense of a flow or course extended 1699 (by John Locke) to "circulation of money."

money (n.)
mid-13c., "coinage, metal currency," from Old French monoie "money, coin, currency; change" (Modern French monnaie), from Latin moneta "place for coining money, mint; coined money, money, coinage," from Moneta, a title or surname of the Roman goddess Juno, in or near whose temple money was coined; perhaps from monere "advise, warn" (see monitor (n.)), with the sense of "admonishing goddess," which is sensible, but the etymology is difficult. Extended early 19c. to include paper money.

It had been justly stated by a British writer that the power to make a small piece of paper, not worth one cent, by the inscribing of a few names, to be worth a thousand dollars, was a power too high to be entrusted to the hands of mortal man. [John C. Calhoun, speech, U.S. Senate, Dec. 29, 1841]

I am not interested in money but in the things of which money is the symbol. [Henry Ford]

To make money "earn pay" is first attested mid-15c. Highwayman's threat your money or your life first attested 1841. Phrase in the money (1902) originally meant "one who finishes among the prize-winners" (in a horse race, etc.). The challenge to put (one's) money where (one's) mouth is is first recorded 1942, American English. money-grub "one who is sordidly intent on amassing money" is from 1768. The image of money burning a hole in someone's pocket is attested from 1520s.

Currency might be considered to be the bank of a river (directs the flow) while money might be considered the river itself.

Ponce
27th February 2013, 09:12 AM
Thankd Roland.......we are both in the same boat.......great minds think alike hahahaaahah.

V

Roland
27th February 2013, 09:14 AM
Thankd Roland.......we are both in the same boat.......great minds think alike hahahaaahah.

V
so rabbit pot pie for dinner it is!

madfranks
27th February 2013, 10:10 AM
Interesting thread... so how is this distinction valuable to us and how do we apply this knowledge?

Sparky
27th February 2013, 10:21 AM
I think money is halfway between currency and wealth.

Ponce
27th February 2013, 10:35 AM
Well Franks, at this time I would say that it is for the poor or those with less money but in the future it will be the key to survival, most people will put their faith in paper because that's all that they know.....those who at first will do the best will be the poor from foreign countries because that's the main way that they deal with in their every day life.

V