PDA

View Full Version : Ever Had Goat-Burger ?

gunDriller
7th November 2013, 06:49 AM
I have recently switched from Walmart Cheapo (antibiotic-laced) Chicken to Safeway Beef.

i try to find the beef on sale (30% off, once in a while 50% off, if you buy it on the expiration date).

i cook it well-done, to KILL THE GERMS.

also, i sometimes see people offering free goats and i have a place where i can keep goats (once i build a decent fence).

Question #1 -
What does Goat taste like ?

Question #2 -
If Goat is Lean, does it benefit from the inclusion of some beef fat ? ... i hear you can buy beef fat fairly cheap from some butcher shops.

Shami-Amourae
7th November 2013, 07:06 AM
Mutton (goat meat) tastes like goat.

But you want the exact taste, it's sort of like a cross between lean beef and venison. Personally I have no clue why it's not more popular in the West. I cooked it at a restaurant I worked at, the chef was Vietnamese. He did it like pulled pork, but it was pulled mutton instead. I liked it a lot.

One of the downsides is it is very lean, so you have to cook it in a way that it retains moisture so it doesn't stay dry. Maybe that's why it's not popular in the West, I don't know. I buy tubs of cow lard from Walmart (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Morrell-Snow-Cap-Lard-4-lb/12443999) and cook with that. I fry in it, and I will mix it in with grass fed beef to add more flavor. I would study methods of cooking venison when doing goat, or just watch YouTube videos on it.

Goats are a very versatile animal. Keep in mind they also produce milk too. There's a lot of goat farmers out here where I live in Idaho. I can find just as much raw milk from goats as I can from cows. If I ever get my own land I want to get pygmy goats though since they are small and you can keep them as "pets". They produce milk and meat too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI2LHlSPoTc

Dogman
7th November 2013, 07:14 AM
Never in a burger, but have eaten/cooked goat many times in the past. It is hard for me to say exactly what the meat tastes like, not like beef and for sure not like "chicken" ;D But very tasty.

There is some grease but not much, tho the only way I have ever cooked goat was old style Cali/Mex/pacific island way.

Get a goat and butcher it and let it hang (I always hung overnight spraying it down with water now and then, to keep bugs away)

Get a keg of beer and start drinking, dig a hole/pit in the ground and build a hardwood fire in it. Drink beer and let fire burn for at least 3-4 hours or more building up a good bed of coals and heating the hole/pit.

Drink more beer, and cut goat up into sections and season then wrap with foil or wet burlap.

Scrape all of the coals out of fire pit and place packages in bottom of hole/pit and then cover with coals and then the dirt that came out of the hole.

Around the edges of the "pit" you can dig small holes and bury wrapped potatoes and other veg's that you want to cook.

Drink more beer.

After at least 7-8 hours (for one goat)(longer for a bunch of meat ) dig one of the packages up and test, if the meat falls off the bone then dig everything up and then enjoy.

Note, I do not think you can overcook meat this way. Have lost/forgotten meat packages buried in the pit and found the next day in the pit still warm/hot and good to eat.

Good eating!