PDA

View Full Version : New US/UK Study: Conspiracy theorists’ sane; government dupes crazy, hostile

singular_me
13th July 2013, 02:23 PM
hanks again to MSM for happening to tell the truth.... every now and then

=======================================

New studies: ‘Conspiracy theorists’ sane; government dupes crazy, hostile; Government Dupes Crazy & Hostile!

Thursday, July 11, 2013

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/07/12/313399/conspiracy-theorists-vs-govt-dupes/

Recent studies by psychologists and social scientists in the US and UK suggest that contrary to mainstream media stereotypes, those labeled “conspiracy theorists” appear to be saner than those who accept the official versions of contested events.

The most recent study was published on July 8th by psychologists Michael J. Wood and Karen M. Douglas of the University of Kent (UK). Entitled “What about Building 7? A social psychological study of online discussion of 9/11 conspiracy theories,” the study compared “conspiracist” (pro-conspiracy theory) and “conventionalist” (anti-conspiracy) comments at news websites.

The authors were surprised to discover that it is now more conventional to leave so-called conspiracist comments than conventionalist ones: “Of the 2174 comments collected, 1459 were coded as conspiracist and 715 as conventionalist.” In other words, among people who comment on news articles, those who disbelieve government accounts of such events as 9/11 and the JFK assassination outnumber believers by more than two to one. That means it is the pro-conspiracy commenters who are expressing what is now the conventional wisdom, while the anti-conspiracy commenters are becoming a small, beleaguered minority.

Perhaps because their supposedly mainstream views no longer represent the majority, the anti-conspiracy commenters often displayed anger and hostility: “The research… showed that people who favoured the official account of 9/11 were generally more hostile when trying to persuade their rivals.”

Additionally, it turned out that the anti-conspiracy people were not only hostile, but fanatically attached to their own conspiracy theories as well. According to them, their own theory of 9/11 - a conspiracy theory holding that 19 Arabs, none of whom could fly planes with any proficiency, pulled off the crime of the century under the direction of a guy on dialysis in a cave in Afghanistan - was indisputably true. The so-called conspiracists, on the other hand, did not pretend to have a theory that completely explained the events of 9/11: “For people who think 9/11 was a government conspiracy, the focus is not on promoting a specific rival theory, but in trying to debunk the official account.”

In short, the new study by Wood and Douglas suggests that the negative stereotype of the conspiracy theorist - a hostile fanatic wedded to the truth of his own fringe theory - accurately describes the people who defend the official account of 9/11, not those who dispute it.

Additionally, the study found that so-called conspiracists discuss historical context (such as viewing the JFK assassination as a precedent for 9/11) more than anti-conspiracists. It also found that the so-called conspiracists to not like to be called “conspiracists” or “conspiracy theorists.”

Both of these findings are amplified in the new book Conspiracy Theory in America by political scientist Lance deHaven-Smith, published earlier this year by the University of Texas Press. Professor deHaven-Smith explains why people don’t like being called “conspiracy theorists”: The term was invented and put into wide circulation by the CIA to smear and defame people questioning the JFK assassination! “The CIA’s campaign to popularize the term ‘conspiracy theory’ and make conspiracy belief a target of ridicule and hostility must be credited, unfortunately, with being one of the most successful propaganda initiatives of all time.”

In other words, people who use the terms “conspiracy theory” and “conspiracy theorist” as an insult are doing so as the result of a well-documented, undisputed, historically-real conspiracy by the CIA to cover up the JFK assassination. That campaign, by the way, was completely illegal, and the CIA officers involved were criminals; the CIA is barred from all domestic activities, yet routinely breaks the law to conduct domestic operations ranging from propaganda to assassinations.

DeHaven-Smith also explains why those who doubt official explanations of high crimes are eager to discuss historical context. He points out that a very large number of conspiracy claims have turned out to be true, and that there appear to be strong relationships between many as-yet-unsolved “state crimes against democracy.” An obvious example is the link between the JFK and RFK assassinations, which both paved the way for presidencies that continued the Vietnam War. According to DeHaven-Smith, we should always discuss the “Kennedy assassinations” in the plural, because the two killings appear to have been aspects of the same larger crime.

Psychologist Laurie Manwell of the University of Guelph agrees that the CIA-designed “conspiracy theory” label impedes cognitive function. She points out, in an article published in American Behavioral Scientist (2010), that anti-conspiracy people are unable to think clearly about such apparent state crimes against democracy as 9/11 due to their inability to process information that conflicts with pre-existing belief.

In the same issue of ABS, University of Buffalo professor Steven Hoffman adds that anti-conspiracy people are typically prey to strong “confirmation bias” - that is, they seek out information that confirms their pre-existing beliefs, while using irrational mechanisms (such as the “conspiracy theory” label) to avoid conflicting information.

The extreme irrationality of those who attack “conspiracy theories” has been ably exposed by Communications professors Ginna Husting and Martin Orr of Boise State University. In a 2007 peer-reviewed article entitled “Dangerous Machinery: ‘Conspiracy Theorist’ as a Transpersonal Strategy of Exclusion,” they wrote:

“If I call you a conspiracy theorist, it matters little whether you have actually claimed that a conspiracy exists or whether you have simply raised an issue that I would rather avoid… By labeling you, I strategically exclude you from the sphere where public speech, debate, and conflict occur.”

But now, thanks to the internet, people who doubt official stories are no longer excluded from public conversation; the CIA’s 44-year-old campaign to stifle debate using the “conspiracy theory” smear is nearly worn-out. In academic studies, as in comments on news articles, pro-conspiracy voices are now more numerous - and more rational - than anti-conspiracy ones.

No wonder the anti-conspiracy people are sounding more and more like a bunch of hostile, paranoid cranks.

aeondaze
13th July 2013, 05:53 PM
Yes but that doesn't mean there is a conspiracy to withold secret knowledge about energy fields, atlantis or BS like that, it just means men have conspired and continue to conspire agaisnt the best interests of the people they claim to defend and represent...'cause I just know what your thinking, your likely to try use this as some wacky justification about the validity of esoteric power...people like you have actively contributed to the poor standing theorists of conspiracies have within the mainstream by promoting otlandish wacky BS, infact I'm convinced people like you are perhaps part of the conspiracy to keep hyperdemocracy at bay by the elites through the tried and true technique of 'poisoning the well'.

Besides, its a re-post anyway.

Horn
13th July 2013, 06:04 PM

Who would be so crazy as to not post a link to the original?

singular_me
15th July 2013, 01:43 PM
the best is not trying to convince anybody to embrace whatever idea... but exchanging info and the truth can only be confirmed when everybody does some extended homework.

esoteric is a word that means mysterious to the common man, knowledge restricted to small group... so, sorry pal, how can we ever agree on ideas/concepts when we even canT attribute the same value to ONE word. The world today is so compartmentalized and polarized that EVERYBODY can be suspected to help out the NWO, intentionally or not. And that you do not see this is alarming... because by acting this way people like you help keep the multi-layer deceptive Matrix as it is. To see through the fog, we all have to compare our data, calmly without any resentment... because the latter causes fear and fear is freezing up our minds. Hence prevents truth from prevailing.

what is so whacky to contemplate the possibility and the facts about prior and advanced civiliatiions. We have been lied to about just everything, why not history??... time to stretch your mind, folks.

Yes but that doesn't mean there is a conspiracy to withold secret knowledge about energy fields, atlantis or BS like that, it just means men have conspired and continue to conspire agaisnt the best interests of the people they claim to defend and represent...'cause I just know what your thinking, your likely to try use this as some wacky justification about the validity of esoteric power...people like you have actively contributed to the poor standing theorists of conspiracies have within the mainstream by promoting otlandish wacky BS, infact I'm convinced people like you are perhaps part of the conspiracy to keep hyperdemocracy at bay by the elites through the tried and true technique of 'poisoning the well'.

aeondaze
16th July 2013, 02:08 AM
the best is not trying to convince anybody to embrace whatever idea... but exchanging info and the truth can only be confirmed when everybody does some extended homework.

esoteric is a word that means mysterious to the common man, knowledge restricted to small group... so, sorry pal, how can we ever agree on ideas/concepts when we even canT attribute the same value to ONE word. The world today is so compartmentalized and polarized that EVERYBODY can be suspected to help out the NWO, intentionally or not. And that you do not see this is alarming... because by acting this way people like you help keep the multi-layer deceptive Matrix as it is. To see through the fog, we all have to compare our data, calmly without any resentment... because the latter causes fear and fear is freezing up our minds. Hence prevents truth from prevailing.

what is so whacky to contemplate the possibility and the facts about prior and advanced civiliatiions. We have been lied to about just everything, why not history??... time to stretch your mind, folks.

What your exchanging aren't ideas with any concrete measurable facts to define then but baseless claims, BIG BIG difference. If we didn't compartmentalize and differentiate anything we would still be crawling around a swamp or swinging from trees, it is the single most defining attribute to being human and your intention is to deride it?? Madness.

The reality of Intelectual and political polarisation I have no argument with and maintain that its a completley separate issue and again the reault of propoganda and the concrete observable efforts of men, not esoteric magical powers.

I don't care what definition you use to desribe 'esoteric' but the claims made on its behalf are again baseless, you have no data with which to back up these asertions. You can't claim that we don't know how to measure them, because we most certainly do, and the results....nothing, not even a statistical blip.

The problem you have is that you are happier chasing phantasm created by your mind rather than accepting the clear and obvious efforts of archaeologists for two hundred years, thats a lot of digging, and we've fond nothing at all that supports the assertion that man had advanced technology a 'long' time ago, not even a whiff.

Serpo
16th July 2013, 02:55 AM
What your exchanging aren't ideas with any concrete measurable facts to define then but baseless claims, BIG BIG difference. If we didn't compartmentalize and differentiate anything we would still be crawling around a swamp or swinging from trees, it is the single most defining attribute to being human and your intention is to deride it?? Madness.

The reality of Intelectual and political polarisation I have no argument with and maintain that its a completley separate issue and again the reault of propoganda and the concrete observable efforts of men, not esoteric magical powers.

I don't care what definition you use to desribe 'esoteric' but the claims made on its behalf are again baseless, you have no data with which to back up these asertions. You can't claim that we don't know how to measure them, because we most certainly do, and the results....nothing, not even a statistical blip.

The problem you have is that you are happier chasing phantasm created by your mind rather than accepting the clear and obvious efforts of archaeologists for two hundred years, thats a lot of digging, and we've fond nothing at all that supports the assertion that man had advanced technology a 'long' time ago, not even a whiff.

Poor ol singular ,she sure gets a hard time around here ..................

obvious efforts of archaeologists for two hundred years, thats a lot of digging, and we've fond nothing at all that supports the assertion that man had advanced technology a 'long' time ago, not even a whiff

are you serious ................

these stupid archaeologists are exactly that stupid and you buy into this..............

there is tons of this stuff
here is an example and if you want more instead of doing your own research ,just ask and I will show you more

look at this in the pyramids ,there is a of a helicopter and other modern stuff.

Even the pyramid today they say they coudnt build,,,,,,what does this mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCkmzftJkbE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCkmzftJkbE

study the guy in this video and see how much trouble he has faced in trying to bring hidden archeology into the light of day

[video=youtube;lFHwKmHfdo8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lFHwKmHfdo8#at=347 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lFHwKmHfdo8#at=347

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/23/300-million-year-old-tooth-gear_n_2527424.html

http://hallofthegods.org/articles/evidence-of-advanced-ancient-technology.html (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/23/300-million-year-old-tooth-gear_n_2527424.html)

Serpo
16th July 2013, 03:15 AM

I believe that the past has been suppressed from us and its unfortunate you dont like the way singular me expresses her self or are you just jumping on the band wagon in attacking her.

What I find the most wacky is people holding onto out dated ideas and insulting other people because their ideas dont match up with there own.

aeondaze
16th July 2013, 03:37 AM
serpo, with all due respect I'm not asking for anything. I've read widely on subjects from the early paleolithic through the mesolithic to the neolithic and then the bronze age.

I don't need imagined or misinterpreted glyphs of aircraft to explain our very human past, its already their for all to see. If the story it told was somehow incoherent then maybe there might some possibly that we need to re-interpret it, but it doesn't, it actually makes perfect sense as does the most widely accepted theory of those glyphs...

When examining the original hieroglyphs they are composed of standard known hieroglyphs, and the provocative images are commonly explained as being the result of erosion, and later adjustments, or palimpsest effect, i.e. re-writing over the original inscriptions that left parts of the older text visible creating the illusion of modern-looking machines.[1][2]

This is not to say that history hasn't been tampered with, ofcourse it has. Infact I am one of the main proponents for this during the classical greek and roman period with the destruction of the Great Library of Alexandria. But I most certainly stop short of claiming that secret hidden knowledge was destroyed, this is outright dangerous because it effectively plays down the importance of what was lost namely cultural practices of the people from the levant . People like the hyksos, cannanites, phoeniacians and habiru, it gets lost in a sea of sensationalist claptrap and gets viewed as pedestrian in comparison to the missleading claim that men from the past traversed the universe like gods.

To me this an utter disgrace and the result is that history exists in a stright jacket defined by a handfull of historians like Josephus Flavius, when we could be making some educated guesses about what actualy went on during the late bronze age destruction or even the true purport of Manthos' lost works.

Aliens, spaceships and Atlantis forcibly mixed in with actual history is a sideshow designed to distract us from the actual rewriting that has gone before.

Serpo
16th July 2013, 03:49 AM
what about the pyramids all over the world ,what about the video you didnt watch ,what about your insulting singular me

and this is a complete joke,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

When examining the original hieroglyphs they are composed of standard known hieroglyphs, and the provocative images are commonly explained as being the result of erosion, and later adjustments, or palimpsest effect, i.e. re-writing over the original inscriptions that left parts of the older text visible creating the illusion of modern-looking machines.[1][2]

aeondaze
16th July 2013, 04:00 AM
OK Serpo, just tell me where I insulted someone by stating I viewed their opinion as falacious? You are begining to sound irate and it is a good time to look at exactly what I said and what is in the OP...

In short, the new study by Wood and Douglas suggests that the negative stereotype of the conspiracy theorist - a hostile fanatic wedded to the truth of his own fringe theory - accurately describes the people who defend the official account of 9/11, not those who dispute it.

Sound familiar...?

We obviously have a lot more common ground in relation to the machninations of the NWO, what I don't understand is why we also need to believe this stuff as well. To me they are dimetrically opposed, one is imagined the other palpable and very real. The only logical reason I can think of is the tried and true technique of 'poisoning the well', of which I refuse to be a part of.

Serpo
16th July 2013, 04:40 AM
Some people have different ways of seeing the world , all people are different,until a person realises this they tend to attack the messenger.

I see things different to most people and singular sees things different also

post 2 is a little insulting dont you think

i respect everyone here and there opinions are there opinions ect

most believe in the physical world we live in and the teachings we have been taught

too me there is a lot more going on that we cannot see

the man in singulars signature I actually met and talked too once in Bombay India, he was a man that had great insight, this was 40 years ago now so it is like I have been on this path my whole life

it never stops as life flows on and always will its just that we are waking up ,a part of us that has been asleep

its not a matter of tearing down others to build ourselves up

Live in the moment

i mean the opening post isnt even her words ,she just posted it, its just an article and its not necessary to identify it so strongly with the person posting it

I found the OP interesting in that they said.............

those labeled “conspiracy theorists” appear to be saner than those who accept the official versions of contested events.

where as in the past these people where viewed as crack pots now they are saner, oh how the times change,

aeondaze
16th July 2013, 05:15 AM
Some people have different ways of seeing the world , all people are different,until a person realises this they tend to attack the messenger. I see things different to most people and singular sees things different also post 2 is a little insulting dont you think i respect everyone here and there opinions are there opinions ect
most believe in the physical world we live in and the teachings we have been taught too me there is a lot more going on that we cannot see

the man in singulars signature I actually met and talked too once in Bombay India, he was a man that had great insight, this was 40 years ago now so it is like I have been on this path my whole life it never stops as life flows on and always will its just that we are waking up ,a part of us that has been asleep its not a matter of tearing down others to build ourselves up. Live in the moment i mean the opening post isnt even her words ,she just posted it, its just an article and its not necessary to identify it so strongly with the person posting it, I found the OP interesting in that they said............. those labeled “conspiracy theorists” appear to be saner than those who accept the official versions of contested events, where as in the past these people where viewed as crack pots now they are saner, oh how the times change,

Thanks Serpo.

The bold stament and in fact the whole OP was in relation to government, corporate and banker conspiracy, not Atlantis and heiroglyphs.

I brought that up because I dislike how one article that vindicates conspiracy theorists who theorise about manipulation behind government scenes can potentially get misrepresented to represent theorists that belive there is coverup conspiracy of secret technology and hiden past technology. This was not the articles intent, to aportion that to the article would be to misrepresent what the author is claiming and drive another stake in the heart of the cospiracist community, discrediting them in the minds of the masses.

Post two was harsh, I admit. In some respects in needs to be becasue what we are dealing with here is well quoted by the article...

a hostile fanatic wedded to the truth of his own fringe theory

Jewboo
16th July 2013, 05:35 AM
I believe that the past has been suppressed from us and its unfortunate you don't like the way singular me expresses her self or are you just jumping on the band wagon in attacking her.

One example in this thread of Goldy and Serpo selling GSUS their usual esoteric new age nonsense:

http://www.openminds.tv/wp-content/uploads/todays_guest_hover.jpg

Dr. Ruth McKinley-Hover is a Ph.D. in Social Work.
She has worked with many who believe they may be being abducted by extraterrestrials.
She has facilitated group therapy sessions, and helps these people cope with their experiences.

http://www.buddy-icons.info/img/smile/886.gif Goldy and Serpo http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hello/cute-alien-waving-hi-smiley-emoticon.gif

Horn
16th July 2013, 07:50 AM
To me they are dimetrically opposed, one is imagined the other palpable and very real. The only logical reason I can think of is the tried and true technique of 'poisoning the well', of which I refuse to be a part of.

Worry more for the myths that are widespread across the globe in the form of religions. I do believe there was a time that man was more advanced, if only in his relation to one another. Or a least traversing his universe (in sandals) closer to God

singular_me
16th July 2013, 01:00 PM
The problem you have is that you are happier chasing phantasm created by your mind rather than accepting the clear and obvious efforts of archaeologists for two hundred years, thats a lot of digging, and we've fond nothing at all that supports .......... The assertion that man had advanced technology a 'long' time ago, not even a whiff...............

because you think that the praramids were built by the ancient egyptiens? - Not one SERIOUS archeologist believes it nowaday Their computer models have found any explanations as how they were erect... enough said. But it seems as if you are compartimentalizing conspiracy theories as a whole, some are acceptable and others not... based on what: what you know?? Sorry, I will consirder all of them. We have the absolute proof that history was falsified for at least 3000 years and for what happened before that you seem to endorse "dont ask, dont tell"... unlike for you, my investrigation continues.

In general all I post on here is often sustained by scienses... sorry that you will never get that quantum physics is a reality and claims that our 3D world is an illusion. And you'd call that phatasms. :)

and dont worry, you have not been harsh with me, I have a thick skin. People like BOOK, dont impress me, all they can do is to resort to name calling

I love to come on here to SHAKE opinions then go back to my own life as I have other things to do. Those interested can message me and I dont mind exchanging good links with them via email. Most of what I see on the boards on here is NWO driven anxiety that is just consolidating the matrix of all deceptions. The evidence that quantum physics is correct. Can't you see it?

Serpo
16th July 2013, 01:06 PM
One example in this thread of Goldy and Serpo selling GSUS their usual esoteric new age nonsense:

http://www.openminds.tv/wp-content/uploads/todays_guest_hover.jpg

Dr. Ruth McKinley-Hover is a Ph.D. in Social Work.
She has worked with many who believe they may be being abducted by extraterrestrials.
She has facilitated group therapy sessions, and helps these people cope with their experiences.

http://www.buddy-icons.info/img/smile/886.gif Goldy and Serpo http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hello/cute-alien-waving-hi-smiley-emoticon.gif

Well I aint buying what you are selling ,thats for sure

So you dont think the past has been suppressed?

You must know something we dont ....what is it apart from tearing people down into little pieces and insulting them with your moronic behavior.

or are you like goldie said............

a hostile fanatic wedded to the truth of his own fringe theory .....hahahaha..................close to the mark me thinks

singular_me
16th July 2013, 01:38 PM
for some people like Book, we are the only intelligent life form and the most advanced .. in the entire multiverse... :) and if one talks about it, then one is possessed by the devil... no debate here, indeed.

Serpo
16th July 2013, 01:45 PM
Yes we dont want to think too broadly it maybe scary, our only defense is to destroy the messenger and then we will feel safe again ,safe.......

weird how it may be in fact be the other way round ,those with a limited thought pattern are the ones possessed.

still they are the majority and its nothing new unfortunatly

we await BOOKS torturous reply.............predictable..........

Book sounds like he is coming from some obscure christian religious sect.....................maybe this one...........programmed to the MAX............

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2365992/Gordon-Leighton-child-abuse-trial-orders-Jehovahs-Witness-leaders-evidence.html

Horn
16th July 2013, 01:47 PM
Book only wears 100% nylon socks,

this keeps him negatively grounded in the presence of his creator...