PDA

View Full Version : Boehner prepares to let the US default

Ares
8th October 2013, 08:36 AM
The top Republican in the House of Representatives warned President Barack Obama over the weekend that he’s ready to let the United States default — and that the White House is to blame.

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) told ABC’s “This Week” on Sunday that Republicans in his chamber would not immediately honor the White House’s request to raise the US debt ceiling, setting the stage for what would be the first ever federal default in the history of the country. (LIARS - It Defaulted back in 1933. And I'm sure 1 to 2 times before that)

Answering whether he thinks a default is imminent, Boehner said, “That's the path we're on."

Boehner warned that Obama was "risking default by not having a conversation with us."

US Treasury Secretary Jack Lew told Fox News that defaulting on the country’s debt would be both “irresponsible” and “reckless.”

The Obama administration has urged Congress to raise the US debt ceiling, essentially increasing the amount of money that the US Treasury can borrow from other nations. Should the ceiling not be raised ahead of an October 17 deadline, however, the US is expected to default and likely damage further its reputation within the international community.

The Republican refusal to increase the debt ceiling in Congress comes amid a government shutdown expected to enter its second week on Tuesday. The reluctance of the GOP to approve a budget that includes President Obama’s hallmark Affordable Care Act turned chaotic last Tuesday when a 12 a.m. deadline came and went without a compromise.

Again, Republicans insist that catastrophe could be averted if the White House agrees to discuss its spending habits with Congress and perhaps reach a compromise ahead of the looming Oct. 17 deadline.

"The nation's credit is at risk because of the administration's refusal to sit down and have a conversation," Boehner told ABC's "This Week.”

According to Boehner, House Republicans are not interested in approving any "clean" debt limit bill. Instead, the speaker says the White House should engage in a conversation that could yield a compromise between both parties.

“I told the president, there’s no way we’re going to pass one. The votes are not in the House to pass a clean debt limit,” Boehner said. “And the President is risking default by not having a conversation with us.”

"I don't want the United States to default on its debt," Boehner said. "But I'm not going to raise the debt limit without a serious conversation about dealing with problems that are driving the debt up. It would be irresponsible of me to do this."

“He knows what my phone number is. All he has to do is call,” added Boehner.

As House Republicans and the White House remain locked in stalemate, figures on both the right and left largely agree a default would only worsen matters.(LIARS - Let the whole fucking thing fail. A good systemic reset would do us all a lot of good.)

“On the seventeenth we run out of our ability to borrow, and Congress is playing with fire," Lew, the treasurer, told CNN this week.

On Monday morning, National Economic Council Director Gene Sperling suggested that the White House may come up with a compromise that would call for a shot-term increase of debt ceiling in order to save the country from default.
At an event in Washington on Monday, Sperling told ABC reporter John Karl that a short-term deal wasn’t off the table.

"I think longer is better for economic certainty and jobs, but it is ultimately up to them," Sperling said of Congress.

http://rt.com/usa/speaker-boehner-ceiling-default-844/

Libertytree
8th October 2013, 09:06 AM
Zero will raise the limit by EO.

palani
8th October 2013, 09:20 AM
Zero will raise the limit by EO.

Impeachable act.

Celtic Rogue
8th October 2013, 09:21 AM
Obummer has not passed a budget since he took office. Now wants the debt ceiling raised to be able to borrow more form other countries and gibe the republicans nothing! LOL what a tool. I hate to say it but he has treated the White House and our nation like the welfare people treat the projects they live in within four years they have to be gutted and rebuilt. The only difference is he is squirreling Lots of money away to live in luxury when he runs from office... yes I meant run! 8-).

Libertytree
8th October 2013, 09:38 AM
Impeachable act.

All he has to do is say it's a matter of national security.

osoab
8th October 2013, 10:02 AM
Impeachable act.

If we impeach him, we validate everything Barry has done.

Sparky
8th October 2013, 10:06 AM
There is no chance of default, even if the debt limit is not raised. On average, the U.S. government receives approximately $6.8B in revenue every day, and makes debt interest payments of about $630M every day. The simplest solution would be to slowly delay payment of other obligations. Defaulting on the debt would be off the table.

Son-of-Liberty
8th October 2013, 10:13 AM
What if someone fucks up and forgets to make a payment in all the confusion of the shutdown and debt ceiling debate? It is the government after all.

madfranks
8th October 2013, 10:17 AM
Impeachable act.

Who would impeach him?

Ares
8th October 2013, 10:19 AM
Who would impeach him?

House would bring up charges, senate wouldn't do shit.

madfranks
8th October 2013, 10:21 AM
setting the stage for what would be the first ever federal default in the history of the country. (LIARS - It Defaulted back in 1933. And I'm sure 1 to 2 times before that)

Correct - if you held a US Gold Bond with a maturity date later than April 1933, you did not get your gold. The US defaulted on ALL outstanding gold bonds at that time. They paid in paper, after devaluing the dollar against gold.

The Obama administration has urged Congress to raise the US debt ceiling, essentially increasing the amount of money that the US Treasury can borrow from the Federal Reserve.

Fixed it for them. :)

palani
8th October 2013, 11:25 AM
U.S. defaulted on bond payments from the early 80s. At that time interest rates were running 15% and the bonds they defaulted on were paying 8-9%. After paying for 25 years (they were 30 year bonds) the U.S. just announced that they were not paying any more interest. The bond holders could hold on to them for 5 more years or cash them in immediately. At the time this announcement was made the bonds were paying around 3x passbook interest rates.

Certainly sounds like a default.

General of Darkness
8th October 2013, 11:41 AM
I believe this is a diversionary tactic. They're showing their cards to hide something else. Over the past few weeks I've been paying attention to ISON this whole deal in FEMA region 3 etc. My gut is telling me that something big is coming and this whole mess is just a pile of bullshit to cover up "something" else.

madfranks
8th October 2013, 12:10 PM
House would bring up charges, senate wouldn't do shit.

Exactly my point. Obama issues an EO authorizing the Treasury to borrow whatever amount is deemed necessary to keep the government from shutting down, with no ability to be impeached.

midnight rambler
8th October 2013, 12:15 PM
Not that I need to remind anyone here, but to put things into perspective Zero has never done even one single day of honest work in his entire life. That's where HE is coming from...

Libertytree
8th October 2013, 12:16 PM
Impeached? LMFAO!!

The current laws and EO's have his or any other presidents asses covered. They can do what they want, when they want and how they want at any given moment. Constitution? My ass. The SC? Another joke.

Cebu_4_2
8th October 2013, 12:34 PM
If we impeach him, we validate everything Barry has done.

A lot of people fail to see this tidbit. But as also mentioned they wont even impeach him let alone charge with treason.

Ares
8th October 2013, 12:45 PM
I believe this is a diversionary tactic. They're showing their cards to hide something else. Over the past few weeks I've been paying attention to ISON this whole deal in FEMA region 3 etc. My gut is telling me that something big is coming and this whole mess is just a pile of bullshit to cover up "something" else.

My new home state is just south of Region 3. But yeah I've been keeping an eye on that as well. Not sure what the hell is going on with that. Other nations don't appear to be doing the type of preparedness that the uSA.gov appears to be doing. I could be wrong, it could be more secret. But I just haven't seen it.

Did watch a video the other day supposedly of a Chinese image of ISON with 2 orbiting objects and one was a perfect cylinder. Now that's weird.

gunDriller
8th October 2013, 02:04 PM
Impeached? LMFAO!!

The current laws and EO's have his or any other presidents asses covered. They can do what they want, when they want and how they want at any given moment. Constitution? My ass. The SC? Another joke.

unfortunately, the kind of joke that -
A/ makes people cry over the loss of what was once a great nation, and
B/ makes people think about ex-pat-ing.