PDA

View Full Version : Britain faces growing skilled tradesmen crisis........ V

Ponce
14th March 2013, 09:11 AM
Like I posted before...... someday there will be no one to teach the old trade to the new generation.
===============================================

Britain is facing a growing shortage of tradesman following a dramatic fall in the number of plumbers and bricklayers, new research reveals today.
Figures for skilled tradesmen plummeted by seven per cent in the last year alone after being badly hit by the economic downturn and depressed housing market.
Independent businesses are dwindling and plumbers have been the worst hit, with a 25 per cent drop in numbers the last four years.

Growing crisis: The number of independent tradesmen such as plumbers, carpenters and window cleaners has fallen in recent years - with the number of bricklayers down 19% since 2009
Bricklayers are down 19 per cent, window cleaners by 18 per cent, and the number of joiners has fallen by 17 per cent in the last three years, the UK's biggest small business insurance provider Simply Business found.

Only cleaners, chimney sweeps and female-run businesses are bucking the trend, the findings from more than 300,000 small businesses show.
More...Ageing Britain: Half of our children will live to be 103 while number of over-85s will double by 2030
Life begins at 50! Older women have better sex, more exercise and feel happier than twenty-somethings, survey reveals
Row between lawyers and insurers over who's to blame for £2bn-a-year whiplash claims that push up cost of insurance by £90 per driver

Output in the construction industry has plunged to its lowest level since 2009, figures demonstrate.

And the amount we're paying tradesmen for home improvements has nosedived by 40 per cent since 2001.

Ex-bricklayer, Scott Ogden, 37, left the building trade to become a tour manager for a recording company.

Mr Ogden, who works for All Inn Records, said: 'I got into the building trade after leaving school because it was quite a well-paid job at the time.

THE TRADES DOWNING TOOLSThe percentage fall in the number of tradesmen since 2009:

Plumbers - down 25 per cent

Bricklayers - down 19 per cent

Window cleaners - down 18 per cent

Joiners - down 17 per cent

Roofers - down 11 per cent

Gardener - down nine per cent

Builders - down seven per cent

Carpenters - down seven per cent

Painter and decorators - down five per cent

Plasterers - down three per cent
.'But during the recession, everything changed. Tradesmen suffered a 40 per cent pay cut while also taking on more responsibilities.

'You always feel like a dispensable employee without any rights - you don't know whether you'll have a job from one day to the next and I would rarely work a full week.

'The situation made me realise that I wanted a job where I was respected, doing something I am really passionate about.

'I now work as a tour manager and as a Reiki healer on the side. My new career suits my personality and interests so much more than bricklaying.

'The change has transformed how I feel about working and I definitely have no regrets so far.'

Despite the dip, there's evidence that female-run businesses are on the rise, with the proportion of female-led bricklaying businesses up 16 per cent.

Window cleaning businesses run by women are up 10 per cent, building businesses by eight per cent and painter and decorator businesses up five per cent.

The cleaning trade is prospering, up by 33 per cent since 2009, as more people find the time to clean their own homes.

Chimney sweeps have also seen a revival, with a four per cent rise over the last three years, which could be thanks to the rising popularity of open fires.

Jason Stockwood, CEO of Simply Business said: 'Independent tradesmen provide a vital, often highly-skilled service to both home owners and the commercial industry.

'It is therefore worrying to see a decline in some trades over recent years, as the slow economy has hit spending on infrastructure and home improvements.

'However, there are tentative signs of recovery this year with house prices and confidence on the up.

'But with Government spending on infrastructure and housing slow to materialise, commercial construction could be in for a more drawn-out recovery.

'While there are still thousands of talented tradesmen doing a fantastic job across the country, investment is needed to ensure there is enough work to keep them all afloat.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2293096/Britain-faces-growing-skilled-tradesmen-crisis-drastic-fall-number-plumbers-bricklayers-carpenters.html

EE_
14th March 2013, 09:15 AM
....................Title edit ^

In a free market, wages would rise until demand is met
Unfortunately, "free market" is a fictitious term to only be used in fairytales.

Ponce
14th March 2013, 09:44 AM
There is no freemarket without customers so that there is no free trade or otherwise.

V

Hitch
14th March 2013, 10:38 AM
Despite the dip, there's evidence that female-run businesses are on the rise, with the proportion of female-led bricklaying businesses up 16 per cent.

How is it possible that women owned bricklaying businesses are up 16 percent, yet the actual bricklayers are down 19 percent? Unless the women are actually laying bricks themselves, which I doubt.

Mouse
14th March 2013, 11:12 AM
Translation:

There is a shortage of small businesses to pay for small business insurance premiums at my company due to the economy sucking ass. This must be caused by a shortage of skilled labor. We need more independent skilled labor to buy my insurance policies.

Twisted Titan
14th March 2013, 11:30 AM
Parasites can only get so much blood from a host.

Eventually they kill it.

What we are seeing now is death rattle.

FreeEnergy
14th March 2013, 08:10 PM
How is it possible that women owned bricklaying businesses are up 16 percent, yet the actual bricklayers are down 19 percent? Unless the women are actually laying bricks themselves, which I doubt.

Translation: people are trying to survive any way possible, so they "give" businesses to their wives. Wife and minority-owned businesses get tax breaks.

One of my competitors runs 10+ male shop, yet his minority asian wife "owns" the business.

steyr_m
15th March 2013, 02:06 PM
I think it's two things -- 1. More kids now would rather sit in front of a PC than take a hard-working trade. 2. The middle-class is voting with their feet and leaving "Great" Britain.

Neuro
15th March 2013, 02:30 PM
There are more kids than ever that study to become psychologists, designers, media and music producers, they are incessantly encouraged to become something in the limelight industry. Most have no talent for it whatsoever and would make a good living in a basic trade profession. I suspect they will become prostitutes instead...

Hitch
15th March 2013, 02:42 PM
There are more kids than ever that study to become psychologists, designers, media and music producers, they are incessantly encouraged to become something in the limelight industry. Most have no talent for it whatsoever and would make a good living in a basic trade profession. I suspect they will become prostitutes instead...

I think you are right. My career is a skilled trade. Lot's of young guys are not used to working with their hands, either that, or just plain lazy. They spend too much time dicking with their phones. They don't jump in and help, or take action, when needed. Not all of them, but a lot. Those don't last quick and we have a high turnover of folks. There's some really good ones though, mostly older guys who have diverse backgrounds in different industries.

kiffertom
15th March 2013, 06:23 PM
they need to move britain next to mexico and they would have ll the labor they needed.