PDA

View Full Version : Sour beers

JohnQPublic
12th November 2013, 04:47 PM
Anyone brew or like sour beers (i.e., lambics, kriek, etc.)?

I have tried a few in Belgium and like them a lot. Especially Oud Beersel Oud Kriek (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/828/2596) (see my review), but even the plain Lambics can be quite interesting.

I found a place in Ann Arbor Michigan that makes and serves sour beers made locally: The Jolly Pumpkin (http://www.jollypumpkin.com/) . They also have pubs in Traverse City and Dexter. The key to sour beers is open barrel fermentation and the right wild yeasts. The sours in Michigan are more mild than Belgium, but good.

I would love to see someone home brew a Kriek Lambic.

BrewTech
12th November 2013, 07:13 PM
I know a lot of homebrewers that do sours... in fact, bacterial fermentations are quickly taking center stage on the homebrewing scene, because of the challenging nature of these beers. One guy I know (only 21, but now works at a local, well-known brewery) did an all-brettanomyces IPA. Sour and hoppy, wasn't my thing, but I had to give him props for pulling it off.

I myself have never done a sour. I don't think my boss would be too keen on me potentially infecting the brewery with brett and/or lacto... LOL

I believe Tomme Arthur and Vinnie Cilurzo to be the prime authorities on wild fermentations (at least domestically).

Yeeeeeeah... I know them both personally... *sniff*

:p

Neuro
13th November 2013, 05:29 AM
The key to sour beers is open barrel fermentation and the right wild yeasts.
Hmmm... Does that mean I can make it in the bathtub?

BrewTech
13th November 2013, 06:24 AM
Hmmm... Does that mean I can make it in the bathtub?

I would go with an inoculated barrel, but that's just me... :)

Katmandu
17th November 2013, 06:06 PM
Anyone brew or like sour beers (i.e., lambics, kriek, etc.)?

I have tried a few in Belgium and like them a lot. Especially Oud Beersel Oud Kriek (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/828/2596) (see my review), but even the plain Lambics can be quite interesting.

I found a place in Ann Arbor Michigan that makes and serves sour beers made locally: The Jolly Pumpkin (http://www.jollypumpkin.com/) . They also have pubs in Traverse City and Dexter. The key to sour beers is open barrel fermentation and the right wild yeasts. The sours in Michigan are more mild than Belgium, but good.

I would love to see someone home brew a Kriek Lambic.

I love sour beers. I have tried about three in the past year: Avery Tart of Darkness and a couple others I don't remember. Next weekend will be going to a tavern that should have Duchesse (Verhaeghe Duchesse De Bourgogne) on tap.

BrewTech
18th November 2013, 07:03 AM
I love sour beers. I have tried about three in the past year: Avery Tart of Darkness and a couple others I don't remember. Next weekend will be going to a tavern that should have Duchesse (Verhaeghe Duchesse De Bourgogne) on tap.

Tart of Darkness is made by the Bruery, Fullerton CA. Nice sour. Duchesse seems to be a favorite among sour beer lovers as well.

Katmandu
18th November 2013, 05:39 PM
Tart of Darkness is made by the Bruery, Fullerton CA. Nice sour. Duchesse seems to be a favorite among sour beer lovers as well.

Uhh I knew that, really :) (yeah, yeah sure you did); have had Avery on my pallet a lot lately. Looking forward to Duchesse.

Neuro
19th November 2013, 05:26 AM
I would go with an inoculated barrel, but that's just me... :)
Maybe the same can be achieved by not cleaning the grind of the bathtub away... ;)

BrewTech
19th November 2013, 07:08 AM
Maybe the same can be achieved by not cleaning the grind of the bathtub away... ;)

Yum! Let us know how that goes!

Katmandu
24th November 2013, 09:54 AM
Tried a sample of Duchesse, but didn't get a full glass. Tart of Darkness is superior to Duchesses, IMO.

We hit three pubs and here are some of the better ones we enjoyed on tap:
Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (7.2 % ABV). Excellent, has a taste similar to Stone Enjoy By.
Chimay Triple Cinq Cents (8% ABV).
St. Bernardus Abt 12 (10.5% ABV).
Dogfish Burton Baton Imperial IPA (10% ABV).

And bottled:
Mikkeller Santa's Little Helper (10.9% ABV).
Stone Double Bastard (11.2 ABV).
Firestone Walker Double Jack Imperial IPA (9.5% ABV).

Needless to say it was an excellent night. --H H--

Libertytree
24th November 2013, 10:00 AM
I have a question for ya Katmandu. In regards to the St. Bernardus Abt 12, are there other beers that you would/could compare this to? I'm looking to make a mini batch of something like this for a friend and that's his favorite, I've been trying to find a clone kit at a reasonable price but have come up empty. So, maybe something in the same vein is possible.

Katmandu
24th November 2013, 10:21 AM
Libertytree the first that comes to mind would be Westvleteren 12, which is an extremely similar brew.

Also you might see if there is an inexpensive clone kit for Trappistes Rochefort 10.

I have to run right now, and I'm sure some others may come to mind later today.

Cheers.

Katmandu
24th November 2013, 01:59 PM
OK, Libertytree, if you strike out with the above, then here are some others that could come close. I have not tasted all of the ones below, but they do fit a similar family as the St. Bernardus Trappist/Quad/Belgium Strong Brown Ales.

Maybe if he has tried some of these, Brewtech can help provide some input about how close they are to St.Bernardus 12:

Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue) - Brouwerij Het Anker
The Sixth Glass - Boulevard Brewing Co. [I have a bottle of this at home and will be trying it in the next 2-3 wks].
Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend - Ommegang
Delirium Nocturnum - Brouwerij Huyghe
Val-Dieu Grand Cru - Brasserie de l'Abbaye du Val-Dieu [I had this about a year ago, but can't remember how close it is to SB12]
Achel Trappist Extra - Brouwerij der St. Benedictusabdij de Achelse
Kasteel Donker - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. [sweet and sugary]
Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
Salvation - Russian River
Abbaye Des Rocs Grand Cru Belgian Special Brown - Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs
Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) - Bières de Chimay S.A. [IMO, Chimay has a somewhat different taste than SB 12]
La Trappe Quadrupel (Oak Aged) - Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V. [somewhat lighter than SB 12]