PDA

View Full Version : Bread Soaked in Malt Liquor for Catching Rodents ?

gunDriller
24th June 2013, 04:58 PM
I wanted to catch some rodents that are

CRAPPING ON MY TOOLS

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

However, I don't want to use poison - then you just get a dead rat crawling into a corner and stinking up the place.

Ground squirrel turds all over my Surface Grinder

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The LAST thing I want is a dead rotting rodent INSIDE my Surface Grinder

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

So I got some "deep wall buckets" - a 6 gallon bucket, and a 20 gallon Rubbermaid, and threw a half piece of bread in each one. Then soaked that in a can of some sweet disgusting 12% malt liquor alcohol that I literally found in a parking lot.

I put one bucket by the stairs, another in the garage next to something else that they might be able to crawl into.

If all goes well I will end up with a bucket and a rodent or 3, sleeping it off.

Anybody else have some good non-fatal cures for rodents ?

osoab
24th June 2013, 05:06 PM
Didn't you view the improved mouse trap thread?

gunDriller
24th June 2013, 05:44 PM
Didn't you view the improved mouse trap thread?

it must be in another section.

i wouldn't think it would be in the Cooking section. :)

osoab
24th June 2013, 05:49 PM
it must be in another section.

i wouldn't think it would be in the Cooking section. :)

A Better Mouse Trap (http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?70317-A-Better-Mouse-Trap&highlight=mouse+trap)

gunDriller
26th June 2013, 01:19 PM
A Better Mouse Trap (http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?70317-A-Better-Mouse-Trap&highlight=mouse+trap)

i did it. i used re-bar for the round steel part. had some OOOOOOOOOOOOOLD peanut butter, but i'm sure the rats will like it.

osoab
26th June 2013, 03:51 PM
i did it. i used re-bar for the round steel part. had some OOOOOOOOOOOOOLD peanut butter, but i'm sure the rats will like it.

Is your trap at least 2' deep to keep the rats from jumping. Might want 3'.

gunDriller
28th June 2013, 04:07 PM
i had the back door open - one of the little fvckers actually ran into my house, did one lap around the kitchen, and then went out the back door.

this is WAR :)

i emailed the humane society about getting a barn cat.

gunDriller
29th June 2013, 12:28 PM
GOT MY FIRST RAT !

it was in the water, still alive.

i put the bucket in the back of my truck. i was going to let it go next to the railroad tracks, there's a big wild area.

BUT - it drowned while i was driving the few miles.

so i'll make a carry-container out of a 6 gallon bucket and a 3 1/2 gallon bucket.

gunDriller
13th July 2013, 07:12 AM
Episode #4B:

caught another rat in the bucket. it drowned. it was a smaller rat.

then i bought a Have-a-Heart - 2, actually. it was 2 for $35 at the hardware store. i'm going to stick the smaller one in the attic, because i've been "hearing sounds."

caught one, tried to transfer it to my 'carrying container'. bad idea. it was like a fucking kangaroo. bounced out of there like it was on PCP.

caught another one. found a wild area near the same railroad tracks, but further away from the residential area. i figure some homeowners wouldn't take kindly to wild rats being released near their home.

will release it today on the way to the gym.

i also talked to a woman who was trying to find a home for her barn cat. she is interviewing potential cat-adopters like the cat is her own child. next thing you know, she will be asking to see my last 2 tax returns and will want to know if the cat will be living in an anti-Smitic household.

palani
13th July 2013, 09:05 AM
she is interviewing potential cat-adopters like the cat is her own child. next thing you know, she will be asking to see my last 2 tax returns and will want to know if the cat will be living in an anti-Smitic household.
Just tell her you catch and release rats and you just know she will find that you have a soft heart.

gunDriller
13th July 2013, 11:33 AM
Just tell her you catch and release rats and you just know she will find that you have a soft heart.

i think i freaked her out when i mentioned giving my chickens swimming lessons when they were babies.

but the Have-a-Heart traps are doing their job. i will have to email the woman and wish her and the kitty well.

i wouldn't mind having a cat, but the chickens make good pets and also, pets tie you down if you move. (thought obviously, it's easier finding a home that will take a cat than one that will take a chicken.)

now i'm wondering - what in FUCK do you do if you go out there some morning and there's a SKUNK in the trap ?

though Sir Gonzo might say i deserve such a fate. :)

palani
13th July 2013, 11:48 AM
what in FUCK do you do if you go out there some morning and there's a SKUNK in the trap ?

Count your lucky stars. It would keep the rats at bay.

chad
13th July 2013, 12:56 PM
it will work great if they are hood rats.

gunDriller
13th July 2013, 03:09 PM
i was thinking, grab a blanket and or plastic tarp, put on a ski cap, put on a face-mask/ welding shield, hold my breath, and throw the tarp over the cage.

then 'roll it up' to get tarp surrounding the cage, making sure to keep a layer of tarp between me and skunk's hind end.

and wear thick gloves.

then wrap another layer.

then walk into the police station and let him go free !

pioneer
13th July 2013, 06:26 PM
grab a can of starting ether, hit the scent glands ass end with the freezing ether, rendering them inoperable. then do the tarp thing. only thing that will get stink off of you is tomato juice. don't spray its face. if it conks out from the ether in its snout, it will lose all muscle control and you'll really get a load of stink on you.

gunDriller
14th July 2013, 10:17 AM
grab a can of starting ether, hit the scent glands ass end with the freezing ether, rendering them inoperable. then do the tarp thing. only thing that will get stink off of you is tomato juice. don't spray its face. if it conks out from the ether in its snout, it will lose all muscle control and you'll really get a load of stink on you.

thanks. i think :)

i was thinking i should start soaking the stale bread i put in the traps in cheap malt liquor. wondering if a drunk skunk is easier to handle.

could backfire though.