PDA

View Full Version : And the world record for automobile longevity goes to....

midnight rambler
22nd June 2013, 08:53 AM
Irv Gordon's 1966 Volvo P1800 coupe set to turn over its 3 millionth mile -

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/3-millionth-mile-irv-gordon-66-volvo-p1800-195116553.html

Irv's Volvo has had the engine rebuilt only twice, and the transmission and rear end are original, never rebuilt. Pretty incredible, however I've seen a whole lot of Volvo's from the '60s on the road with hundreds of thousands of miles.

JohnQPublic
22nd June 2013, 08:57 AM
Irv Gordon's 1966 Volvo P1800 coupe set to turn over its 3 millionth mile -

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/3-millionth-mile-irv-gordon-66-volvo-p1800-195116553.html

Irv's Volvo has had the engine rebuilt only twice, and the transmission and rear end are original, never rebuilt. Pretty incredible, however I've seen a whole lot of Volvo's from the '60s on the road with hundreds of thousands of miles.

And those Toyota folks get all excited when they hit 300,000 miles! That's the modern, throw-away mentality, 10% rule.

milehi
22nd June 2013, 09:00 AM
I had a '89 Toyota 4Runner that finally blew a head gasket at 384,000 miles. I rebuilt the engine and sold it, and I still see it around town ten years later.

Horn
22nd June 2013, 09:14 AM
Pretty nice shape for being on Long Island, think it would be a bucket of rust.

madfranks
22nd June 2013, 09:59 AM
3 million miles on the original transmission? I didn't think that would be possible!

Cebu_4_2
22nd June 2013, 10:02 AM
Pretty nice shape for being on Long Island, think it would be a bucket of rust.

Yes there is no way to keep salt from getting in the nooks and crannies.

midnight rambler
22nd June 2013, 10:05 AM
3 million miles on the original transmission? I didn't think that would be possible!

I'm sure it's a stick, an automatic would never make it 500,000 under the best of circumstances. The rear end going that far is equally impressive, the bearings would certainly have been replaced I'd think. Volvo over-engineered their cars in the '60s, obviously they've backed off that notion, now in league with all the other manufacturers with 'programmed obsolescence' - we cannot have people keeping their cars on the road for 50-60 years, we have to keep selling new cars.

Ponce
22nd June 2013, 12:16 PM
Well, my little 91 Toy truck is still running like a dream......and even if I were to buy something new (which I wont) I would still keep my toy truck............. "TOYOTA= buy it today, drive it tomorrow".

V

madfranks
22nd June 2013, 01:22 PM
Well, my little 91 Toy truck is still running like a dream......and even if I were to buy something new (which I wont) I would still keep my toy truck............. "TOYOTA= buy it today, drive it tomorrow".

V

The only Toyota I've ever owned was a POS that kept breaking down until I scrapped it.

Hillbilly
22nd June 2013, 11:42 PM
it's the oil today that makes care wear out so fast. They took all the good things out of it for Smog reasons now it is shit. My Dad had an old chevy pickup with over 200k miles on it when he parked it, all he did was change the oil and tune it up. Diesels last so long today because their oil is exempt from the deq rules and so it is much better oil.

Bonate
23rd June 2013, 12:00 AM
I've never heard good things about Toyatas, but I do love the smaller trucks that they have. That being said I'd totally take a Volvo and its 3 million miles if I knew it was going to run for another year.

Ponce
23rd June 2013, 08:45 AM
The only Toyota I've ever owned was a POS that kept breaking down until I scrapped it.

You know Franks?......do as I do, don't choose your vehicle but let it choose you........when ever I buy a new one (done it twice) I walk down the line and I "feel" them and the one that feels right is the one that I buy........done also with my Honda 350, there were five of them.

V

JohnQPublic
23rd June 2013, 09:49 AM
it's the oil today that makes care wear out so fast. They took all the good things out of it for Smog reasons now it is shit. My Dad had an old chevy pickup with over 200k miles on it when he parked it, all he did was change the oil and tune it up. Diesels last so long today because their oil is exempt from the deq rules and so it is much better oil.

I am a big fan of diesels, including little diesels (like a VW sportwagen w/ 2l diesel).

JohnQPublic
23rd June 2013, 09:52 AM
I've never heard good things about Toyatas, but I do love the smaller trucks that they have. That being said I'd totally take a Volvo and its 3 million miles if I knew it was going to run for another year.

I am almost up to 200,000 (about 191,000 right now) on a 97 Camry V6. No serious problem's so far (I had one fuel injector go out maybe 70-80k ago, car still ran ok). I think this was the last year they made them in Japan. I bought it used at 70k in 2008 to manage the gas price increases. I get about 24 mpg mixed highway/city.