PDA

View Full Version : Sweet! first plastic gun in UK using a 3D printer- and then took it on board Eurostar

Cebu_4_2
13th May 2013, 09:56 AM
How Mail On Sunday 'printed' first plastic gun in UK using a 3D printer- and then took it on board Eurostar without being stopped in security scandal

Weapon capable of firing a live round smuggled on to packed Eurostar
Reporters passed unchallenged through airport-style security
Pistol produced using £1,700 machine to 'print' its components

By Simon Murphy (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=&authornamef=Simon+Murphy) and Russell Myers (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=&authornamef=Russell+Myers)
PUBLISHED: 15:56 EST, 11 May 2013 | UPDATED: 19:13 EST, 11 May 2013

The Mail On Sunday today exposes the massive international security risk posed by a gun that can be easily made with new 3D printers.

We built the weapon, which is capable of firing a live round, from blueprints available on the internet – then smuggled it on to a packed Eurostar train.

Two reporters passed completely unchallenged through strict airport-style security to carry the gun on to a London to Paris service in the weekend rush-hour, alongside hundreds of unsuspecting travellers.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/11/article-2323158-19BB05DB000005DC-67_634x467.jpg Reporter Simon Murphy carried the plastic gun on to a London to Paris service in the weekend rush-hour

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/11/article-2323158-19BB0615000005DC-485_634x463.jpg Once on board the packed 5.31pm Eurostar train on Friday, the reporters were able to assemble the pieces to create a fully functional firearm, and pose for pictures close to unsuspecting passengers

The pistol, capable of firing a deadly 0.38-calibre bullet, was produced in under 36 hours using a revolutionary £1,700 machine to ‘print’ its components. And because all the parts are plastic, they did not trigger the metal detectors all Euro-star passengers must pass through.

Last night, the train operator began an urgent investigation into the security breach as experts called for airports and public buildings to review their procedures in light of our revelations.

The Mail on Sunday pieced together the 16-part pistol – called
The Liberator by its creators – after downloading the designs. They were originally published by an American university student, who proved the design works by successfully firing a bullet on a shooting range.

More...

Blueprints for 3D-plastic gun remain freely available online despite State Department forcing the company behind the weapon to remove it from their site (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2322837/Blueprints-3D-plastic-gun-remain-freely-available-online-despite-State-Department-forcing-company-weapon-remove-site.html)
Blueprints for 3D-plastic gun downloaded 100,000 times in 2 days before the State Department orders the site to take down the weapon designs (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2322150/Blueprints-3D-plastic-gun-downloaded-100-000-times-2-days-State-Department-orders-site-weapon-designs.html)

The blueprints have since been downloaded more than 100,000 times and are now widely available, despite attempts to remove them.

Made entirely of plastic except for a small firing pin and ammunition, the gun presents a huge problem for security services around the world, as it can be broken down into parts that do not set off metal detectors and may not show up on conventional body and bag scanning devices.

To test the procedures at St Pancras International Station, the gun produced by the MoS was split into three pieces and concealed in the clothing of two reporters who bought standard class tickets to Paris.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/11/article-2323158-19BB0636000005DC-102_634x939.jpg

We then walked through the usual security procedures, manned by UK Border officials. We placed our luggage and metal objects, including loose change and watches, in plastic trays which were then passed through airport scanners. But although we were carrying parts of a potentially deadly weapon, we were able to walk through a metal detector without triggering the alarm.

While some passengers were patted down by security guards, we proceeded unchallenged to passport control, manned by French police.

Once on board the packed 5.31pm Eurostar train on Friday, we were able to assemble the pieces to create a fully functional firearm in just 30 seconds, and pose for pictures close to unsuspecting passengers.

We did not attempt to smuggle the firing pin or bullet for safety and legal reasons, but small metalitems could be easily concealed.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/11/article-2323158-19BB0626000005DC-387_634x1123.jpg

Last night, security experts and politicians said they were horrified at the implications of our investigation. Lord West, the former Labour security Minister, called for a review to see how the ‘extremely dangerous’ weapons could be better detected.

But he said he was ‘not surprised’ that Eurostar checks had failed to spot the weapon because they were so hard to detect. He said: ‘What we need is a review of how we can look at these things and how we can discover them more easily. That will take work and it will cost money.

‘These weapons are extremely dangerous because they are very difficult to detect with the methods we normally use. This is going to be a real problem, no doubt about it. People are going to have to rethink whether we need more checks.’

A Eurostar spokeswoman said last night: ‘Eurostar has a high level of security, with a number of checks as specified by the authorities in order to protect the integrity of the Channel Tunnel. We take any issue relating to security very seriously. We will be investigating immediately to fully understand the nature of this issue with our security partner which carries out checks on our behalf at St Pancras. We will also investigate the matter with the Department for Transport, who oversee our security operation, and specify the checks that need to be undertaken.’

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/11/article-2323158-19BB061A000005DC-532_634x941.jpg

The Transport Department said the UK had ‘one of the strictest transport security regimes in the world’ and added: ‘This is kept under constant review in response to new or emerging threats, but we do not comment on specifics for obvious reasons.’

Cody Wilson, a 25-year-old law student at the University of Texas spent the last year designing the weapon. A self-styled libertarian, he argues that everyone should have access to guns, and said last week: ‘I recognise the tool might be used to harm other people .  .  . it’s a gun. But I don’t think that’s a reason not to do it.’

The US State Department last week rushed to ban the plastic firearm, but security sources fear the worst after the document was uploaded to file-sharing websites.

One user, DakotaSmith, wrote: ‘This is the first in what will be an avalanche of undetectable, untraceable, easy-to-manufacture weapons that will turn the tables on evil-doers the world over. Share and enjoy.’

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/11/article-2323158-19BB05C5000005DC-306_306x423.jpg Reporter Simon Murphy puts the 3D gun together in the Eurostar toilet

Firearms experts advised The Mail on Sunday not to test whether the weapon would fire due to safety and legal concerns. But the lapse in security will shock travellers.

Chris Yates, an aviation security analyst, said: ‘If Eurostar security can be breached in this way, then so can airport security processes.

‘Authorities should be extremely worried. The obvious danger is that if you have the ability to print out a gun on a 3D printer from a blueprint downloaded online, then the probability is that a terrorist has that capability as well .  .  . which could have devastating consequences. They could potentially cause a problem at 38,000ft that would cause the aircraft to crash or be hijacked.’

Lord West added: ‘If you actually have to search people’s baggage and go through it all, travel becomes a misery and the terrorists, in a sense, have won. There has to be a balance.’ However, he said that more sophisticated scanners might be able to detect the 3D weapons.

All of the major parts of the model were made using a program which reads files that tell the printer how to create each component from layer upon layer of plastic.

The only other part of the gun is a 25mm metal piece, which acts as the firing pin, and can be purchased from any hardware store.

The pistol can only be fired once using a .38 calibre round before the plastic barrel has to be replaced.

The body of the gun was made in just a day with smaller parts taking only a matter of hours.
In order to comply with gun manufacturing regulations in the US, Mr Wilson purposely designed his weapon with a steel component in the handle to make it detectable.

But it is not essential, and the gun can still be fired without it.

The Home Office said: ‘The UK has some of the toughest gun laws in the world. Anyone wanting to manufacture or own a firearm, including one produced through 3D printing, would need a licence. Anyone manufacturing guns without a licence is liable to prosecution.’

The MoS, which carried out its investigations in the public interest, has now dismantled the gun.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/11/article-2323158-19A5EFAB000005DC-230_634x411.jpg The Liberator plastic gun is a simple single-shot weapon that fires a small .380-caliber bullet

Ponce
13th May 2013, 10:05 AM
I am getting tired of this crap, I can make one in a mill in two hours, 1/3 the size, only six parts.....even the real "Liberator" of WWII is smaller than his.....but of course made out of metal.......the only problem with mine is the short metal barrel....no pro, I can make it look like a minute microscope.

V

Horn
13th May 2013, 10:28 AM
We did not attempt to smuggle the firing pin or bullet for safety and legal reasons, but small metalitems could be easily concealed.

As there are no bullets available to fire on the European Continent.

Cebu_4_2
13th May 2013, 10:37 AM
As there are no bullets available to fire on the European Continent.

You serious?

Horn
13th May 2013, 10:55 AM
Two reporters passed completely unchallenged through strict airport-style security to carry the gun on to a London to Paris service in the weekend rush-hour, alongside hundreds of unsuspecting travellers.

What's the price of .38 ammo in London center?

Hitch
13th May 2013, 11:54 AM
That is the ugliest gun I've ever seen. While the technology is amazing, it just takes us further away from true craftsmanship that's all to disappearing already.

Cheap walmart plastic throw away society.

Horn
13th May 2013, 12:04 PM
I can only find inert ammo in the U.K.

Shami-Amourae
13th May 2013, 12:13 PM
That is the ugliest gun I've ever seen. While the technology is amazing, it just takes us further away from true craftsmanship that's all to disappearing already.

Cheap walmart plastic throw away society.

Believe me it will improve. Hopefully I can get a 3D printer this year and start designing these things myself.

Horn
13th May 2013, 12:45 PM
Believe me it will improve. Hopefully I can get a 3D printer this year and start designing these things myself.

You need enough beef of plastic to sustain the impact, hence the large block of plastic appearance.

Funny thing I remember is the guy hasn't even tested it yet, Could just blow up in your face?

Shami-Amourae
13th May 2013, 12:51 PM
I am getting tired of this crap, I can make one in a mill in two hours, 1/3 the size, only six parts.....even the real "Liberator" of WWII is smaller than his.....but of course made out of metal.......the only problem with mine is the short metal barrel....no pro, I can make it look like a minute microscope.

V

I know that it's easy to make zip guns. The point is people are now talking about how it is "easy" and more and more people will be doing it. This is a game changer in the gun rights movement where more and more people will be armed where they previously never could be.

What we need to focus on now is ammo distribution and creation. We need to find ways to get ammo to people who are inable to get it. That may be the next entrepreneurial enterprise for those of us in the Bitcoin/Tor/Atlantis community to make an online anonymous store to sell and ship ammo anywhere around the world to anyone and everyone with their newly printed/fabricated guns.

End the gun debate once and for all.

Shami-Amourae
13th May 2013, 12:54 PM
You need enough beef of plastic to sustain the impact, hence the large block of plastic appearance.

Funny thing I remember is the guy hasn't even tested it yet, Could just blow up in your face?

Well Cody Wilson's printer is like worth $8,000 and the UK model had a cheaper version, so you can see already in the printing quality that is is low quality just when you compare the pictures of each.

Again, this technology is new. No shit it's going to suck at first. Crypto-Anarchy is the solution to statist tyranny. There will be new materials, and new compounds developed, just give it time. My Ruger LCR has a polymer frame. It's light, strong, and get's the job done. Polymers are getting stronger and stronger every year.

gunDriller
13th May 2013, 01:16 PM
What we need to focus on now is ammo distribution and creation. We need to find ways to get ammo to people who are inable to do it. That may be the next entrepreneurial enterprise for those of us in the Bitcoin/Tor/Atlantis community to make an online anonymous store to sell and ship ammo anywhere around the world to anyone and everyone with their newly printed/fabricated guns.

End the gun debate once and for all.

that is the big trick.

in terms of illegality & heat from the government, this is right up there with selling Oxycontin online - anonymously & safely. or detonators. anything that is thoroughly forbidden.

it's interesting that the State Department was involved in getting the one web-page's CAD file taken down. i could have sworn that was BATFE territory.

not that any of us ever gave BATFE the right to interfere in our activities. they certainly seem to think they have that right.

one website that has done impressive things, in terms of keeping free information free, is Erowid. i use "MDMA Synthesis" as a test search - they have info on many if not most drugs.

http://www.erowid.org/search.php?q=mdma+synthesis

so, why hasn't the DEA taken down Erowid ? because the US government has so much respect for the 1st Amendment ?

in the case of one drug website, "International Cannagraphic", my guess is, it's allowed to function because the proprietor works for MI-6. he has a military background, & travels around the world visiting marijuana grows and related things, like a 21st century version of High Times magazine.

so why is 'Gypsy Nirvana' allowed to function, when so many others have been shut down ?

of course, there is a difference. Drug Laws give the US government an opportunity to control people, one of their favorite things.

BUT - no one has attacked a US government agent with a Psilocybin Mushroom.

so i think the US gov. will be more tight-ass, in terms of controlling the Internet & guns, vs. controlling the Internet & drugs.

i suppose removing that CAD file from the website of that guy in Texas (?) is an example.

i think one of the answers will be gun-smithing clubs, re-loading clubs, things like that. that's not the same as selling ammo online - but it does put ammo in the hands of people who can use it, for its intended purpose.

madfranks
13th May 2013, 01:43 PM

So then all they proved was that you can "smuggle" plastic onto a train. Their little expose is totally worthless without the whole package.

And anyone else notice how generous they were with the word "deadly"? Deadly bullet, deadly precision made pats, deadly weapon, lol. And the guy (I think it's a guy, hard to tell) is trying to look like a bad ass holding it on the train? LOL!

madfranks
13th May 2013, 01:43 PM

Yes, it has been tested, successfully. The video is on youtube.

Hillbilly
13th May 2013, 01:46 PM
They'll just ban 3d printers and anyone who talks about them will be "Thought Criminals"

gunDriller
13th May 2013, 01:53 PM
So then all they proved was that you can "smuggle" plastic onto a train. Their little expose is totally worthless without the whole package.

And anyone else notice how generous they were with the word "deadly"? Deadly bullet, deadly precision made pats, deadly weapon, lol.

in some movie about killing a US president, i think with Clint Eastwood (In the Line of Duty ?), the 'bad guy' (Gary Busey ?) uses a ceramic gun, and the bullet is in his rabbit's foot key-chain.

How to Upset the DHS, TSA, FBI, and nearly every other US government agency: develop a bullet that doesn't use metal, or which has a design that allows the bullet itself to be snapped in, to a non-metallic-but-adequately-strong casing. a casing & propellant that doesn't show up on metal detectors.

or just develop a briefcase that has 50 or 100 bullets stashed in it. then sell it on the Internet.

chad
13th May 2013, 02:15 PM
the level of full idiot OH MY GOD fear is astounding. you'd think he smuggled aboard an icbm.

madfranks
13th May 2013, 03:22 PM
the level of full idiot OH MY GOD fear is astounding. you'd think he smuggled aboard an icbm.

You know how funny it would be if someone printed a dozen or so of these and simply mailed them to politicians all over the country. They'd shit their pants seeing the plastic shell in their mailboxes.

Shami-Amourae
13th May 2013, 03:45 PM
They'll just ban 3d printers and anyone who talks about them will be "Thought Criminals"

You can already print most of the components for 3D printers. Look up RepRap. It's a self replicating 3D printer.

sirgonzo420
13th May 2013, 04:09 PM
I can only find inert ammo in the U.K.

Apparently you don't know any Albanians.

General of Darkness
13th May 2013, 04:16 PM
The OP is a psyop if you ask me.

Hitch
13th May 2013, 04:29 PM

Exactly. There will be a false flag event before that though. Then afterwards, anyone who owns a 3d printer will be labeled a terrorist.

gunDriller
13th May 2013, 04:30 PM
The OP is a psyop if you ask me.

"True that" ... please excuse my slip into Ebonics. :)

the original post is a newspaper article. a lot of newspaper articles are psy-ops.

i think if we go back in the literature we find more than one gun produced via Stereolithography before Sandy Hook.

but the US gov. has managed to use circumstances to get people all riled up, so the idea of a gun prototyped using a technology that's got about 30 years of usage history suddenly became that much more appealing.

they haven't talked much about Sarin and Anthrax lately. i would say the Faux Terror Media Mix is becoming a little gun-heavy.

don't they have a quota for how many times they mention such poisons ? i thought it was about once a month, they have to have an article about "Bio-terror".

it's in the DHS "Israel did 9-11" Bullshit Terror War Manual.

remember a week after 9-11 there were those Anthrax letters, sent to Democratic Senators, etc. ?

Horn
13th May 2013, 05:15 PM
IMO, they need to 3d print an assault rifle firstly.

Like a guy with a dremel & a drill press couldn't do a better job of it anyways...

madfranks
13th May 2013, 06:22 PM
Just to show how easy it can be done, I smuggled a machete past the TSA and got it on my flight. It was a deadly weapon. But I did leave the metal blade off, for legal and safety reasons, but this proves how easy it is.

General of Darkness
13th May 2013, 06:34 PM
Just to show how easy it can be done, I smuggled a machete past the TSA and got it on my flight. It was a deadly weapon. But I did leave the metal blade off, for legal and safety reasons, but this proves how easy it is.

I think it's another attempt to ban 3D printers. It's all a fucking bullshit.

Mouse
13th May 2013, 08:16 PM
This is to get more intrusive scanners and searches. The rabidscan doesn't spot plastics....and it doesn't spot lots of pieces of plastic that haven't been assembled. You are going to have a hand toss of your baggage and person plus the microwave oven if you want to travel.

Horn
13th May 2013, 10:24 PM
I think it's another attempt to ban 3D printers. It's all a fucking bullshit.

Sure, China's got big money vested in printing cheap plastic crap like this.

Must be they're pressing for it hard.