PDA

View Full Version : 3D Printers, Meet Othermill: A CNC machine for your home office... V

Ponce
4th June 2013, 10:26 AM
As a X machinist I appreciate something like this.
=============================================

← Hundreds of Gunowners Show up in Temple, TX with Loaded Guns At the “Come and Take it” MarchCop Fired After Dash Cam Video Shows him Running Over Man for Not Wearing Seat Belt →3D Printers, Meet Othermill: A CNC machine for your home office
Posted on June 4, 2013 by Scott
Guns.com

3D printing may be Guns.com’s not so private obsession but even fanboys and girls forward thinkers like us have to admit, the technology faces some serious hurdles in the short game. Cost prohibitive, the purely additive process means that when it comes to home cooking, the chef’s ingredients are limited to plastics, plastics and plastics (and then, not quite the Nylon 6 hybrid we learned to love back in the 80s either), while, for many gunowners, the thought of a plastic barrel is still just a bit too much.
Today, the CNC (Computer Numerical Control) milling process is responsible for chiseling out most gun parts for most guns—frame, barrel, firing pin, internal components, all cut down from a hunk of metal by the spinning bit of a CNC machine. Now what if that was something you could set up next to your home computer? Well, a San Francisco based R&D firm may have just answered your prayers and not even really know it.

Otherfab, a San Francisco based R&D firm under the eponymous Otherlab, launched a Kickstarter campaign May 5 to fund the production of “a portable, computer controlled, 3-axis mill that is

Overhead view of Othermill.

specifically designed for use at home.” Their design, initiated under a government funded program aimed at getting ‘the kids’ interested in shop class again (o, the irony), claims to be portable (like take on the bus portable), clean and quiet (like do in your home office on your desk clean and quiet) yet also sophisticated enough to do high level electrical and mechanical prototyping work (like cutting out any shape your brain can think of, out of almost any material).

The project reached its original goal of $50,000 in less than 24 hours, so if promises made are promises fulfilled, we should see these machines in the homes of tech savvy DIYers by as early as August 2013. Donations continue to climb past $218,000 as we write this and Othermill has even set a stretch goal of $250,000 for June 4 to develop accompanying software to better shepherd those without an engineering degree but who still want to play with engineer toys.

Diagram of Othermill unit.

Capable of moving in three directions, the mill cuts by using a sharp rotating tool or cutter to reduce a slab of material (which could be wood, metal or polymers) to a predetermined shape. Controlled via computer software, this machine can produce designs of far greater complexity than could ever be achieved by hand. The unit itself will ship fully assembled and is only the size of a 10-inch box with a 5.5 x 4.5 x 1.4 inch work area. Any milling tool with a 1/8” diameter shank can be inserted into the spindle meaning, on limited scale, you’ve basically got unlimited material and cut options and at under $2000, the metal shaving Othermill is less thanthe TAZ printer and significantly less than other commercial 3D printers.

Though Otherfab makes much of the devices contribution to the pursuits of all those amateur jewelers out there, the machine could also just as easily lend its talents to any part that needs the CNC process on a handgun. If you got the cash (a pledge right now of $1,399 or more those these are going fast) and desire, you can get in line for yours here.

Othermill uses proprietary software to control and create designs.

Opinions aside, it’s getting harder and harder to deny that these DIY machines are drastically altering guns’ political, philosophical and heck,even industrial landscapes. Though technologies like Othermill may still seem a bit ambitious for the Cleavers, the rise of their star is symptomatic of a society thirsty for access to information and previously unattainable tools and these early home machines are only poised to become more refined and user friendly. With prices on printers dropping by the week, demand not strictly contingent on the wants and wallets of gunowners (Otherfab touts their hat-box sized CNC machine mostly for its ability to do fine circuitry work, and mentions nothing about 1911s), design downloading pawing anxiously at the starting gate and all this going on while wait times on new manufacturers’ guns have become a forgone conclusion, do-it-at-home guns are what’s written on our walls.

Now we’re not prophesizing the death of the firearms industry—far from it. Names like Smith & Wesson and Glock won’t be going anywhere any time soon as there will always be a market for fine firearms made by legacy makers (who offer support and a warranty) just the same as there will always be a market for people who would rather go out to eat at a restaurant than make their own food at home. Also, significance be damned, guns like the Liberator look like something found in a Kindergarten class not a deadly weapon, which, historically, has never been the way to gunowner’s hearts.

But in terms of what people know they are individually capable of in the manufacture of high quality defensive steel, the revolution is upon us. Which seems like a funny word because in many ways, access to technologies and information like this represents more of a return to tradition—to a time where every man worth his salt knew how to cast his own bullets, resize his barrel, forge his own sword…

Then as now, information and what we do with it defines our character and we truly live in an age of Information. This scares some more than others.

http://www.fromthetrenchesworldreport.com/3d-printers-meet-othermill-a-cnc-machine-for-your-home-office/46339

Cebu_4_2
4th June 2013, 01:17 PM
I think this is going to surpass the plastic 3D printer in no time.

Ares
4th June 2013, 01:30 PM

Start investing in foundries, they'll be the distributors of the raw materials in the future for those devices.

Cebu_4_2
4th June 2013, 03:11 PM
Start investing in foundries, they'll be the distributors of the raw materials in the future for those devices.

I'm already invested in metals ;)

mick silver
4th June 2013, 07:41 PM
Doubtful the motors have enough torque to do any kind of real work. this one has a motor to cut metal

http://www.machinetoolsalesonline.com/uploads/202/P5051287.jpg

Bigjon
4th June 2013, 09:20 PM
I came across this website a couple of years ago.
http://www.taigtools.com/cmill.html

CNC Mill

>MACHINE HIGHLIGHTS:

Advanced Bilevel Chopper Drive technology coupled with new 200 oz-in. stepper motors providing rapid traverse speeds of 30 inches/minute with High Motor Torque.
Step resolution of 0.000125 inches.

Precision Engineered Steel and Aluminum structural design.
STEEL CUTTING capability with tests showing a single pass 1/8" depth slot cut in mild steel with a 1/8" end mill -Try This on other desktop mills!
SHOP AND COMPARE the MicroMill to any other machine on the market today and decide which is the FASTEST, MOST PRECISION, POWERFUL, RUGGED, MOST CAPABLE and ECONOMICAL desktop machine on the market today!

The above 2 workpieces were done with the CNC Mill. The material was 60-61 aluminum.

MACHINE SPECIFICATIONS:
Maximum Travel Speed: 30 in/min.
HARDENED ER16 Spindle in Mill Head
Max cutter shank : 3/8 (with 3/8 ER16 collet)
Maximum Travel: X = 9.5", Y = 5.5", Z = 6.0"
Table dimensions 3 1/2 x 15 1/2 inches
Maximum Z distance to table : 8.0"
Z-Axis swivel 90 degrees
Mechanical Resolution: 0.0005 in.
Electrical Resolution: 0.00013 in.
Spindle Speeds: 1100-10000 RPM.
Rigid square tubular steel base and column construction.
X Axis - Hard Anodized cross slide table with 45 deg. dovetail.
Y Axis - Precisionly ground prismatic 90 deg. steel rail ways.
Z Axis - Steel box ways
Total Dimensions with motors 21" x 20" x 24".
Total Weight 85 lbs.

CNC MILL PRICE

2026ER CNC mill (3 1/2 x 15 1/2 inch table) with ER 16 Spindle and MACH3 software $2295.00
2027ER CNC mill (3 1/2 x 18 1/2 inch table) with ER 16 Spindle and MACH3 software $2495.00

MACHINING ACCESSORIES from TAIG TOOLS:
PART PRICE
1230A 1/16" MILLING CUTTER $11.75
1230B 3/32" MILLING CUTTER $11.75
1230C 1/8" MILLING CUTTER $11.75
1230D 5/32" MILLING CUTTER $11.75
1230E 3/16" MILLING CUTTER $11.75
1041ER-A 1/16" ER16 COLLET $9.85
1041ER-B 1/8" ER16 COLLET $9.85
1041ER-C 3/16" ER16 COLLET $9.85
1041ER-D 1/4" ER16 COLLET $9.85
1041ER-E 5/16" ER16 COLLET $9.85
1041ER-F 3/8" ER16 COLLET $9.85
1041ER-G 3/32" ER16 COLLET $9.85
1041ER-H 5/64" ER16 COLLET $9.85
1041ER-I 5/32" ER16 COLLET $9.85
1041ER-J 1/32" ER16 COLLET $9.85
1042ER ER16 COLLET NUT $12.00

Shami-Amourae
4th June 2013, 10:05 PM

No. We'll use both. Both devices are needed and have a purpose. I am saving up right now to buy my first 3D printer. I'm glad to see all my 3D mesh making skills able to do real life things. Most people 5 years ago would say making 3D meshes doesn't improve anything in society, but it will. It will be one of the most useful skills to have.

7th trump
5th June 2013, 04:17 AM
I've got two cnc machines sitting in the garage right now.
The best site in the web is www.cnczone.com to get everything you want to know and need about making your own cnc.

I highly recommend these guys http://www.evarobotics.com/evodrive/st-23/fw-a201-evodrive-st-23 for motor control. A little steep on the prices, but compared to a servo system which EVO turns cheap stepper motors into servo quality without all the steup............this is the best around.
There's nobody else better when it comes to stepper motor control......beats the $1,000.00 plus servo and Gecko systems all to hell.

goldleaf
5th June 2013, 08:57 AM
All the technology we have today is interesting, but I'm worried about the decline in hand craftmanship. We're rapidly becoming a nation of button pushers.

Ponce
5th June 2013, 09:06 AM
All the technology we have today is interesting, but I'm worried about the decline in hand craftmanship. We're rapidly becoming a nation of button pushers.

And that's why I always had a job as a engine lathe machinest.......every one wanted to be part of the push button generation because "that was the future", in the real future we will be going back to hand work and not just sitting back looking at the machine do the work.

V

JohnQPublic
5th June 2013, 09:19 AM
Here is a benchtop CNC for about $7000. Only 1 hp, but may be ok for some applications. Converts to a lathe, too.

http://www.tormach.com/product_pcnc_770_main.html

7th trump
5th June 2013, 09:58 AM

Nahhh........dont sweat it. Its all good......theres plenty of Cubans to go around to do the hands on engineering jobs we dont want to do.

7th trump
5th June 2013, 10:08 AM
Heres the best software out there to design in 2.5D and 3D.
This is my goal for my cnc machines besides designing and milling circuit boards.

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17371&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Vectric+Newsletter+-+Issue+42&utm_content=Vectric+Newsletter+-+Issue+42+CID_83a2d4e13da285678698f44d4b2b3875&utm_source=Campaign%20Monitor%20Jan%2011&utm_term=Professional%20Desk

Libertytree
5th June 2013, 10:24 AM
Or you could just make pizzas :)

NASA is funding a 3D food printer, and it'll start with pizza
NASA is funding research into 3D-printed food. As Quartz reveals, Mechanical engineer Anjan Contractor received a $125,000 grant (http://qz.com/86685/the-audacious-plan-to-end-hunger-with-3-d-printed-food/) from the agency to build a prototype 3D printer with the aim of automating food creation. It's hoped the system could provide astronauts food during long-distance space travel, but its creator has the loftier aim of solving the increasing food shortages around the world by cutting down on waste. The software for the printer will be open-source, while the hardware is based on the open-source RepRap Mendel (http://reprap.org/wiki/Mendel) 3D printer.

The concept is to use basic "building blocks" of food in replaceable powder cartridges. By combining each block, a wide range of foods should be able to be created by the printer. The cartridges will have a lifespan of 30 years, more than long enough to enable long-distance space travel. After proving his system works on a basic level by printing chocolate, Contractor will start his project within the next few weeks by attempting to print a pizza.

if someone invents a 3d printer that prints pizza I'm pretty sure the rules say you win the economy
— T.C. (@LaughingStoic) November 16, 2012 (https://twitter.com/LaughingStoic/status/269238594848317441) The pizza printer will first print a layer of dough, which will be cooked while being printed, before mixing tomato powder with water and oil to print a tomato sauce. The topping for the pizza will be a nondescript "protein layer." It's early days for the project, but if it's successful it would be a real milestone on the way towards a Star Trek-style Replicator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replicator_%28Star_Trek%29).

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4350948/nasa-funding-3d-food-printer-pizza

Ponce
5th June 2013, 11:41 AM
Nahhh........dont sweat it. Its all good......theres plenty of Cubans to go around to do the hands on engineering jobs we dont want to do.

You know it, and that's why my brothe,r who just came to the US four years ago, owns a furniture store and is thinking of openning a new one......he told me......"Don't be gready, buy at five and sell at seven instead of ten and you will have more repeat customers and referals from those customers"

V