PDA

View Full Version : Should I jump on this offer?

Hitch
6th March 2013, 05:37 PM
My coworker offered this sale to me several months ago, I didn't take him up on it. Then, sandy hook and all happened..after all this gun grabbing talk, and prices going through the roof....he decided not to sell.

Today, he re-offered this same deal to me.

Ruger Mini 30 stainless (new in box, never been fired)
10 extra magazines
400 rounds of 7.62 x39 included.

$750.

This is extremely tempting. I know this gun is, even without the mags and ammo, going for a lot more money than this right now.

I decided to reward myself for stopping smoking with adding a gun to the collection. 7 days and still smoke free.

Any thoughts on this gun? This offer?

Shami-Amourae
6th March 2013, 05:39 PM
I'd rather have an AK-47, but its a good deal regardless. You could turn around and resell it for $1,000 with all the crap going on now I'd think.

osoab
6th March 2013, 05:45 PM
You haven't bought it yet?

Mini-30's are running 800 now.

Mags seemed to have stayed reasonable.

Dogman
6th March 2013, 05:46 PM
Do it!

Horn
6th March 2013, 05:59 PM
Just don't expect to hit anything but the broadside of a barn with it.

EE_
6th March 2013, 06:05 PM
Any chance it's the newer Tactical model?

Like these?

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/billt460/RugerMini14Tactical002.jpg

Hitch
6th March 2013, 06:19 PM
Any chance it's the newer Tactical model?

Like these?

I don't know. I do know it's in stainless, which for me, is a huge plus.

EE_
6th March 2013, 06:31 PM
More then a plus...a must! being on a boat.

Here's some info on them. If it's the heavier barrel model you are good to go and that's a smokin' deal.

Ruger made the 180 series Mini-14 from 1974-1977. They do not support this series with "warranty" work at the factory.

Ruger made the 181-186 series Mini-14 from 1978-1999. They also made the Mini-14 concurrently with the Mini-14 Ranch Rifle from 1982-1999 (and continued making the RR through 2004). Both the Mini-14 and the Mini-14 Ranch Rifle were rollmarked with 196 and 197 serial numbers during the latter years of production of the Mini-14.

Ruger started making the Mini-14 Ranch Rifle in 1982 and continued to produce it until 2004. These were rollmarked with 187 and 188 from 1982-1995. In 1996 they started rollmarking the serial numbers with 196 and 197.

In 2005 Ruger re-tooled the platform and started making the New Mini-14 Ranch Rifle, beginning the series 580 rifles.

Would this be determined by the first three digits of the serial number?

Yes.

What are the differences in each?

180: If you want to shoot the rifle, I would avoid this series as Ruger doesn't support it.

181-186 Mini-14: Thin barrel, ejector is in the bolt, no scope ring scallops cast into the receiver.

187-188 Ranch Rifle: Thin barrel, ejector in the bolt stop assembly, scope ring scallops cast into the receiver, buffer sytem using the recoil spring assembly.

195-197 Ranch Rifle: Thin barrel, ejector in the bolt stop assembly, scope ring scallops cast into the receiver, buffer sytem using the recoil spring assembly.

580 Ranch Rifle (early version): Thin barrel, ejector in the bolt stop assembly, scope ring scallops cast into the receiver, buffer sytem using the recoil spring assembly, new tooling resulting in a slightly different look to the receiver (more rounded edges, etc.)

580 Ranch Rifle (later version)-581: Thicker flanged barrel, ejector in the bolt stop assembly, scope ring scallops cast into the receiver, buffer sytem using the recoil spring assembly, new tooling resulting in a slightly different look to the receiver (more rounded edges, etc.)

Then there are different models of the 580-581 series, like the Tactical, Standard Ranch Rifle, Walnut Stock Special Edition, LEO Model, etc.

There is also a Target Version of the Mini-14, and of course Mini-30's.

There is some argument over the true meaning of GB, many agree on Government Barrel. It was a version designed for LEO's.

EE_
6th March 2013, 06:43 PM
Look here http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=330931106

Horn
6th March 2013, 06:48 PM
I don't know. I do know it's in stainless, which for me, is a huge plus.

The only thing you will achieve with a mini-30 is sinking your own boat.

EE_
6th March 2013, 06:49 PM
You didn't say what magazines come with it?
He's giving you $120 in ammo too!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=331390899

Hitch
6th March 2013, 06:51 PM
Thanks folks,

I just found out it's the all weather stainless mini...

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ruger_mini-30.htm

Horn
6th March 2013, 06:53 PM
For Sale: GOLD PLATED - Collectible - 12 ga - Near Mint Price:Make OfferSeller: Private Party Listings by this user (http://www.armslist.com/classifieds/search?relatedto=28491)
Listed On:Friday, April 02, 2010Listed In:ShotgunsLocation: Edmond, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - Map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=Edmond,%20Oklahoma%20City,%20Oklahoma)
Manufacturer: Savage Arms Caliber: 12 Gauge Firearm Type: Shotgun Flag |
Edit (http://www.armslist.com/posts/resendactivation?idpost=28491) | Favorite Up for sale is a Gold Plated SAVAGE Springfield Model 67H 12 gauge Pump Shotgun.

Looks to be in unfired condition.

A few scuffs, nothing bad, all gold plated.

Could be a factory special edition, no idea, can't find another anywhere.

It has a 17-1/2" barrel.

All cash offers considered. http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2010/04/02/28491_01_gold_plated_collectible_12_ga__640.jpg http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2010/04/02/28491_02_gold_plated_collectible_12_ga__640.jpg http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2010/04/02/28491_03_gold_plated_collectible_12_ga__640.jpg

EE_
6th March 2013, 07:06 PM
The only thing you will achieve with a mini-30 is sinking your own boat.

I love the compact size of the Mini

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLrDtJf4eUQ

Hitch
6th March 2013, 07:07 PM
OK, we made a deal. There's another buyer he had made this deal with previously. This seller is a friend and man of honor. This buyer fell through recently however..if, this buyer does not come up with the cash over this weekend, he will sell this gun to me. I will know Monday.

EE, got a link for that video by chance? I can't see videos anymore on this site. I think it's .gov after me.

EE_
6th March 2013, 07:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLrDtJf4eUQ

EE_
6th March 2013, 07:39 PM
OK, we made a deal. There's another buyer he had made this deal with previously. This seller is a friend and man of honor. This buyer fell through recently however..if, this buyer does not come up with the cash over this weekend, he will sell this gun to me. I will know Monday.

EE, got a link for that video by chance? I can't see videos anymore on this site. I think it's .gov after me.

I hope you get it for that price, NIB...that's a no brainer. Walk in any gun show with it and you'd pick up at least another $500
Ruger has a suggested retail price of $979 with a 5 round mag
http://www.ruger.com/products/miniThirty/specSheets/5806.html

Did he say what magazines come with it? Ruger? 20 round?

Hitch
6th March 2013, 07:47 PM
Did he say what magazines come with it? Ruger? 20 round?

Any magazine with more than 10 rounds is illegal in CA. I'm sure all 5 magazines have been well maintained and of the 10 round max limit.

EE_
6th March 2013, 07:58 PM
Any magazine with more than 10 rounds is illegal in CA. I'm sure all 5 magazines have been well maintained and of the 10 round max limit.

Yes, we do want to comply with the laws. wink

Horn
6th March 2013, 08:02 PM
I love the compact size of the Mini

Pretty good day at the pistol range

Hitch
6th March 2013, 08:18 PM
Yes, we do want to comply with the laws. wink

Indeed, we respect the laws while these laws are here.

I do question, from a philosophical perspective, on why I should purchase this gun. The offer is great. But why do I need this particular gun? That's the question I'm struggling with. I can't find a way to justify my need for this gun. You know, EE, I'm limited on space and weight. I like 22lr cause I can hunt if needed. Plus ammo is/was cheap and light, you can carry a lot.

Also, I've got a 45-70 for any pirates that come after me...but, I know the 7.62x39 is an excellent mid-range round. I know I should have something in the mid range for *some* reason, I just can't find a way to justify it.

Yes. anti-gun programming runs deep here in CA.

milehi
6th March 2013, 08:25 PM
But why do I need this particular gun? I can't find a way to justify my need for this gun.

Different horses for different courses.

EE_
6th March 2013, 08:35 PM
Indeed, we respect the laws while these laws are here.

I do question, from a philosophical perspective, on why I should purchase this gun. The offer is great. But why do I need this particular gun? That's the question I'm struggling with. I can't find a way to justify my need for this gun. You know, EE, I'm limited on space and weight. I like 22lr cause I can hunt if needed. Plus ammo is/was cheap and light, you can carry a lot.

Also, I've got a 45-70 for any pirates that come after me...but, I know the 7.62x39 is an excellent mid-range round. I know I should have something in the mid range for *some* reason, I just can't find a way to justify it.

Yes. anti-gun programming runs deep here in CA.

Would your co-worker friend care if you flipped it for a $500 profit? The question is, is it worth the hassle if you don't really want it. He had to pay $750 for it new, before all the BS.
I know what you're saying about storing another rifle on board. It's still your option to back out by Monday...sleep on it.
California is probably not the easiest place for private sales either.
I would have no problem here.

Hitch
6th March 2013, 08:53 PM
Would your co-worker friend care if you flipped it for a $500 profit? The question is, is it worth the hassle if you don't really want it. He had to pay $750 for it new, before all the BS.
I know what you're saying about storing another rifle on board. It's still your option to back out by Monday...sleep on it.
California is probably not the easiest place for private sales either.
I would have no problem here.

Thanks EE, I've got a few days to sleep on this, and I will.

Pros to this deal: Rifle comes with mags and 400 rounds of ammo. At a great price too. It's like an all inclusive package resort. An "I am ready" deal.

Cons: This rifle is on our scary assault weapon list. I become an assault weapon owner by buying this gun. I know it's BS. I've never had anything against the so called "assault weapons" and I'm pro gun, I just haven't felt a need to own one myself. Or rather, felt the need to own one, period.

So, I will need to make space for this rifle, stockpile ammo (more weight), and tell myself I have a reason to need it. Plus, I'm sure I'll be on some .gov goon list for even having it. Lot's to think about.

After all that, I have a gut feeling, a gut feeling....I should take the plunge and get this. To have it and not need it, is the best option. This is what I think now.

Dogman
6th March 2013, 08:59 PM
(more weight)

Ballast is good!

;D

Horn
6th March 2013, 09:11 PM
You need a gold plated 12guage shotgun, because it is gold plated. :)

Then you can saw it off and attached the remaining barrel piece to the vacuum cleaner you are so fond of.

madfranks
6th March 2013, 09:25 PM
I become an assault weapon owner by buying this gun.

The #1 reason to own an "assault rifle" is because the government doesn't want you to have one.

Horn
6th March 2013, 09:28 PM
I owned one, they are wicked little rippers in .223, only suitable for wicked womanizing men. :)

In a rifle battle you would be outclassed by almost anything else on the market,

until the target got into pistol range, then you would be reaching for your pistol because it would be a hip shot at that distance which the gun is also terrible at producing anything manageable.

An SKS would be less apt to expel burning hot shells onto your girlfriends lap at the range.

EE_
6th March 2013, 10:03 PM
I owned one, they are wicked little rippers in .223, only suitable for wicked womanizing men. :)

In a rifle battle you would be outclassed by almost anything else on the market,

until the target got into pistol range, then you would be reaching for your pistol because it would be a hip shot at that distance which the gun is also terrible at producing anything manageable.

An SKS would be less apt to expel burning hot shells onto your girlfriends lap at the range.

Come on man, aren't you getting a little carried away...hardly a pistol range gun.
Not an AR, but accurate enough. Fun to shoot too.
Definately suitable for wicked womanizing men.

Horn
6th March 2013, 10:12 PM
Come on man, aren't you getting a little carried away...hardly a pistol range gun.
Not an AR, but accurate enough. Fun to shoot too.
Definately suitable for wicked womanizing men.

You love your gun, there's no taking away something that you're used to shooting.

I threw that .223 Ruger bitch out the backdoor after she tortured me enough, maybe her barrel overheated before I met her, I dunno? :)

For the price he could walk her around the block & then trade up if need be.

The 7.62 X 39 might be better suited to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS8xrZSp74Y

Horn
6th March 2013, 10:42 PM
Get yourself an M1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjy6FRWOmhc

EE_
6th March 2013, 10:48 PM
You love your gun, there's no taking away something that you're used to shooting.

I threw that .223 Ruger bitch out the backdoor after she tortured me enough, maybe her barrel overheated before I met her, I dunno? :)

For the price he could walk her around the block & then trade up if need be.

The 7.62 X 39 might be better suited to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS8xrZSp74Y

I don't own one now...I have in the past. It was a great shooter, sorry I got rid of it.
My preference is AK's

Horn
6th March 2013, 11:05 PM
I don't own one now...I have in the past. It was a great shooter, sorry I got rid of it.
My preference is AK's

Listen, you can't be a womanizer and a hopeless romantic in the same instance.

The two just don't fit.

"The gun that earned Swedish neutrality"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=znDzDFBqpHE#!

Hitch
7th March 2013, 01:58 PM
My preference is AK's

EE, what was that model AK I shot in the desert that weekend? I remember I really liked it. That was the only AK I've ever shot.

chad
7th March 2013, 01:59 PM
buy it and sell it to me for $750.

Hitch
7th March 2013, 02:30 PM
buy it and sell it to me for $750.

I hope now I can get it. That price now seems like a win win. I know some folks don't like this rifle, and a lot of folks do. I need to find out myself. I can always sell it if I don't like it. I like Ruger guns though, so I think I'll like.

I appreciate all the advise in this thread.

Dogman
7th March 2013, 02:50 PM
I hope now I can get it. That price now seems like a win win. I know some folks don't like this rifle, and a lot of folks do. I need to find out myself. I can always sell it if I don't like it. I like Ruger guns though, so I think I'll like.

I appreciate all the advise in this thread.

I had one in the early 80's in .223 cal that was stainless and I mounted a silver weaver v-series 2 x10 scope on it to match. It was not a bad rifle at all, took it out plinking every chance I could get for a couple of years.

Blew up a shit load of turtles out of the water on the local river and stock tanks plus took home a few deer also over the time I had it.

I would still have it today if I did not get into a tight spot and needed the money to get out of it.

Edit to add: The deal is a very good one in the o/p I would jump on it like a chicken on a june bug in less than a heartbeat!

Horn
7th March 2013, 02:58 PM
I would still have it today if I did not get into a tight spot and needed the money to get out of it.

Wow, this gun really has the reputation of being the tramped other woman.

Everyone's had her, but nobody kept her.

Hitch
7th March 2013, 03:13 PM
Wow, this gun really has the reputation of being the tramped other woman.

Everyone's had her, but nobody kept her.

Well, a good gun and a good woman are both worth keeping around.

See Horn, I think this is your problem. You expect to be able to pick up a mini and shoot like an expert. Some guns, and woman, take time to get to know them, and understand them. Maybe the mini is like a woman that's a challenge, and takes effort, to get to know. You've got to learn them...free advise!

EE_
7th March 2013, 03:37 PM
I had one in the early 80's in .223 cal that was stainless and I mounted a silver weaver v-series 2 x10 scope on it to match. It was not a bad rifle at all, took it out plinking every chance I could get for a couple of years.

Blew up a shit load of turtles out of the water on the local river and stock tanks plus took home a few deer also over the time I had it.

Shame on you for killing those poor turtles...

I also had one in stainless from the early 80's, sold it during a divorce/start over. I shot very well with it...of cource my eyes were perfect then. I still wish I had it. I still miss a 1/500 Colt Custom Combat Commander I sold then too. :( and a late 70's 6" Royal blue Colt Python...trigger smooth as glass! :(

I've heard nothing but good of the newer models with heavier barrels and tighter tolarences.
Solid, You know this is a great deal, better then money in the bank. If you buy it cuz it's a great deal, don't shoot it and flip it when the time is right. If you buy it and like it, enjoy it and don't listen to the haters. People are always biased when it comes to guns. 1911 guys hate glocks, AR guys hate AK's and so on. I happen to like them all! I just like simplicity, durability, and guns that go bang every time, best! Pretty is for beauty contests.

Solid, That was an AK Hunter w/milled 386 Polytech receiver 20" barrel

Horn
7th March 2013, 03:37 PM

See Horn, I think this is your problem. You expect to be able to pick up a mini and shoot like an expert. Some guns, and woman, take time to get to know them, and understand them. Maybe the mini is like a woman that's a challenge, and takes effort, to get to know. You've got to learn them...free advise!

Oh the many ways to respond to you in this post, if you could only see me over here with this giddy grin on my mug. :)

Sell her to chad, and take one of those ugly milsurp. reviews below out to dance, you'll be a much happier man.

If you get an Ak, make sure its either milled or from Romania or those ugly parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NF5XU-k2Vk

EE_
7th March 2013, 03:40 PM

Also with guns and women, most people aren't able to handle them to the best of their potential.

Horn
7th March 2013, 04:00 PM
Also with guns and women, most people aren't able to handle them to the best of their potential.

Precisely the reason why the Ruger mini has been passed though so many hands here.

Its Maxim's theory of potentiality applied. -0

Hitch
7th March 2013, 04:12 PM
Precisely the reason why the Ruger mini has been passed though so many hands here.

Its Maxim's theory of potentiality applied. -0

Thanks Horn. I can tame and handle this mini. I embrace challenge and knowledge.

BTW, you are the next best gun salesman after Obama.

If I fail, I'll sell the gun to Chad.

Horn
7th March 2013, 04:15 PM
Thanks Horn. I can tame and handle this mini. I embrace challenge and knowledge.

BTW, you are the next best gun salesman after Obama.

If I fail, I'll sell the gun to Chad.

I can only lead a man to the true water, he dies of thirst or drinks makes no difference to me.

If you don't know any difference, I'm sure you'll be happy enough putting holes in your boat. :)

Horn
7th March 2013, 04:21 PM
Now I can start comparing my first girlfriend to the Ruger mini, the wild one. I was a cowboy...

It was only after her stripping butt naked at parties and getting picked up miles away by strange men delivering her to my doorstep in the morning that I learned.

Screw being a cowboy, it has 0 potential.

EE_
7th March 2013, 04:37 PM
I can only lead a man to the true water, he dies of thirst or drinks makes no difference to me.

If you don't know any difference, I'm sure you'll be happy enough putting holes in your boat. :)

Try buying anything you're talking about for the original price before NObama term II/Sandy Hook.
This rifle is available NIB at the pre-crazy Wally World price, with ammo and magazines.
Also consider solid lives on the water. Try keeping a blued gun from rusting in the salt air and humidity.

Horn
7th March 2013, 04:45 PM
Try buying anything you're talking about for the original price before NObama term II/Sandy Hook.
This rifle is available NIB at the pre-crazy Wally World price, with ammo and magazines.
Also consider solid lives on the water. Try keeping a blued gun from rusting in the salt air and humidity.

If the barrel isn't melted (as is a known issue) go ahead settle for the tramp.

Speaking of potential, look at this pistol, since we're talking about pistols.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxpSw3rvYCg

Hitch
7th March 2013, 05:03 PM

Maybe Horn can't keep a gun or a boat long enough to worry about rust. :)

Lot's of folks (from internet research) seem to be getting moa iron sights past 100 yards with the mini 30. Heck, show me a pistol that can do that. That's got to be twice better than my 45-70 even, which is like throwing a brick at something...

Horn
7th March 2013, 05:12 PM
There's plain reasons why they make rifles, and side arms.

Now if you weren't overloaded in your carriage as is the mini, you might be able to produce an intermediate "sub type" semi auto off the hip shooter to deliver a multiple of rounds.

Which many people buy and try to make out of it, and melt their barrels off.

Its simply not designed for what people try to put it thru. it'd be better off with .30 caliber or pistol ammo loaded to it.

Horn
7th March 2013, 05:24 PM
Maybe Horn can't keep a gun or a boat long enough to worry about rust. :)

Lot's of folks (from internet research) seem to be getting moa iron sights past 100 yards with the mini 30. Heck, show me a pistol that can do that. That's got to be twice better than my 45-70 even, which is like throwing a brick at something...

As far as stainless is concerned I'll say it won't matter as you've been known to polish things over way too much in the past.

Bwahaahah!

You said you wanted to get to know her... stainless girls get put in a box and forgot about.

My women never rust & are always ridden wet.

EE_
7th March 2013, 05:31 PM
Look ---> http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=331208739

Horn
7th March 2013, 05:34 PM
Look--->Search results for ruger mini 14 overheating (https://www.google.co.cr/search?q=ruger+mini+14+overheating&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) About 23,100 results (0.28 seconds)

I have only 99 posts left until I reach 10,000 so I'm signing off now fellas.

Good tidings to you & yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEt1cpywEJY

zap
7th March 2013, 05:51 PM
Even though I am old, I love Jet ! ( Chaotic music soothes my mind !)

Adios Horn.... wishing the best to you,

although you shoulda stuck around to see how it all turns out.

xoxo adios

Hitch
8th March 2013, 12:58 AM
You said you wanted to get to know her... stainless girls get put in a box and forgot about.

My women never rust & are always ridden wet.

Nope the stainless gals get taken out often, admired for their beauty, caressed and loved. They are cherished. While you may crawl in bed with a rusty crusty nagging attention seeking hag, some of us like wet and beautiful. :)

Cheers Horn.

BTW, this mini found a loving home, just not mine. The other guy who was offered the rifle first accepted. He's a good guy, and I'm happy for him.

Horn
8th March 2013, 10:49 AM
BTW, this mini found a loving home, just not mine. The other guy who was offered the rifle first accepted. He's a good guy, and I'm happy for him.

And a great goodness shined down from heaven down upon you due to my fillerbuster postings, you have managed to skate by that time in your life where a tramp gun was beside you. Always lying she would've been out partying with other fellas hands all over her doing better than you ever could with her.

Now on to more "standard issues" of bettering your own performance...

http://www.surplusrifle.com/

EE_
8th March 2013, 12:26 PM
And a great goodness shined down from heaven down upon you due to my fillerbuster postings, you have managed to skate by that time in your life where a tramp gun was beside you. Always lying she would've been out partying with other fellas hands all over her doing better than you ever could with her.

Now on to more "standard issues" of bettering your own performance...

http://www.surplusrifle.com/

Now that that's out of the way, let's help solid find a nice rifle.
Here's one! http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=331762925
Comes with one magazine too!

Horn
8th March 2013, 05:58 PM
Now that that's out of the way, let's help solid find a nice rifle.
Here's one! http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=331762925
Comes with one magazine too!

Think that magazine's a bit too long for Calif., No?

Nice Though!

This should suffice for anything Gilligan might find himself in, and be Kalif. emissions legal.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=331482465

He'll just need to get himself a bandolier like some Afghan rebel.

Horn
8th March 2013, 08:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4CcjM8JJq0

Horn
9th March 2013, 12:03 PM
These should be easy to recreate in Ponce's garage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUppdwQfcSk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haiqFcIXTqs

Horn
9th March 2013, 12:31 PM
Here's an Auto-loading Sniper in 8mm for you @ 2k, Gilligan.

Its good to 1000yds.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=331996474

Actually I think this one's for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ft5LDMbubM

Hitch
9th March 2013, 12:54 PM
I'll keep doing more research, I like the sks recommendation. I've also been looking into swiss k-31 carbines.

For now, I'll make do with my guide gun. She's a good gal Horn, you'd like her, she's stainless! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-AVr7gNmrU

Hitch
9th March 2013, 01:09 PM
[QUOTE=Horn;617969]Here's an Auto-loading Sniper in 8mm for you @ 2k, Gilligan.

Its good to 1000yds.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=331996474

Very cool, Horn, except if it's good out to 1000 yrds, why does it need a bayonet?

2K is a bit out of my budget, what do you think of this beauty?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=331744560

Horn
9th March 2013, 01:24 PM
For now, I'll make do with my guide gun. She's a good gal Horn, you'd like her, she's stainless! :)

That's like a Gold Gun or something, everytime you fire it you lose some Gold. :)

Well its a good thing you didn't get the Mini, because your stainless 45-70 whatever cowboy model will do anything it could do.

And I thought my choice of ammunition was a tad bit on the exotic side....that swiss thing's ammo looks even more exotic?

Here's a Russian SKS for $789, looks fairly clean wish they had a shot down the barrel like the other one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=332096337

Horn
9th March 2013, 01:29 PM
Maybe you want the Dragunov @ $965

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=331870388

Manufacturer:
TGI

Model:
FPK PSL ROMAK-3 "DRAGUNOV STYLE" AK

Caliber:
7.62x54R

Barrel Length:
24 inch

Capacity:

The bayonet is for when someone tries to sneak up behind you and steal it!

This is for $200 more than that old Tramp mini and a worldclass accuracy in difference of category it's almost mind blowing.

A jumper for sure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egQJiwwmrIw

The Dragunov sniper rifle (formally Russian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_language): Снайперская винтовка Драгунова, Snayperskaya Vintovka Dragunova (SVD), literally "Dragunov's sniper rifle") is a semi-automatic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_rifle) sniper rifle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper_rifle)/designated marksman rifle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_marksman_rifle) chambered in 7.62×54mmR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62%C3%9754mmR) and developed in the Soviet Union (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_Union).

The Dragunov was designed as a squad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squad) support weapon, since according to Soviet and Soviet-derived military doctrines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipers_of_the_Soviet_Union) the long-range engagement ability was lost to ordinary troops when submachine guns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submachine_guns) and assault rifles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifles) (which are optimized for close-range and medium-range, rapid-fire combat) were adopted. For that reason it was originally named "Полуавтоматическая винтовка Драгунова" Dragunov's Semi-automatic Rifle.
It was selected as the winner of a contest that included three competing designs: by Sergei Simonov (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Gavrilovich_Simonov), by Aleksandr Konstantinov and by Yevgeny Dragunov (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yevgeny_Dragunov). Extensive field testing of the rifles conducted in a wide range of environmental conditions resulted in Dragunov’s proposal being accepted into service in 1963. An initial pre-production batch consisting of 200 rifles was assembled for evaluation purposes, and from 1964 serial production was carried out by Izhmash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izhmash).
Since then, the Dragunov has become the standard squad support weapon of several countries, including those of the former Warsaw Pact (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Pact). Licensed production of the rifle was established in China (Type 79 and Type 85) and Iran (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran) (as a direct copy of the Chinese Type 79).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragunov_sniper_rifle

Hitch
9th March 2013, 02:38 PM
Maybe you want the Dragunov @ $965

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=331870388

Thanks Horn...I think. I was drooling over this until it read no shipments to CA. I don't know if you are trying to help...or just being mean at this point. :)

Also, the schmidt rubbin swiss k-31. A great site with tons of info. http://www.swissrifles.com/

Regarding the 7.5x55 round. There's swiss gun clubs here, that get subsidized by the Swiss gov. Yes, their gov subsidies ammo here in the US. Rounds are dirt cheap, probably 22lr normal prices.

Why can't our own gov subsidize ammo? I remember now, they want to take our guns, not help us get skilled with them.

Horn
9th March 2013, 02:48 PM
Now why aren't you allowed to have one in Kalif.? Is the barrel too long, does it have one too many "tactical" goodies?

Here's a Yugo SKS that has a long clip, @ $400 ((order without the clip then take a trip to las vegas and pick seventeen up))

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=331890553

Polystock

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=332100544

Though the original is from God...a Holy Slayer!4557

where you get the 7.5x55 that cheap?

Horn
9th March 2013, 03:10 PM
That Swiss thing is a bolt action single shot bench rest cannon, yes those are nice for slow trench attrition warfare.

I do like that stuff, but thought you were looking for an auto-loader.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ-Lcvyrifw

You may need to be a watch maker to field strip it!

Hitch
9th March 2013, 03:12 PM
where you get the 7.5x55 that cheap?

You've got to be part of the swiss gun club to get the subsidized ammo. I was told, through a 3rd party, rounds were maybe 10 cents each. Not quite 22lr prices, but pretty dang good. You can also order gp11 ammo online for around 30 cents a round. Not now though, however, but in normal times.

Also, Horn, bayonets are illegal in CA, plus any mag with more than 30 rounds. I would being buying 10 round mag and using stripper clips with an SKS.

Horn
9th March 2013, 04:44 PM
Also, Horn, bayonets are illegal in CA,

That's the silliest thing I've ever heard.

Looks like you're locked into purchasing the Carl Gustav M84 Recoilless Rifle then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-O1hQasMB0&NR=1&feature=endscreen

Horn
9th March 2013, 07:48 PM
Searched around for ya, could only find an older M18 57mm version, for $744.00

http://www.wholesaleresinweapons.com/products/57mm-m18-recoilless-rifle-part-rr027-74400

Neuro
10th March 2013, 05:14 AM
These should be easy to recreate in Ponce's garage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUppdwQfcSk

It only took 65 years for this to penetrate Pentagons wisdom...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustav_recoilless_rifle

Horn
10th March 2013, 08:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ-Lcvyrifw

You may need to be a watch maker to field strip it!

Did you notice how some of these guys using bolt actions in the videos use their 3rd finger on the trigger?

You might have to make more use of that finger in and to your Kalif. government Hitcher.

I used to travel there with fruit in my car all the time, while living in Las Vegas.

Mouse
10th March 2013, 01:55 PM
Hitcher, go to calguns.net and search for SKS. Plenty of them to be had. They are cali legal and C&R. If you get one from a C&R all you need is to show him your ID for his book. Since you cannot have more than 10 rounds anyway, SKS is the best bang for buck for a cali gun. I bought two of them when I lived there and they are still my favorites over an AK or AR.

Horn
10th March 2013, 02:13 PM
Does Oregon allow those nasty bayonets?

You could poke your eye out kid.

Horn
10th March 2013, 02:26 PM
I suggest Hitcher go to Nevada Las Vegas and get a drivers license, return in 3 months when there's a Gun show.

Then drive back across the border his car loaded down with fruit.

Horn
10th March 2013, 02:56 PM
Another look at the SVD, though she's an older model she still puts out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Noo2HNj5vM

old steel
10th March 2013, 11:08 PM
I never sold my Mini Rugers, still have them, in fact i still have every gun i ever bought.

Just can't part with a gun although i'm thinking of selling a couple of Para's and upgrading to another long gun.

Don't like the feed ramps on the Para's.