PDA

View Full Version : Gun deaths per State based on Gun Laws debate

Glass
24th June 2013, 07:47 PM
Can't think of a better way to put that. Debating effectiveness of gun laws in reducing gun deaths.

I can find stats that say:
60% of US gun deaths are suicide. 30,000 total deaths in 2011.
States with tighest gun laws have between 1/4 and 1/2 less gun deaths than relaxed states.
33%+ of guns in crime come from friends and family. 15% come from gun stores and <3% from Pawnbrokers

I cannot find anything that says:
Where the stats in 1 & 2 above come from.
2nd Ammendment states have lower gun crime than other states
What is considered tight gun laws and what is considered relaxed gun laws

Any one got some good stats I can source?

Hitch
25th June 2013, 08:47 AM
60% of US gun deaths are suicide. 30,000 total deaths in 2011.
States with tighest gun laws have between 1/4 and 1/2 less gun deaths than relaxed states.

Glass, I don't think these stats are right. Out of all the gun deaths I've personally seen first hand (fire dept and pd) not one suicide from a gun. I know of one, a coworker was alone at the firehouse, and a guy approached and shot himself in front of that poor fellow.

Furthermore, the states with the tightest gun laws seem to have the most crime, and the most gun violence.

Glass
25th June 2013, 06:29 PM
Glass, I don't think these stats are right. Out of all the gun deaths I've personally seen first hand (fire dept and pd) not one suicide from a gun. I know of one, a coworker was alone at the firehouse, and a guy approached and shot himself in front of that poor fellow.

Furthermore, the states with the tightest gun laws seem to have the most crime, and the most gun violence.

Hitcher, this is what I was believing as well on the stats which is why I asked. I also realised that every google link for the 1st 10 pages was refering to the same report which I think was originally posted on Bloomberg. That report was recent and was also heavily linked to searches on Boston and Sandy Hook.

I figured I would have to dig much deeper. Hoping someone already has a quick link to some good stats that refute what I am seeing atm.

Hitch
27th June 2013, 09:17 AM
Hitcher, this is what I was believing as well on the stats which is why I asked. I also realised that every google link for the 1st 10 pages was refering to the same report which I think was originally posted on Bloomberg. That report was recent and was also heavily linked to searches on Boston and Sandy Hook.

I figured I would have to dig much deeper. Hoping someone already has a quick link to some good stats that refute what I am seeing atm.

Sorry I couldn't help, my post was off the hip. Do you have a link to the original report?

Glass
27th June 2013, 04:27 PM
Thats all right. thanks Hitcher. Someone else posted a report on Guns ordered by Obama that shows while there were 29,000 gun deaths in 2011 and 19,000 of those were suicide, there were 100,000 self defence events that invovled a gun.

So 10,000 people killed in gun crimes and more than 100,000 people saved from gun crimes through self defence with a gun. I'll link the other thread when I can find it.

here we go posted by Cebu_4_2 (http://gold-silver.us/forum/member.php?3543-Cebu_4_2) : http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?70572-Report-on-Guns-Ordered-by-Obama-Says-Self-Defense-is-Common-Gun-Carriers-Less-Like