PDA

View Full Version : Why Bitcoin Is Poised To Change Society Much More Than The Internet Did

Ares
4th April 2013, 09:05 AM
There is a bitcoin craze at the moment, with prices of bitcoin skyrocketing. Bitcoin is still far from ready for prime time, but as it matures, it will change society’s fundamental operations much more than the Internet did. The net, after all, only allowed people to talk and shop more efficiently. By comparison, bitcoin eradicates the government’s ability to operate.

Let’s begin by looking at what a bitcoin is. It is money. It is a new form of money that isn’t issued by a government. Governments don’t have a monopoly on coming up with things you can trade and barter with, and bitcoin is one such non-governmental barter instrument. The difference between bitcoin and all other such tokens of value that have been invented over the years is that nobody is in control of the money supply, and nobody is in control of the money flow. This means that nobody can start the printing presses to eradicate your savings, and nobody can seize or see your wealth or income. You can think of it as an open-source currency compared to proprietary, state-issued currencies.

There is no central bank. This is a revolutionary concept. People can trade cash at a distance without going through an intermediary. The first time you send the value of a cup of coffee to a friend in India on a Sunday, without any transaction fees, and they have the money instantly, without anybody but you knowing of the transaction, your jaw drops.

This would have been but a curiosity, if it weren’t for the ridiculously strong business case to cut banks and credit card processors out of the sales loop for corporations, which could roughly double the profits in retail sales. This means that there’s a very strong force for universal uptake of this new currency.

As nobody is in control of the money supply (it is set to grow predictably at a slowing rate until 2140), and demand increases with a limited supply, the price for each bitcoin increases. This is what we’re seeing now, as more and more people realize bitcoin’s business potential. Also, there is value in the concept that you don’t have to trust any single person to store or to transfer bitcoin – not your government, not your bank, not Western Union – is something completely new.

Erik Voorhees writes, “Bitcoin is thus the only currency and money system in the world which has no counter-party risk to hold and to transfer. This is absolutely revolutionary and you should read the preceding sentence again. [...] Never in the history of the world has an individual had this ability. It is unprecedented.”

So why does bitcoin have value? How is it, strictly speaking, money? People who ask this tend to be stuck in the idea that only states and governments can issue money, but that’s not the case. What we see as money has changed many times, and when Marco Polo came back to Europe from China in the 13th century, people were mocking him for bringing home banknotes. “This is not money”, they would say, and burn the Chinese banknotes. Money was coins. If you dismiss bitcoin just because you’re not used to seeing sequences of rare prime numbers as money, make sure you’re not scoffing at banknotes as people were in the 13th century. If people use it as money to trade, it’s money.

Jon Matonis has an excellent piece over at Forbes where he challenges the notion that money must be state-issued, and explains that a transactional currency can compete on its own merits and its own market.

It is important to realize that while the Internet has changed life in the IT industry tremendously, from a government standpoint, the net hasn’t changed much at all. If anything, it has reinforced existing structures: consumers spend their state-issued money more efficiently, credit is borrowed more and better from state-regulated banks which expands the money supply and keeps people happy, and it has created new industries that can fuel the economy. Oh, and it also lets citizens submit governmental forms more efficiently.

The only flip side to the net, from a government angle, would be that some people use the Internet to violate state-issued monopolies on entertainment distribution, which has been seen as a problem that needs to be dealt with swiftly and harshly, but other than that, the internet really isn’t much new from a government standpoint. Think about that the next time you see a politician who doesn’t appear to get the net: for them, if they’ve been in government too long, there is nothing much to get.

So we essentially have four different types of players that keep the economy going, and by extension, the government funded and operational. One, there is the government itself, which issues money and regulates banks. (For this exercise, I include the central bank in “government”.) Two, there are commercial banks which are in complete control of the money flow, in exchange for sharing that insight with the government and letting it siphon off as much as it likes to operate itself. Also, commercial banks expand the money supply when people ask for credit, so credit is good as the economy is measured today (“growth”). At the bottom of the food chain are, three, corporations which are tasked with using this system, running all its operations through these banks, and four, the ordinary citizen, who is supposed to be doing actual work and actually produce something that fuels the entire ecosystem.

What bitcoin does is cut the banks out of the loop, and by extension, the government’s ability to operate.

Those wars you have seen on TV? They are all fueled by this mechanism – the ability for banks to keep people happy in letting them spend imaginary money, while simultaneously giving the nation-state the ability to control as much of the money flow as it likes (and siphon as much as it likes off for itself).

Now, bitcoin isn’t going to drive its adoption just because it is impervious to state control and insight. Rather, its adoption is going to be driven by the strong business case for corporations to cut banks out of the loop – more specifically, cut bank profits out of their own profits.

The normal reaction for a government would be to use its entire arsenal of force against any phenomenon that threatens the government’s ability to function to this degree. But bitcoin is resilient to that. There is no central point to shut down. You can’t point a gun at a prime number and expect things to change. And we all know how effective governmental attempts to shut down peer-to-peer networks have been (even if it has been a low-priority issue so far that they haven’t really cared about).

A while back, I wrote that bitcoin is “The Napster of banking”. Perhaps there is a better analogy – perhaps it is the Skynet of banking. There is no central mainframe to shut down, and the intelligence in bitcoin is completely distributed with the single goal of obsoleting central banking.

In this regard, people at Business Insider who compare the bitcoin trade and its current price spike with the bubble around Beanie Babies in the early century come across as dangerously shortsighted and ignorant. Bitcoin is not a plush toy, it is not a commodity. It is an economic agreement, and as such, has value like any other contract that improves your business. This particular contract improves every business except banks.

So is bitcoin ready to take over the world? Far from it.

There are many problems with bitcoin today, but they are becoming less severe than the problems that plagued it one, two, and three years ago. In short, we’re seeing kinks being worked out, scratches being polished, and dents being straightened. But there are many reasons why bitcoin couldn’t take the place of state-issued money today, even if it is on a strong trajectory to do so in the next decade or decades.

The liquidity to state-issued money is one thing that strikes me immediately. In any economy, you need bridges between payment systems that are in use. Today, the vast majority of such bridging is handled by a Japanese bitcoin exchange known as MtGox. This is an unacceptable single point of failure in an ecosystem (proven by two hours of outage today). Further, lags of 10 minutes are common with MtGox’s trading engine (I’m seeing 400 seconds of lag right as I type this), which is just ridiculous when the financial world at large is dealing with micro- and nanosecond trading.

Bitcoin is getting there. But it’s not there yet. When it gets there, expect governments to panic and society to be reshaped into something where governments cannot rely on taxing income nor wealth for running their operations.

That is a bigger change to society’s fundamental structure than the ability to seek and share culture and knowledge we got with the net.

http://falkvinge.net/2013/04/03/why-bitcoin-is-poised-to-change-society-much-more-than-the-internet-did/

Shami-Amourae
4th April 2013, 09:15 AM
...Wait till 3D printing takes off.

I'm telling you, this is how we defeat the bankers. This is how we stop government. This is how we liberate humanity.

Ares
4th April 2013, 09:19 AM
...Wait till 3D printing takes off.

I'm telling you, this is how we defeat the bankers. This is how we stop government. This is who we liberate humanity.

That is another thing I am definitely keeping an eye on. If they can get it to "print" objects that aren't just plastic and resin society as a whole will change drastically.

Shami-Amourae
4th April 2013, 09:33 AM
The N/Jew World Order has a specific plan to enslave humanity. All of these things come out of the blue and the N/Jew World Order doesn't know what to make of them. This is the ONLY way we can resist, and WIN. These dinosaurs don't deserve the power they have. They don't know how to wield it. They are useless eater parasites.

Imagine someone printed up a drone and fly it in anonymously into a Bilderberg conference and shooting the place up and then setting the fuckers on fire. They do it to us. It's time the tables were turned.

Technology, not voting is how you overthrow an tyrannical oligarchy.

steyr_m
4th April 2013, 09:35 AM
That is another thing I am definitely keeping an eye on. If they can get it to "print" objects that aren't just plastic and resin society as a whole will change drastically.

Yeah, and what I like is that it will make gun control a mute point. All the serfs/slaves have to do is print off a gun. Ammo is an issue though.....

Shami-Amourae
4th April 2013, 09:38 AM
Ammo is an issue though.....

Yeah I do see that as an issue for now too. I think it's one of the greatest investments you can make.

Twisted Titan
4th April 2013, 10:07 AM
I would assume the resin would be a physical lynchpin.

Who makes the resin.
How many can produce it
How is it delivered

madfranks
4th April 2013, 10:43 AM
For less than $150 you can be a part of the boldest monetary experiment in human history.

Ponce
4th April 2013, 10:50 AM
Well guys, they are allready doing it with metal...........about bitcoins, in order for it to become really popular everyone shold be able to use it, as you know only X ammount of them were made so that they need more of them available, how will this happen?.......if they make more that will defeat the purpose of them being made in the first place.......all the they can do is to split the ones now out theer and then print more based on how many were split in the first place.........need more after that?.....simple, split them again and again and again.

Only silver and gold can hold it's true value as is........

V

madfranks
4th April 2013, 11:29 AM
Well guys, they are allready doing it with metal...........about bitcoins, in order for it to become really popular everyone shold be able to use it, as you know only X ammount of them were made so that they need more of them available, how will this happen?.......if they make more that will defeat the purpose of them being made in the first place.......all the they can do is to split the ones now out theer and then print more based on how many were split in the first place.........need more after that?.....simple, split them again and again and again.

V

Bitcoins can be divided just as easy or easier than gold and silver. Back after gold was decriminalized, there was a time when an ounce of gold sold for ~$150. Now 1/10 oz sells for ~$150. If something gets more valuable, you need less of it to match the previous purchasing power. 1.0 bitcoins used to be ~$15, now 0.10 bitcoins is worth ~$15. See how it's the same thing? If the value of bitcoins keeps going up, then it will be the 0.01 that's worth $15, and on and on.

sirgonzo420
4th April 2013, 11:29 AM

V

Bitcoins are can be divided out to the 8th decimal place. Like 0.00000001 BTC.

This means that with 21 million base units, Bitcoin has more usable units than the USD.

sirgonzo420
4th April 2013, 11:32 AM
For less than $150 you can be a part of the boldest monetary experiment in human history.

Exactly.

This is why GSUSers should consider it.

There may come a day where having a whole bitcoin is a huuuuuge deal.

Carl
4th April 2013, 11:39 AM
And what will the millions of people who have no access to the internet be using for currency?

Bitcoin is about the most idiotic "something for nothing" craze to come along since computerized banking.

Ponce
4th April 2013, 12:08 PM
You can "divide" bitcoins by making more of them but there is only so much silver and gold, like the dollar, bitcoin can reach all the way to Mars but silver or gold can reach only the moon.

When I said "divide" I really meant to say "split" like with a stock.

V

Ares
4th April 2013, 12:08 PM
And what will the millions of people who have no access to the internet be using for currency?

Bitcoin is about the most idiotic "something for nothing" craze to come along since computerized banking.

With that analogy go take a FRN to someone who is indigenous to the Amazon Rain forest. Let me know how that works out if you're wanting to purchase his food stuffs.
Now take gold, silver, or other means of barter. You might have better luck than handing him a worthless piece of cotton with green ink.

There will ALWAYS be a means for an exchange to happen. Don't dismiss a crypto currency because you cannot hold on to it. You can hold on to a FRN but does it have any real value?

madfranks
4th April 2013, 12:20 PM
Exactly.

This is why GSUSers should consider it.

There may come a day where having a whole bitcoin is a huuuuuge deal.

Back when the "bitcoin is nearing silver spot" thread started, I've been monitoring ebay in attempts to snipe cheap bitcoins in auctions. At that time the preferred unit was 1.0 BTC. There were more auctions for 1 bitcoin than 0.5, 0.25, 0.1, etc. Now, browse ebay and the preferred, "standard" unit is 0.1 BTC. There are currently more auctions for 0.1 BTC than there are for 1 whole coin. If bitcoins continue to gain value, I expect the preferred, standard unit to move to 0.01 BTC, then 0.001, etc. Imagine a time years from now, where 0.000001 BTC is the standard, most-used denomination. At that time, having a whole bitcoin will be a HUUUUUUGE deal, because you'll have 1,000,000 standard units.

madfranks
4th April 2013, 12:22 PM

Good thing you never have to use one then. This is a true free market, voluntary currency. It's perfectly fine that you don't like them, nobody's going to demand you use them or ever transact in them. You can't say that about government money though, can you?

joboo
4th April 2013, 01:47 PM

Everyone and their dog is walking around staring into a computer 24/7 now when they are not working at one, or at home using one.

Perhaps not that far fetched afterall..

Carl
4th April 2013, 02:41 PM
Good thing you never have to use one then. This is a true free market, voluntary currency. It's perfectly fine that you don't like them, nobody's going to demand you use them or ever transact in them. You can't say that about government money though, can you? Yes, actually you can, because if you couldn't, bitcoin wouldn't exist.

Most poor people are old school, they believe as Ponce says "if you don't hold it, you don't own it" and your life is the property of who does.

Ponce
4th April 2013, 02:50 PM
Yout guys play with your bitcoins and I'll play with my silver......let's see who will last the longest.

V

sirgonzo420
4th April 2013, 02:55 PM
Yout guys play with your bitcoins and I'll play with my silver......let's see who will last the longest.

V

Some are playing with bitcoins and using them to buy many times more in silver than they paid for the bitcoins.

Carl
4th April 2013, 02:58 PM
Some are playing with bitcoins and using them to buy many times more in silver than they paid for the bitcoins.

Who is accepting bitcoins for their silver?

sirgonzo420
4th April 2013, 03:01 PM

http://www.bitcoincommodities.com/

the motto for the above site is: "Turn The Best Digital Money into the Best Physical Money!"

http://www.amagimetals.com

those are just a couple off the top of my head.

Hitch
4th April 2013, 03:02 PM

Nobody smart. But, it seems you can convert bitcoin into dollars. Then trade your dollars for silver coin. That's what I'd do, if I owned any bitcoins. I'd do it right now, in fact. :)

sirgonzo420
4th April 2013, 03:05 PM
Nobody smart. But, it seems you can convert bitcoin into dollars. Then trade your dollars for silver coin. That's what I'd do, if I owned any bitcoins. I'd do it right now, in fact. :)

If someone sold a single ounce of silver to a bitcoin holder in 2009-2010, and kept the bitcoins until now, they could have thousands times more silver.

Hitch
4th April 2013, 03:13 PM
If someone sold a single ounce of silver to a bitcoin holder in 2009-2010, and kept the bitcoins until now, they could have thousands times more silver.

I wish I had done that. :)

I meant now, if I owned bitcoins, right now, I'd convert them to silver right now. I don't see how bitcoin is NOT going to crash. It's a pump and dump. My two bits.

sirgonzo420
4th April 2013, 03:34 PM

I meant now, if I owned bitcoins, right now, I'd convert them to silver right now. I don't see how bitcoin is NOT going to crash. It's a pump and dump. My two bits.

Sure. A lot of people have been cashing out to silver/gold on the way up.

I still feel that it is plenty worthwhile to hang on to some bitcoin and see where it is 5 years from now.

Hitch
4th April 2013, 03:44 PM
I still feel that it is plenty worthwhile to hang on to some bitcoin and see where it is 5 years from now.

I don't know sirgonzo, the way bitcoin has shot up in price. There's going to be winners, and a lot of losers. If bitcoin has a dramatic downturn, folks might flee from it.

I do think, on a positive note, that this should be showing the world. We want a sound money system, that's not corrupted, a free way of trading and a way of saving for the future.

I don't think bitcoin is it. Many cheers to the folks here who have benefited from it. It doesn't seem like anything I'd add to my diversity. I hope I'm completely wrong, but will stop at having a bitcoin chip imbedded in my head. This is why we have guns, so tech folks can't plant chips in us.

madfranks
4th April 2013, 03:44 PM

It's going to crash in a few weeks when the new generation of mining rigs are released. It'll be like hitting a solid gold vein in the hillside. The market will be flooded with new coins.

But I agree with gonzo, in 5 years there is lots of upward potential.

Hitch
4th April 2013, 03:52 PM
It's going to crash in a few weeks when the new generation of mining rigs are released. It'll be like hitting a solid gold vein in the hillside. The market will be flooded with new coins.

Madfranks, I do find this bitcoin thing fascinating. I will happily sit on the sidelines and watch. I have a question, what happens when all the bitcoins are mined? Ares mentioned that. It goes back to a question I had. Deflation is a killer of currencies. Once the last bitcoin is mined, are not people going to just hoard it? And if so, what is beneficial to hoarding something completely digital and 'conjured' up in our computers?

joboo
4th April 2013, 04:08 PM
I think the draw right now is being able to easily store and transport X amount of $ anywhere you travel easily, and away from the banks, customs, etc...

Thumb drive, CD/DVD's...put em on your phone, Ipod, camera....or upload online in a password protected zip file, then access from wherever with minimal hassle.

When a Cyprus style bank theft happens in another country (and it will), watch the interest continue to peak.

Santa
4th April 2013, 04:56 PM
I wonder what this technology will do to the value of Bitcoin mining?
I wonder who might be able to afford this new technology?
Who are always the drivers of major technological advancements? Yes, I'm being facetious here.
Maybe this article is propaganda, I don't know, but if the MIC is about to upgrade this quantum technology to commercial scale, it probably means they already have it, and that means they could already have the computing power sufficient to mine all the bitcoins they want any time they want. No?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/03/22/technology/testing-a-new-class-of-speedy-computer.xml

Lockheed Martin Harnesses Quantum Technology
Lockheed Martin bought a version of D-Wave's quantum computer and plans to upgrade it to commercial scale.

Kim Stallknecht for The New York Times

Lockheed Martin bought a version of D-Wave's quantum computer and plans to upgrade it to commercial scale.

2 more images
By QUENTIN HARDY

Published: March 22, 2013

Correction Appended

VANCOUVER, British Columbia - Our digital age is all about bits, those precise ones and zeros that are the stuff of modern computer code.

But a powerful new type of computer that is about to be commercially deployed by a major American military contractor is taking computing into the strange, subatomic realm of quantum mechanics. In that infinitesimal neighborhood, common sense logic no longer seems to apply. A one can be a one, or it can be a one and a zero and everything in between - all at the same time.

It sounds preposterous, particularly to those familiar with the yes/no world of conventional computing. But academic researchers and scientists at companies like Microsoft, I.B.M. and Hewlett-Packard have been working to develop quantum computers.

Now, Lockheed Martin - which bought an early version of such a computer from the Canadian company D-Wave Systems two years ago - is confident enough in the technology to upgrade it to commercial scale, becoming the first company to use quantum computing as part of its business.

Skeptics say that D-Wave has yet to prove to outside scientists that it has solved the myriad challenges involved in quantum computation.

But if it performs as Lockheed and D-Wave expect, the design could be used to supercharge even the most powerful systems, solving some science and business problems millions of times faster than can be done today.

Ray Johnson, Lockheed's chief technical officer, said his company would use the quantum computer to create and test complex radar, space and aircraft systems. It could be possible, for example, to tell instantly how the millions of lines of software running a network of satellites would react to a solar burst or a pulse from a nuclear explosion - something that can now take weeks, if ever, to determine.

"This is a revolution not unlike the early days of computing," he said. "It is a transformation in the way computers are thought about." Many others could find applications for D-Wave's computers. Cancer researchers see a potential to move rapidly through vast amounts of genetic data. The technology could also be used to determine the behavior of proteins encoded by the human genome, a bigger and tougher problem than sequencing the genome. Researchers at Google have worked with D-Wave on using quantum computers to recognize cars and landmarks, a critical step in managing self-driving vehicles.

Quantum computing is so much faster than traditional computing because of the unusual properties of particles at the smallest level. Instead of the precision of ones and zeros that have been used to represent data since the earliest days of computers, quantum computing relies on the fact that subatomic particles inhabit a range of states. Different relationships among the particles may coexist, as well. Those probable states can be narrowed to determine an optimal outcome among a near-infinitude of possibilities, which allows certain types of problems to be solved rapidly.

D-Wave, a 12-year-old company based in Vancouver, has received investments from Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon.com, which operates one of the world's largest computer systems, as well as from the investment bank Goldman Sachs and from In-Q-Tel, an investment firm with close ties to the Central Intelligence Agency and other government agencies.

"What we're doing is a parallel development to the kind of computing we've had for the past 70 years," said Vern Brownell, D-Wave's chief executive.

Mr. Brownell, who joined D-Wave in 2009, was until 2000 the chief technical officer at Goldman Sachs. "In those days, we had 50,000 servers just doing simulations" to figure out trading strategies, he said. "I'm sure there is a lot more than that now, but we'll be able to do that with one machine, for far less money."

D-Wave, and the broader vision of quantum-supercharged computing, is not without its critics. Much of the criticism stems from D-Wave's own claims in 2007, later withdrawn, that it would produce a commercial quantum computer within a year.

"There's no reason quantum computing shouldn't be possible, but people talked about heavier-than-air flight for a long time before the Wright brothers solved the problem," said Scott Aaronson, a professor of computer science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. D-Wave, he said, "has said things in the past that were just ridiculous, things that give you very little confidence."

But others say people working in quantum computing are generally optimistic about breakthroughs to come. Quantum researchers "are taking a step out of the theoretical domain and into the applied," said Peter Lee, the head of Microsoft's research arm, which has a team in Santa Barbara, Calif., pursuing its own quantum work. "There is a sense among top researchers that we're all in a race."

If Microsoft's work pans out, he said, the millions of possible combinations of the proteins in a human gene could be worked out "fairly easily."

Quantum computing has been a goal of researchers for more than three decades, but it has proved remarkably difficult to achieve. The idea has been to exploit a property of matter in a quantum state known as superposition, which makes it possible for the basic elements of a quantum computer, known as qubits, to hold a vast array of values simultaneously.

There are a variety of ways scientists create the conditions needed to achieve superposition as well as a second quantum state known as entanglement, which are both necessary for quantum computing. Researchers have suspended ions in magnetic fields, trapped photons or manipulated phosphorus atoms in silicon.

The D-Wave computer that Lockheed has bought uses a different mathematical approach than competing efforts. In the D-Wave system, a quantum computing processor, made from a lattice of tiny superconducting wires, is chilled close to absolute zero. It is then programmed by loading a set of mathematical equations into the lattice.

The processor then moves through a near-infinity of possibilities to determine the lowest energy required to form those relationships. That state, seen as the optimal outcome, is the answer.

The approach, which is known as adiabatic quantum computing, has been shown to have promise in applications like calculating protein folding, and D-Wave's designers said it could potentially be used to evaluate complicated financial strategies or vast logistics problems.

However, the company's scientists have not yet published scientific data showing that the system computes faster than today's conventional binary computers. While similar subatomic properties are used by plants to turn sunlight into photosynthetic energy in a few million-billionths of a second, critics of D-Wave's method say it is not quantum computing at all, but a form of standard thermal behavior.

John Markoff contributed reporting from San Francisco.

Correction: March 27, 2013, Wednesday

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction: An article on Friday about advances in the development of quantum computing technology described incorrectly the potential use of the technology in assessing the human genome. Cancer researchers believe the technology could be used to determine the behavior of proteins encoded by the human genome, not proteins in the human genome. (The human genome itself contains no proteins.)

sirgonzo420
4th April 2013, 05:43 PM
I wonder what this technology will do to the value of Bitcoin mining?
I wonder who might be able to afford this new technology?
Who are always the drivers of major technological advancements? Yes, I'm being facetious here.
Maybe this article is propaganda, I don't know, but if the MIC is about to upgrade this quantum technology to commercial scale, it probably means they already have it, and that means they could already have the computing power sufficient to mine all the bitcoins they want any time they want. No?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/03/22/technology/testing-a-new-class-of-speedy-computer.xml

Only 25 BTC are created approximately every ten minutes. This is set in the code. This will halve at some point in the future, as it did in the past (the reward used to be 50 BTC).

By the time all the bitcoins are mined, which is sometime after the year 2100, transaction fees will be what "pays" miners.

Again, I don't advise putting more than "play" money into bitcoins. If it all comes crashing down, or whatever, then you will only have lost your original buy-in cost. If Bitcoin *doesn't* collapse, then people might want to have some... the upshot reward could be unthinkable.

Half Sense
4th April 2013, 05:49 PM

Yep. Machines to print houses. Clear a lot and hire the concrete printer to spend 4-5 days creating the custom house you designed. Any combination of shape and color is available, including the sports team logo of your choice poured into the driveway, doorways, walls, and flooring. This tends to split the market when you go to sell, unless you live in West Virginia or Arkansas which only have the 1 college team and no NFL action.