PDA

View Full Version : Nickel hoarding

JonasMills
10th May 2013, 12:46 PM
Does anyone collect nickels en masse? Aside from silver I have also been holding every nickel that comes my way via change from grocery stores, shops, and stores. Several years ago a 5 cent U.S. nickel according to http://www.coinflation.com was worth over 7 cents, I think we will see that number again and higher in the future.

JohnQPublic
10th May 2013, 12:49 PM
Does anyone collect nickels en masse? Aside from silver I have also been holding every nickel that comes my way via change from grocery stores, shops, and stores. Several years ago a 5 cent U.S. nickel according to http://www.coinflation.com was worth over 7 cents, I think we will see that number again and higher in the future.

I also hold my nickels, and occassionally buy $20 worth at a time at the bank. I don't bother sorting penny rolls, but I do hold back pre-1982s if I catch them.

mamboni
10th May 2013, 01:00 PM
I don't think it's worth the slim margins, bulk and potential legal issues. Whatever happens to the price of nickel vis-a-vis inflation/devaluation will apply more to silver, IMHO.

JohnQPublic
10th May 2013, 01:03 PM
I don't think it's worth the slim margins, bulk and potential legal issues. Whatever happens to the price of nickel vis-a-vis inflation/devaluation will apply more to silver, IMHO.

I agree, but at the same time, there is no loss with holding your nickels (and even buying some). They will always be worth what you paid from them, and you can always spend them. No worse, and even a slight bit better than holding FRNs (other than the weight issue).

ximmy
10th May 2013, 01:06 PM
reminds me of this thread...

http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?68227-Got-tired-of-lugging-around-the-nickels-Ponce-told-me-to-buy&highlight=nickels+ponce

JonasMills
10th May 2013, 01:10 PM
I also hold my nickels, and occassionally buy $20 worth at a time at the bank. I don't bother sorting penny rolls, but I do hold back pre-1982s if I catch them.

I think it's a good idea, mostly everyone pre-1965 had no idea their silver change would rise in value. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the U.S. Mint decides to change the metal content in the nickel. At least for now anyone can buy nickels for face and very near melt value.

madfranks
10th May 2013, 01:11 PM
A while back, Andrea Gail had to sell off his nickel hoard, because it was too heavy to deal with when he moved residences. I agree with mamboni, the reasons that make holding nickels appealing applies to silver as well, and silver has more value per unit than nickel does.

Sparky
10th May 2013, 07:48 PM

I think this is true, in terms of making a practical choice. But I save them on principle. The thought of holding a circulating coin whose intrinsic value is equivalent to its face value is appealing to me. I must have them. :cool:

gunDriller
11th May 2013, 07:05 AM
i have about $80 face in copper pennies.

but my nickels were sacrificed at a moment of bill-paying.

JonasMills
11th May 2013, 02:45 PM
Check out and use the principles in the book The Richest Man in Babylon by George Clason and you'll never have to sacrifice any investment

Silver Rocket Bitches!
11th May 2013, 06:52 PM
Check out and use the principles in the book The Richest Man in Babylon by George Clason and you'll never have to sacrifice any investment

One of my favorite personal finance books ever. Can be read in one sitting and stays with you for a lifetime.

JonasMills
11th May 2013, 08:34 PM
One of my favorite personal finance books ever. Can be read in one sitting and stays with you for a lifetime.

Absolutely, the book changed my life