PDA

View Full Version : Redwing Boots

Hitch
3rd October 2013, 06:58 PM
I am very disappointed with Redwing Boots. I've been a loyal customer for many years, always satisfied with their boots.

About 4 months ago, while shopping for a new pair, I noticed they are made in China now, instead of USA. I bought a pair anyway, the Irish Setter work boot. I bought it because this boot was extremely comfortable. Now, they are falling apart, badly. After only 4 months. I used to get 1 year of hard work out of a pair of Redwing boots. Their prices didn't change or go down. Still a $180 pair of work boots destroyed within just a few months.

Very disappointed and wanted to let you folks know. Also, if any of you can recommend a good work boot, I'd appreciate it. I'm shopping elsewhere. >:(

EE_
3rd October 2013, 07:00 PM
I am very disappointed with Redwing Boots. I've been a loyal customer for many years, always satisfied with their boots.

About 4 months ago, while shopping for a new pair, I noticed they are made in China now, instead of USA. I bought a pair anyway, the Irish Setter work boot. I bought it because this boot was extremely comfortable. Now, they are falling apart, badly. After only 4 months. I used to get 1 year of hard work out of a pair of Redwing boots. Their prices didn't change or go down. Still a $180 pair of work boots destroyed within just a few months.

Very disappointed and wanted to let you folks know. Also, if any of you can recommend a good work boot, I'd appreciate it. I'm shopping elsewhere. >:(

Man that sucks, I've worn only redwings for many many years.
Im pretty sure they will warrenty them if you take them back.

These are the best one's
http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/963-red-wing-shoes/963-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-brown

BrewTech
3rd October 2013, 07:01 PM
I'm looking for appropriate work footwear myself... looked into Redwing. What worked for automotive doesn't translate to a brewery environment. Bought some Sketchers workshoes but can already tell I'm going to regret the purchase.

Probrewer.com has at least one good threaqd on work boots...maybe you'll find some value?

Dogman
3rd October 2013, 07:04 PM
I used to like redwing's until a job I had 30 years or so ago, that I walked out of a new set in less than a week. Outdoor work and bad weather, I tried waterproofing them but no joy.

Hitch
3rd October 2013, 07:10 PM
Man that sucks, I've worn only redwings for many many years.
Im pretty sure they will warrenty them if you take them back.

You know, I think I will take them back. Redwing used to have a 1 year warranty on all their boots, unconditional. Since selling out to China, I wonder if they still do.

I will take them back. Thanks for the suggestion.

EE_
3rd October 2013, 07:12 PM
You know, I think I will take them back. Redwing used to have a 1 year warranty on all their boots, unconditional. Since selling out to China, I wonder if they still do.

I will take them back. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm sure you kept the receipt for income tax records

Jewboo
3rd October 2013, 07:13 PM
I'm looking for appropriate work footwear myself... looked into Redwing. What worked for automotive doesn't translate to a brewery environment.

I did that last winter. Went to Redwing. Went to Cabela's to checkout their Danners. Finally ordered THESE (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00275C50Y/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and am very happy.

Hitch
3rd October 2013, 07:23 PM
This is very interesting. Redwings got me on this one....I bought the "cheap" boot. The Irish Setter brand is the cheap one, made in China. No wonder I destroyed this pair so quickly. It says Redwings on the boot, so what did I know, thought it was their boot. I bought it from a genuine Redwings boot shop. Heads up!

I found this article under warranty information. The first paragraph says it all.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoes-warranty

Hitch
3rd October 2013, 07:38 PM
I did that last winter. Went to Redwing. Went to Cabela's to checkout their Danners. Finally ordered THESE (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00275C50Y/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and am very happy.

That looks like a nice boot, thanks. Wonder if I can find a local shop that sells them to get the right fit. Gotta try them on before buying.

Jewboo
3rd October 2013, 07:43 PM
That looks like a nice boot, thanks. Wonder if I can find a local shop that sells them to get the right fit. Gotta try them on before buying.

Exactly. Very important. These boots are true to size and very comfortable. No break in needed. Order the next size up if you want to wear a thick sock or your feet swell. Gore-Tex is nice working around puddles. The Cat5 vendor at Amazon allows returns for the wrong size. I got lucky on the first try.

BrewTech
3rd October 2013, 07:53 PM
Exactly. Very important. These boots are true to size and very comfortable. No break in needed. Order the next size up if you want to wear a thick sock or your feet swell. Gore-Tex is nice working around puddles. The Cat5 vendor at Amazon allows returns for the wrong size. I got lucky on the first try.

See? And I really mean it!

Hitch
3rd October 2013, 08:01 PM

These boots get amazing reviews. I found this pair, which seems identical to the pair you have, but has the extra steel toe protection. Steel toe is not required, but recommended and I think good to have. I've dropped things, shackles, etc, and the toe protection helped.

This is the boot I'm looking at.

http://www.amazon.com/Belleville-700ST-Waterproof-Steel-Leather/dp/B003X0FXJ2/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_2

Jewboo
3rd October 2013, 08:11 PM
This is the boot I'm looking at.

Still the same awesome boot but I passed on the steel toe because up here in Idaho, during a cold winter, we don't want a piece of frozen steel right next to our toes. If you need the toe protection get them.

Gotta say...the midsoles of these boots are wonderfully cushioned and yet still have genuine Vibram soles. Resole-able. Good ventilation. Designed for working on and issued to navy flight decks. Comfy. Fast speed lacing also.