PDA

View Full Version : Unintended consequence of new Colorado gun laws?

madfranks
10th April 2013, 12:26 PM
I just heard this on the local talk radio, and I think the man made a good point! Regarding the "large capacity" magazine ban, according to the law (http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0198.htm):

"A person may possess a large-capacity magazine if he or she (1) owns the magazine on July 1, 2013 and (2) maintains continuous possession of the magazine."

The "continuous possession" clause made a lot of people upset because it meant that folks can't let their friend use their gun at the range, and it criminalizes family members who would use the weapon for self-defense. The weapon must remain in continuous possession of the owner. So if you get pulled over and the cops want to disarm you, you have legal grounds to maintain possession of your weapon. You can tell the police that it is against the law for you to give up continuous possession of your firearm.

Will it work? Probably not, but I thought it was a good point. The law is bullshit, anyways.

chad
10th April 2013, 02:11 PM
here's what will happen. the cops will take your weapon by force just so they can charge you with an extra felony.

madfranks
10th April 2013, 02:16 PM
here's what will happen. the cops will take your weapon by force just so they can charge you with an extra felony.

Yeah, I know. It's all bullshit, and it's depressing to think about.

Twisted Titan
10th April 2013, 02:41 PM
When The Moment of Truth comes

Do WHATEVER it takes to make it through.

The rest will take care of it self.

Laws be dammed.

horseshoe3
10th April 2013, 05:52 PM
Depends how "possession" ends up being interpreted. "Ownership" comes before "having in one's control" in the dictionary. So if you maintain ownership, you could loan it out and not break the law. If they choose to claim it means having it in your control, it would get really sticky. If you own something, even if you loan it out, you still have a measure of control. You may not have immediate physical control, but you have a right to demand that it comes back under your immediate physical control, and that is control. If you put it in a safe and leave the room do you give up possession? Does the safe have possession? No, you still have possession because you own it and can put it back under your control at will.