PDA

View Full Version : Statue Of Liberty

agnut
6th August 2013, 12:45 PM
I ran across this and thought it may be something to ponder as to where we Americans are today as opposed to what Americans were like in the late 1800s when it was gifted from the people of France to the people of America.

It may be best to google statue of liberty and scroll down to the wikipedia site. It is the fifth article.

Best wishes,

agnut

madfranks
6th August 2013, 01:27 PM
This is the fifth article in the Wikipedia entry for Statue of Liberty - is this the article you wanted to share?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Liberty#Fundraising.2C_criticism.2C_and_ construction_in_the_United_States

agnut
6th August 2013, 02:04 PM
Thanks madfranks. That is the one; I couldn't get the website address to come up to my satisfaction.

As I read this I couldn't help but think of how far we have devolved from those formative years of our country. And perhaps be seeing what we as a people could be, we could once take control of our freedoms which every person is entitled to.

Lots more to say but family is coming over.

Best wishes,

agnut

gunDriller
6th August 2013, 02:28 PM
"In 1984, the statue was closed to the public for the duration of the renovation. Workers erected scaffolding that obscured the statue from view. Liquid nitrogen was used to remove layers of paint that had been applied to the interior of the copper skin over decades, leaving two layers of coal tar, originally applied to plug leaks and prevent corrosion. Blasting with baking soda powder removed the tar without further damaging the copper.[127] The restorers' work was hampered by the asbestos-based substance that Bartholdi had used (ineffectively, as inspections showed) to prevent galvanic corrosion. Workers within the statue had to wear protective gear, dubbed "moon suits", with self-contained breathing circuits.[128] Larger holes in the copper skin were repaired, and new copper was added where necessary."

that's a lot of copper.

Detroit could use that copper to pay some bills.