PDA

View Full Version : Oarfish predict earthquakes?

Large Sarge
20th October 2013, 05:05 AM
http://www.mediaite.com/online/did-oarfish-predict-the-japanese-earthquake/
Did Oarfish Predict The Japanese Earthquake?
by Alex Alvarez | 9:18 am, April 11th, 2011 Video
By now, you’re probably familiar with the idea that animals can often “predict” natural disasters and changes in weather with their behavior. Well, the humble oarfish, a long, serpentine fish found in warm waters around the world, may have helped the more observant become aware that an earthquake was about to hit Japan.
According to Japanese folklore, the appearance of oarfish (known as “Messengers from the Sea God’s Palace”) on and near beaches is said to be a sign that an earthquake can’t be too far off. And that’s just what happened between December of 2009 and March of this year – unusual numbers of oarfish, which are typically rarely seen, washed up on Japan’s shores.
A news report from early March asked whether the “sea serpents’ arrival” was “puzzling, or portentous:”
There have been reports of the fish being caught in stationary nets or drifting ashore since the start of winter. Some people theorize the phenomenon may foretell a big quake, but others aren’t so sure.
Apparently, the fish’s tendency to beach itself in anticipation of an earthquake is due to its ability to feel movements in seismic fault lines.

Silver Rocket Bitches!
20th October 2013, 08:09 AM
UH OH

Second giant "sea serpent" oarfish found in California
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57608335/second-giant-sea-serpent-oarfish-found-in-california/

Dogman
20th October 2013, 08:30 AM
I do think that most "critters" can sense what people and our instruments can not, or at least readily. There are too many cases documented on it happening to discredit them doing so.

Shami-Amourae
22nd October 2013, 06:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGwQ2lz2gKo

milehi
22nd October 2013, 08:48 AM
I'm not an oarfish, but I sensed something and split Southern California and have been circling the southwest waiting for California to drop into the sea. I brought everything a post apocalyptic movie says you need. Beautiful girl (Cherry 2000), a dog and fast car (Road Warrior) and a trunk full of fire arms. Too bad I have to go back to work in the morning.

chad
22nd October 2013, 09:11 AM
I'm not an oarfish, but I sensed something and split Southern California and have been circling the southwest waiting for California to drop into the sea. I brought everything a post apocalyptic movie says you need. Beautiful girl (Cherry 2000), a dog and fast car (Road Warrior) and a trunk full of fire arms. Too bad I have to go back to work in the morning.

we can only hope that your "sensing something" comes to pass. california cannot die fast enough for me.

Neuro
22nd October 2013, 09:13 AM
I just got this theory coming to me, that they use electrical or magnetic currents to navigate their surroundings in the depths, just like the eel does (coincidentally eels that migrate from Saragasso sea to Scandinavian fresh waters, are almost extinct in Scandinavia nowadays, maybe related to power lines going from Scandinavia to continental Europe the last few decades, getting their genetical electromagnetic 'map' out of whack. Probably an earthquake building up to happen generate electrical/magnetic pulses that may whack the electro/magnetic sensory system of the oarfish, and they can't navigate the ocean any longer, and they end up beaching themselves, and/or they loose their ability to detect prey electro/magnetically, and thus starve to death.

The implications are interesting also, maybe we humans should actually try to look at electrical magnetic tell tale signs for earthquakes instead of mechanical seismographic data, that to date hasn't improved our ability to predict major earthquakes one iota. I think I'll trust the oarfish more than seismologists anyway...

milehi
22nd October 2013, 09:14 AM
we can only hope that your "sensing something" comes to pass. california cannot die fast enough for me.

I've always wanted to surf Arizona.

Neuro
22nd October 2013, 09:18 AM
I've always wanted to surf Arizona.
May you live in interesting times! ;) Are you sure you're not an oarfish? ;D

EE_
22nd October 2013, 09:43 AM

I don't want to see our California friends die...maybe just see things get bad enough for all the unprepared, totally dependent on the government 'Liberals' to perish.
Maybe Cali can be rebuilt to a great place again.