PDA

View Full Version : i knew it! wpr is talking about "reloading suplies" and "black powder pyrodex"

chad
16th April 2013, 06:56 AM
guests discussing how the marathon bombs were probably made with black powder reloading supplies or pyrodex (as if they know what pyrodex is). natural solution is that the public shouldn't be allowed to buy gun powder over the counter and that pyrodex pellets should be registered and limited sales.

alright black powder people, the run is on.

Twisted Titan
16th April 2013, 07:13 AM
Well didnt powder and primers dry up with ammo a good while ago??

or this might be the push for legislation??

Kinda like after OCB with Macveigh the changed the protocol for how a person can rent a truck

chad
16th April 2013, 07:15 AM
you can still buy boxes of pyrodex pellets about anywhere. for about another 3 or 4 hours or so.

Norweger
16th April 2013, 08:07 AM
Just imagine that it was a big bomb that went off and that it was originally designed to be dropped from an airplane on a village in Afghanistan. Would the same mongoloids then start saying that we must stop the war?

palani
16th April 2013, 01:49 PM
NPR mentioned that they had figured out the explosive had been 'cooked' in a pressure cooker to make it yield more (is yield the right word? don't know ... I am not an expert in these things) and that the pressure cooker thing was a European refinement.

vacuum
16th April 2013, 06:15 PM
You win chad:

Low power explosives like black powder and smokeless powder - the most likely ones used in Boston - blow up at a slower rate and only deliver the big boom if they are confined and the pressure from the gas and explosion builds up, said Denny Kline, a former FBI explosives expert and instructor in forensics at its academy.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_BOSTON_MARATHON_EXPLOSIVES?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-04-16-12-13-07

Jewboo
16th April 2013, 06:25 PM
NPR mentioned that they had figured out the explosive had been 'cooked' in a pressure cooker to make it yield more

http://media2.woodtv.com//photo/2009/08/06/generic-pipe-bomb-AP-file_20090806131211_640_480.JPG

Common threaded pipe will do the same thing.

Cebu_4_2
16th April 2013, 06:33 PM
Common threaded pipe will do the same thing.

Not if it's PVC.

sirgonzo420
16th April 2013, 06:42 PM
Not if it's PVC.

No, but black iron pipe would probably do.

I've never made one, though, so I can't speak definitively.

Hitch
16th April 2013, 06:49 PM
Are they going to try and ban pressure cookers now?

Cebu_4_2
16th April 2013, 06:50 PM
No, but black iron pipe would probably do.

I've never made one, though, so I can't speak definitively.

Good point, I don't think they can ban black pipe yet, but you may need to have a license and restrictions before heading off to the Home Depot.

vacuum
16th April 2013, 07:03 PM
A pressure cooker can have a much larger volume than a pipe, so it can hold more explosives.

Cebu_4_2
16th April 2013, 07:09 PM
A pressure cooker can have a much larger volume than a pipe, so it can hold more explosives.

But much less pressure.

vacuum
16th April 2013, 07:19 PM
But much less pressure.

True, but I think there are two effects we're talking about here. One is the shrapnel effect, where the idea is to compress the explosive to the maximum amount until shrapnel at super high speed explodes everywhere.

But the other reason, which it seems like is happening here, is to take a weak explosive, such as black, powder, and increase the chemical reaction rate of the explosion through additional pressure. I think the pressure cooker is so much to create something like a grenade, but rather to get the black powder to explode under pressure to drive the explosion to be more powerful.

This is all speculation though, since I don't have any experience with this type of thing. If anyone who does know, I'd be interested to hear if this is correct or not.

midnight rambler
16th April 2013, 07:36 PM
This is all speculation though, since I don't have any experience with this type of thing. If anyone who does know, I'd be interested to hear if this is correct or not.

In a former life I hung out with some folks who were 'licensed' to have and work with explosives. It's a fact that if you confine a (relatively) low velocity charge under pressure when detonated (i.e. build pressure before the ultimate boom) its effect is dramatically increased. A bullet does the very same thing, builds pressure and explodes propelling the projectile violently down the barrel. Had it had not been detonated in a pressure vessel the results there would have been much less carnage. Without being under pressure blackpowder or smokeless will just burn intensely.

Also, there's a difference in velocity between black powder and smokeless, as there is in all things that go boom

midnight rambler
16th April 2013, 07:59 PM
Interesting things about things that go boom -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_explosive_detonation_velocities

vacuum
16th April 2013, 08:14 PM
I know black powder is more like a fuel that burns very fast than an oxidation explosive which has the oxygen built in. I don't belive black powder can be ignited if there is no air, whereas an oxidated explosive can.

Therefore, I didn't think it was possible to build a bomb like this with black powder.

Agrippa
17th April 2013, 02:39 AM
Back before the Internet, a dumb kid might have made a bomb like this, as the expertise to make better explosives was difficult to come by. Today any kid who wanted to build a bomb would laugh at this effort.

I'm guessing that the whole point of it was to draw attention to the availability of the components from which the bomb was made.

Twisted Titan
17th April 2013, 04:28 AM
Abosolutely spot analysis Agrippa

And they will find a way to link a bomb to guns.