PDA

View Full Version : Cow Anatomy Question - What Organ looks like Heart, Tastes like Liver ?

gunDriller
23rd April 2013, 01:26 PM
I just finished thawing out the next-to-final chunk of Mama Cow.

I thought I had already eaten the heart.

The liver went into a separate bucket.

It's definitely not the lungs.

It tastes LITTLE bit like liver, but when I ate some slices from the liver before, they had a very gamey taste.

This has a very faint liver taste.

It has a white membrane covering most of it. weighs about 10 pounds.

It is NOT the gonads.

The final chunk of Mama Cow - the tongue.

Maybe I'll thaw the tongue, and let the hearty-livery Unidentified Frying Object marinate for a few days.

It sure has been an anatomy lesson, eating this cow.

ximmy
23rd April 2013, 10:37 PM
Did you eat any of the sacred parts?

http://www.bhagavad-gita.org/Images/cow-gomatha_vishnu.gif

gunDriller
25th April 2013, 01:45 PM
Did you eat any of the sacred parts?

with Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce !

i took pictures. however, i am eating lunch, including a few slices of the unknown organ.

will do the Photoshopping & FTP'ing later.

Neuro
25th April 2013, 03:08 PM
Sounds like the heart to me, it has a slight taste of liver... Does it have chambers/cavities?

gunDriller
26th April 2013, 01:09 PM
Sounds like the heart to me, it has a slight taste of liver... Does it have chambers/cavities?

yes. finally got some pics -

http://s403998394.onlinehome.us/DSCN7230-cow.jpg

http://s403998394.onlinehome.us/DSCN7231-cow.jpg

i thought i already ate the heart. it was good. i was going to give it to the chickens, then realized it was a prime cut & kept most of it for people food. about 9 months ago.

but, this organ looks like a heart.

so then the question is - what organ was the other organ ?

in terms of taste, this one has a little bit of liver taste. in terms of texture, it's very lean. this one more closely matches cow-heart pictures that i see on the Internet.

since it doesn't taste very good, i only eat a little at a time.

i might have to butcher another cow to figure this out.

i'm looking forward to finishing Cow #1 and BUYING SOME PRIME RIB ! ... at the store like normal people :)

ImaCannin
2nd June 2013, 09:22 PM
That is the heart. You may have eaten the anus, I hear it taste like liver. :)sal

gunDriller
4th June 2013, 06:41 AM
That is the heart. You may have eaten the anus, I hear it taste like liver. :)sal

oh, so that's what that mushy brown stuff was. knew i should have washed it better. :)

actually, the other organ tasted like a very lean but prime cut.

but the heart - cuts from what is in the pic - tastes a little like liver.

but i went and bought 10 pounds of Great Value chicken quarters for $7.60.

and my pet chickens will be getting most of what is left of Mama Cow 2012 Vintage.

Santa
4th June 2013, 07:00 AM
Maybe the cow died with a cancerous Prostate. :)

gunDriller
4th June 2013, 07:09 AM

well, i can't blame you for not knowing the whole history of Mama Cow.

but i'm not sure if female cows have prostate's. my purely offhand, un-professional judgment is that they probably do not.

has anyone here eaten any sausage lately ?

actually, the cow died from a prolapsed uterus. when it delivered a calf, the uterus stuck to the calf, and was pulled out of the cow - inside out. massive blood loss. the calf lived. Mama Cow died, i bought it for $50.

which leaves me to ruminate - in a slaughterhouse, what do they do with prolapsed uterus' ? i think most cow intestines are thrown away, because they are often full of half-digested grass that is on its way to being manure. i got to deal with about 200 pounds of that when i butchered the beast.

but i got to thinking - everything i left behind, would not be left behind in a slaughterhouse.

it would be used to make sausage.

ximmy
4th June 2013, 05:52 PM

or a mutation, he ate a mutated appendage. eek!

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/TheJake1277/da7368bb.jpg

Santa
4th June 2013, 07:31 PM
actually, the cow died from a prolapsed uterus. when it delivered a calf, the uterus stuck to the calf, and was pulled out of the cow - inside out. massive blood loss. the calf lived. Mama Cow died, i bought it for $50.

Mmmm... Maybe that's the prolapsed uterus then. Spice it up like sausage and I'm sure it'll taste every bit as wonderful as an enlarged prostate.

By the way, I didn't know females are without prostates.
I just figured they have kinder more compassionate prostates than men have.

Upon further study, I discovered females do have prostates.

"Women do have prostates. However, the prostate in women is typically underdeveloped and sometimes non-functional. It is known as the Skene's gland."

I guess it's true that a rose is still a rose by any other name. :)

gunDriller
5th June 2013, 01:07 PM
or a mutation, he ate a mutated appendage. eek!

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/TheJake1277/da7368bb.jpg

i wouldn't eat Kuato.

but i might let my chickens sniff him.

and i think i'll pass on the Prolapse Country Western Omelette. :)

Neuro
5th June 2013, 02:07 PM
Mmmm... Maybe that's the prolapsed uterus then. Spice it up like sausage and I'm sure it'll taste every bit as wonderful as an enlarged prostate.

By the way, I didn't know females are without prostates.
I just figured they have kinder more compassionate prostates than men have.

Upon further study, I discovered females do have prostates.

I guess it's true that a rose is still a rose by any other name. :)
Advanced anatomy that. I didn't know that females had prostates, albeit underdeveloped and with a different name! Skene's gland!

Tumbleweed
5th June 2013, 03:01 PM
has anyone here eaten any sausage lately ?

gundriller I've been making and eating sausage lately. I've been grinding ten pounds of deer meat with three pounds of bacon parts and peices. I add a package of Highmountain breakfast sausage seasoning that you can get at Cabelas or order from the maker in Wyoming. I grind it twice and press it out into patties with a hamburger press then freeze it in packages of eight patties. I just take patties out of the freezer and fry them up a couple at a time. It's really good and I can eat a lot of it with beer. Sometimes all I have for a meal is sausage and beer. :-)

osoab
5th June 2013, 06:05 PM
Did you eat a kidney driller?

http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatvarKidneys.html

beef kidney Equivalents: One kidney = one pound Notes: Beef kidneys are tougher than lamb or veal kidneys, so they need to be cooked slowly using moist heat, say by braising them or adding them to a stew. To prepare them, first cut off the outer membrane, then cut them lengthwise to expose a white blob of fat in the middle, which should be discarded. Next, soak the kidney in acidulated water or buttermilk for about an hour. This will make the flavor much more mild. Substitutes: pork kidneys OR lamb kidneys (milder flavor, more tender) OR veal kidneys (milder flavor, more tender)

http://www.foodsubs.com/Photos/beefkidney.jpg

gunDriller
6th June 2013, 06:17 AM
Did you eat a kidney driller?

i'll never butcher another animal as long as i live.

or at least, until i get hungry.

i think the chickens got the kidneys. or the kidneys are still in the fridge.