PDA

View Full Version : tetanus - Help now!

Cebu_4_2
21st June 2013, 05:58 PM
Tetanus, my kid (not with me) stepped on a rusty nail, is a tetanus shot mandatory?

palani
21st June 2013, 06:01 PM
Do you enjoy conversations with him or would you enjoy a few months of quiet?

Cebu_4_2
21st June 2013, 06:26 PM
do you enjoy conversations with him or would you enjoy a few months of quiet?

wtf?

Jewboo
21st June 2013, 06:29 PM
Do you enjoy conversations with him or would you enjoy a few months of quiet?

lockjaw (http://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/tetanus/fact_sheet.htm)

Shami-Amourae
21st June 2013, 06:48 PM
I haven't had this happen to me, but based on my own knowledge I would do the following in this scenario.

Clean the wound with Hydrogen Peroxide (3% is best, food-grade is even better)
Soak the foot in warm water with epsom salt 2-3 times a day for 30 minute sessions each time
Rub lavender or tea tree oil (your local GNC should have it) on the wound with a Q-Tip gently after each epsom salt bath. Don't do too much, just like a drop or so.
Try keeping the foot unbandaged as much as possible so it can get a lot of air, and not use the foot.

Dogman
21st June 2013, 06:58 PM
All the above is good for surface wounds, but for a deep puncture No!

None of the above can touch the deepest part of the wound, So if he has not had a tetanus shot in the last 5-10 years or ever , get his ass down and have it done. Unless you can stick a q-tip with strong antibiotics directly into the wound until it hits bottom to clean it out. Sorta like a gun shot but at least gunshots mostly are sterile (bullet is but the crap it may carry into the wound maybe not)

Get him the shot and he will be good to go, why risk it. But then again?

Shami-Amourae
21st June 2013, 07:15 PM
I think allopathic medicine is more of a risk than the actual injury itself.

Children will turn autistic after some of those shots, and many more will permanently have auto-immune disorders.

Twisted Titan
21st June 2013, 07:25 PM
I just found out my wife allegic to the tetnaus shot.

Like deathly allerigic ( full body paralysis)

I would clean the area througly and evaluate him over the next several days.

Tough call either way

Dogman
21st June 2013, 07:32 PM
I just found out my wife allegic to the tetnaus shot.

Like deathly allerigic ( full body paralysis)

I would clean the area througly and evaluate him over the next several days.

Tough call either wayYes because the wound it deep and narrow and less that that, being a puncture and not a cut.

Dick_Stabber
21st June 2013, 07:40 PM
A rusty ice pick to the nuts I would have checked, not so much the foot. I maybe special, but have had many rusty ass shit stick me and have yet to get lock jaw. I'd worry more about getting shanked with a butter knife and getting aids. But that just me.

Ponce
21st June 2013, 08:13 PM
A shot is needed every five years......clean the wound and get him a shot.......unless you hated kids as much as I do.

V

Dogman
21st June 2013, 08:16 PM
A shot is needed every five years......clean the wound and get him a shot.......unless you hated kids as much as I do.

V

And I thought you were working into your second childhood! ;D sorta!

Ponce
21st June 2013, 08:25 PM
Hahahahahah, yes I am.......up till 1977 I had a hard life but after attending EST I unloaded my back pack and happy I am.

Life is not what the world gives you but what you take from it.

V

Bigjon
21st June 2013, 09:20 PM
My mom was a registered nurse and I stepped on more than one rusty nail. From age 7 til age 12 or 13 I only wore shoes for church during summer reccess.

No tetanus shots for me, mom would pour straight rubbing alcohol in a pan and make me soak my foot in it for a half hour or so.

ImaCannin
21st June 2013, 09:50 PM
Side Effects of A Tetanus Shot

☞ Severe side effects of tetanus shots include seizures, damage caused to the brain and coma. In case the side effects are very serious the patient may collapse. These conditions are rarely seen, therefore it is difficult to ascertain if they were indeed caused by the tetanus vaccine.

☞ Majority of people who get a tetanus shot, complain about pain in the area where the injection was given. This is the most common tetanus vaccination side effect, but it is not a serious side effect. In most cases, it is a case of muscle ache. You will have to speak to your health care professional, if the pain persists for more than a couple of days.

☞ Numbness in the area where the tetanus shot was given, is another common side effect. Within minutes of taking the shot, some people experience a feeling of numbness. On the area where the tetanus shot was taken, many people complain of a marble like hard sensation. In some cases, it may be seen that the pain radiated to the arms, shoulders and neck as well.

☞ One of the tetanus vaccine side effects includes fatigue and headache. Unless these symptoms last long, you need not worry about them. It tends to wear off on its own.

☞ Prolonged vomiting can also result out of a tetanus shot. If the vomiting does not stop on its own, it is advisable that you speak with your health care professional without wasting any time.

☞ Although uncommon, some people also suffer from diarrhea as a side effect of the tetanus shot. If you have diarrhea, remember to keep yourself well hydrated. If the symptoms of diarrhea, do not subside in a couple of days, you should have yourself checked from your physician.

☞ One of the side effects is mild body chills. If the chills are not mild, then do not waste any time, you need to have yourself checked by a health care professional.

☞ Some people suffer from fever as a tetanus shot side effect. The fever is often like flu fever and lasts just about a couple of days. Contact your doctor if the fever does not subside in a couple of days.

☞ There are people who can get allergic side effects of a tetanus vaccine. Skin rashes, itching, especially on the hands and legs, swelling and dizziness are some of the allergies that constitute the side effects of a tetanus shot. Be watchful for these symptoms and get them attended to as soon as you notice them.

☞ Hives is another side effect of a tetanus shot, although it is not a very common side effect.

☞ Often, people also complain of stomach pain after a tetanus shot. However, this symptom subsides on its own after a day or two. It is usually not an allergic reaction.

☞ One tetanus shot side effect in children, which is different from in adults is a decreased appetite. The tetanus shot for children contains the diphtheria vaccine as well. Some children cry for three or more hours after taking the tetanus shot. Some children also have high fever after they have taken the tetanus shot. Most of the other side effects in children are similar to those that are found in adults.

☞ Difficulty in breathing or swallowing is also another tetanus vaccination side effect. It is a serious condition, therefore medical advice should be sought for immediately.

☞ Swelling of the eyes and face also sometimes but rarely results from a tetanus shot.

☞ A rare side effect of a tetanus shot is the swelling of the sweat glands in the arm pits. This side effect is very rarely seen.
Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/tetanus-shot-side-effects.html

Son-of-Liberty
22nd June 2013, 12:07 AM
Does anyone know anyone who didn't get the shot and actually got tetanus? I have never met a person in real life who had tetanus. Personally I think it is more scare hype to push vaccines. I think I had a tetanus shot when I was a kid 20 years ago or so. Since then I have stepped on plenty of rusty nails (I am a roofer) gotten cut by rusty barbed wire and all sorts of stuff. Never got tetanus.

Bigjon
22nd June 2013, 12:25 AM
I just recently read about tetanus, wish I could remember where. Anyhow the gist of the article was that it was the disease that was never seen. I recall it said that the tetanus bug required an anaerobic environment and could only live where it was not exposed to oxygen. Any exposure to oxygen killed it.

vacuum
22nd June 2013, 01:28 AM
Tetanus is a naturally occurring bacteria that grows in an aerobic environment, so deep puncture wounds that seal up on the outside and where no air can get on the inside is the condition that allows the tetanus bacteria to grow.

If the wound wasn't too deep and it bled pretty good, then I think the danger of getting tetanus is very low. Wash it out real good.

If it was pretty deep and the outside is kind of closed, and you know the inside was never cleaned and perhaps there is still some dirt inside the wound, then it is possible he could get tetanus from that. It's not fatal, I'm not sure how rare or common it is, but I definitely wouldn't want to get it.

Cebu_4_2
22nd June 2013, 05:22 AM
I think allopathic medicine is more of a risk than the actual injury itself.

Children will turn autistic after some of those shots, and many more will permanently have auto-immune disorders.

He already has autoimmune... that was my concern. He got the shot and I told him to make some teas. The nail went in pretty far and he did bleed out, could also be a platelet issue as punctures don't bleed much usually. Should hear from him later, looks like he didn't go to bed til after 4 so I'll check back later.

Thanks all!

palani
22nd June 2013, 07:07 AM
My father castrated hogs one time and a couple of them got lockjaw. He ended up raising them to 220 lbs by feeding them milk from the dairy operation. They never did get over the disease though. They would slurp up milk by sticking their snout in the pail and sucking it up from the side.

The hog operations they have now would have ended up letting them starve to death.

gunDriller
22nd June 2013, 07:31 AM
Tetanus is a naturally occurring bacteria that grows in an aerobic environment, so deep puncture wounds that seal up on the outside and where no air can get on the inside is the condition that allows the tetanus bacteria to grow.

do you mean, an-aerobic ?

aerobic means, it needs air.

an-aerobic means, it doesn't need air.

Bigjon
22nd June 2013, 07:52 AM

If the wound wasn't too deep and it bled pretty good, then I think the danger of getting tetanus is very low. Wash it out real good.

If it was pretty deep and the outside is kind of closed, and you know the inside was never cleaned and perhaps there is still some dirt inside the wound, then it is possible he could get tetanus from that. It's not fatal, I'm not sure how rare or common it is, but I definitely wouldn't want to get it.

From the source we love to hate:

Tetanus is caused by the tetanus bacterium Clostridium tetani.[10] Tetanus is often associated with rust, especially rusty nails, but this concept is somewhat misleading. Objects that accumulate rust are often found outdoors, or in places that harbour anaerobic bacteria, but the rust itself does not cause tetanus nor does it contain more C. tetani bacteria. The rough surface of rusty metal merely provides a prime habitat for C. tetani endospores to reside in, and the nail affords a means to puncture skin and deliver endospores deep within the body at the site of the wound.

An endospore is a non-metabolizing survival structure that begins to metabolize and cause infection once in an adequate environment. Because C. tetani is an anaerobic bacterium, it and its endospores thrive in environments that lack oxygen. Hence, stepping on a nail (rusty or not) may result in a tetanus infection, as the low-oxygen (anaerobic) environment is caused by the oxidization of the same object that causes a puncture wound, delivering endospores to a suitable environment for growth.[11]

The article I read said that the high oxygen in a rusty nail made it a very unlikely place to pick up the tetanus germ.

Cebu_4_2
22nd June 2013, 09:20 AM
Apparently the nail was on a board that someone put across a small creek, with the nail pointing up (of course). So it was a wet rusty nail.

Neuro
23rd June 2013, 05:42 AM
Apparently the nail was on a board that someone put across a small creek, with the nail pointing up (of course). So it was a wet rusty nail.
Probably wouldn't had any c. Tetani bacterias on it, but for this time it doesn't matter anyway... Never heard of anyone ever getting lockjaw either...